The Student Room Group

Maths-mechanics

I can't seem to solve this question :s-smilie:

A mass of 10 kg lies on a smooth horizontal table. It is connected by a light inextensible string passing over a smooth pulley at one side of the table to a mass of 8 kg that hangs freely. The 10 kg mass is also connected by light inextensible string passing over a smooth pulley at the opposite edge of the table to a mass of 5 kg that hangs freely also.

If the system is released from rest, find the acceleration of the system and the tensions in the strings.

Thanks in advance
Some hints:
What is a tension? (Sigma = F/A)
actio=reactio
F=m*a

How far did you get? Have you drawn it yet?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Treat each of the 3 masses as individual systems

For example 8gT1=8a8g-T_1 = 8a
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Nathanielle
Some hints:
What is a tension? (Sigma = F/A)
actio=reactio
F=m*a

How far did you get? Have you drawn it yet?

I have tried to, but it seems like I'm just going round and round in circles =/
Reply 4
Original post by LaylaK
I can't seem to solve this question :s-smilie:

A mass of 10 kg lies on a smooth horizontal table. It is connected by a light inextensible string passing over a smooth pulley at one side of the table to a mass of 8 kg that hangs freely. The 10 kg mass is also connected by light inextensible string passing over a smooth pulley at the opposite edge of the table to a mass of 5 kg that hangs freely also.

If the system is released from rest, find the acceleration of the system and the tensions in the strings.

Thanks in advance

Think about this in more detail. The 8kg mass that hangs freely will accelerate downwards due to gravity, This is connected to the 10 kg mass which will then be pulled towards the pulley because of the 8kg mass is accelerating downwards.

I recommend you watch this video here
It's not quite the same example you have but the principal is exactly the same.

P.S Bear in mind that because the 10kg is sitting on a smooth table there will be no frictional forces.
Reply 5

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem

Spoiler

Hang on why is it 10a?

T-5g=5a
8g-T=8a

So shouldn't it be 3g=13a ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by The medjai
Think about this in more detail. The 8kg mass that hangs freely will accelerate downwards due to gravity, This is connected to the 10 kg mass which will then be pulled towards the pulley because of the 8kg mass is accelerating downwards.

I recommend you watch this video here
It's not quite the same example you have but the principal is exactly the same.

P.S Bear in mind that because the 10kg is sitting on a smooth table there will be no frictional forces.

I actually get it now...!!! Thanks a lot and the video was great help X
8g-T=8a...1 T-1/4R=10a ...2 R-10g=0Equation 1 2 a=2.994
Original post by jennikalynch
8g-T=8a...1 T-1/4R=10a ...2 R-10g=0Equation 1 2 a=2.994

This thread is 9 years old, I hope they manage to sort it out by then.

Quick Reply

Latest