The Student Room Group

Need help with my decision

Ok so i've applied to ICL for Biology with Management and UCL for Human Genetics
ICL offered me 34 overall, 6HL Bio, 6HL Chem, 5HL Eng
UCL offered me 32 overall, Must have 6,6,5 in HL any order.

These 2 are most probably gonna be my 2 accepts. However, the problem is I don't know which I should put as firm and which as insurance. I know insurance would suggest the course easier to get, but here's the issue: for ICL 34 overall I have no problem except for the 6 HL Chem. At the moment i'm at 5 and i feel it would take a substantial amount of work to get 6 so i'm worried about that. As for UCL i'm sure i have no problem getting it. Thus, should I risk ICL as firm, because if i don't get 6 HL Chem i' might have to go UCL (forget clearing for a min), but if I go UCL as insurance, then my accomodation is not guaranteed.

If i go UCL as firm because I know i can make the grade as well as ensure my accomodation, but I manage the 6HL Chem (which would mean I'd want to go to ICL), then isn't there a binding thing where I have to go to UCL and can't go to ICL? i.e. what if you get your firm choice but you want your insurance choice?
Reply 1
nistium
Ok so i've applied to ICL for Biology with Management and UCL for Human Genetics
ICL offered me 34 overall, 6HL Bio, 6HL Chem, 5HL Eng
UCL offered me 32 overall, Must have 6,6,5 in HL any order.

These 2 are most probably gonna be my 2 accepts. However, the problem is I don't know which I should put as firm and which as insurance. I know insurance would suggest the course easier to get, but here's the issue: for ICL 34 overall I have no problem except for the 6 HL Chem. At the moment i'm at 5 and i feel it would take a substantial amount of work to get 6 so i'm worried about that. As for UCL i'm sure i have no problem getting it. Thus, should I risk ICL as firm, because if i don't get 6 HL Chem i' might have to go UCL (forget clearing for a min), but if I go UCL as insurance, then my accomodation is not guaranteed.

If i go UCL as firm because I know i can make the grade as well as ensure my accomodation, but I manage the 6HL Chem (which would mean I'd want to go to ICL), then isn't there a binding thing where I have to go to UCL and can't go to ICL? i.e. what if you get your firm choice but you want your insurance choice?
I would say there's little to choose between them if you like both courses equally, if you do put UCL as firm and then get the grades for ICL then technically you have to go to UCL but in practice you can usually go to ur insurance if you call them both and arrange it.

As an aside if this bothers you I though UCL had a slightly better reputation for biological sciences and ICL for physical sciences
Reply 2
>>>>>>I would say there's little to choose between them if you like both courses equally, if you do put UCL as firm and then get the grades for ICL then technically you have to go to UCL but in practice you can usually go to ur insurance if you call them both and arrange it.
As an aside if this bothers you I though UCL had a slightly better reputation for biological sciences and ICL for physical sciences

Well for UCL I know that the knowledge of human genetics will be very useful because that is what I see as largely new territory in modern science (kinda like the internet 20 years ago). However I also like business and that's where the ICL course comes in. At the moment, I feel the ICL course is more interesting mainly because on the 3rd year I go and do Business in Tanaka. However, as for the knowledge that I will get out of it I feel I would get much more from UCL (sounds weird doesn't it?)... So there's another dilemma I guess. Anyhow, for those studying genetics/human genetics (esp. in UCL), what is it like? Amount of work, level of difficulty etc.

UCL got 9 in biological sciences, ICL got 18, so you're right that UCL is better for biological sciences.
Reply 3
Without knowing much about the universities and their qualities, I would say put ICL as your firm. This because if you do end up getting a 6 in Chem you'll regret not going to ICL (assuming that would be your preferred choice).
My friend was in the same situation last year (with Chemistry). She got the required overall grades but got a 5 in Chem when the uni required a 6. She called the uni and asked if they would accept her and they did.

I can't say about Chemistry in particular, but I don't think going to a 6 from a 5 is impossible. Yes, it requires a lot of work, but there's still time before the exams. So, if you're pretty sure about getting a 5, there is a good chance for you to get a 6 if you really really want to (and of course provided that your internal assessment allows you to get a 6).
Reply 4
starya
Without knowing much about the universities and their qualities, I would say put ICL as your firm. This because if you do end up getting a 6 in Chem you'll regret not going to ICL (assuming that would be your preferred choice).
My friend was in the same situation last year (with Chemistry). She got the required overall grades but got a 5 in Chem when the uni required a 6. She called the uni and asked if they would accept her and they did.

I can't say about Chemistry in particular, but I don't think going to a 6 from a 5 is impossible. Yes, it requires a lot of work, but there's still time before the exams. So, if you're pretty sure about getting a 5, there is a good chance for you to get a 6 if you really really want to (and of course provided that your internal assessment allows you to get a 6).

yah i agree.
Reply 5
Thanks a lot. I'll put Imperial on no.1 most likely. Now I've gotta get that 6...
UCL is one of, if not the top, place in the UK for molecular biology and biomedical sciences. The Wolfson institute (part of UCL) is a leading light in the world for research in these areas. ICL is not as strong in that area. To me there is simply no choice - you should be aiming to go to UCL it is probably the best place in the country to study what you wish to study.
Reply 7
What is all this 5 and 6 stuff? Some sort of equivalent to A levels?
Reply 8
ally22
What is all this 5 and 6 stuff? Some sort of equivalent to A levels?

They are IB subject grades, on a scale of 1-7, so yes, in a way I guess they are equivalent to A levels.
Reply 9
Forget about your offer and grades for a minute and think where you really want to go. Both are top institutions but you might enjoy university life more at one of them than the other. I'd base my choice on something like that rather than simply because one offer is higher than the other.

Taking into account what you've said though, one of my friends managed to go to his insurance choice to study Medicine despite achieving his firm grades. I doubt many people are lucky enough to be able to change their minds like my friend did, but I'm merely telling you the possibility exists.
Reply 10
You know what, I want to go to Imperial actually... I'm just kinda slowly realizing it (?!?!?!). Some people (and league tables) say UCL is better, some say ICL is better (or UCL is better in life science but ICL is better inn physical science) so to get rid of this problem I'll just assume they're both equally generally top unis, which they are, and just ignore it.

Latest

Trending

Trending