The Student Room Group

Is University of Manchester a good one?

Poll

Which is d univ with best graduate job prospects for Masters in Mechanical engg?

Hi friends,
I am a final year Mechanical Engg. student from India. I have applied for Masters (postgraduate) programs at the UK universities. I am interested in R & D , Aerospace, Automotives etc.

I have received conditional offer from:
University of Manchester- MSc Mechanical engg. design
University of Leeds- MSc Advanced Mechanical engg.

I am also inclined towards Edinburgh, however they dont have any interesting course ( according to me) in my domain. I would like suggestions which univ i shud go for? I still have plenty of time to start my application @ Bristol, southampton, sheffield etc. Please do suggest me whats the repo of Manchester, Leeds?? Is Edinburgh better than Manchester univ in my domain? all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a tonne

Scroll to see replies

I think Edinburgh is generally a more prestigious university than Manchester but I have no idea with regard to your course.
Reply 2
In general overall rankings? YES E>M

However, in specific engineering n technology field rankings... edinburgh is far behind manchester. ( Source- QS and TimesHigherEducation's this year rankings).

Moreover QS says that in terms of employer's reputation- Manchester is given 100/100 n is 9th ranked ... far far ahead of Edinburgh.... Now what will u suggest?
Reply 3
All the unis you mention have solid reputations in engineering. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Reply 4
@Maker- Thanks buddy. I am inclined towards manchester. It has solid tie-ups, a good course i wish for, cheaper tuition fee as compared to bristol/edinburgh, loads of top notch companies coming in job fair etc...i just wish to be sure which is the best one in the above mentioned list?
Reply 5
Neither Manchester nor Leeds have submitted anything related to Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering to the RAE, which imho isn't in their favour:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-mechanical-aeronautical-manufacturing-engineering

They are both good in General engineering and Electrical/Electronic Engineering though:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-electrical-engineering
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-general-engineering-mineral-mining
Reply 6
If they havent submitted wrks in the mechanical field, does tht mean its not good fr mechanical engg? Manchester brags a lot about their mechanical engg as its in the former UMIST campus i think ... now its getting more cnfusing
Manchester Is one of the best in the UK for mechanical engineering :smile: Also bear in mind in edinburgh most of the people there won't be paying anything which imo for me would annoy the hell out of me!

Unrelated but manchester do have Brian cox as a professor so automatic win :biggrin:
Reply 8
@Mrshinyshoes--U got anyone in ur knowledge who has done mechanical engg frm UoM??? it wud b really nice to have the inside knowledge
Reply 9
Original post by mrshinyshoes
Manchester Is one of the best in the UK for mechanical engineering :smile:

Why didn't they then submit anything to the RAE?

Also bear in mind in edinburgh most of the people there won't be paying anything which imo for me would annoy the hell out of me!

We're talking postgraduate here...

Unrelated but manchester do have Brian cox as a professor so automatic win :biggrin:

Indeed unrelated, it's unlikely you see him...

schumi2124
If they havent submitted wrks in the mechanical field, does tht mean its not good fr mechanical engg?

The RAE aims to measure the quality of the research. If they haven't submitted anything, then they haven't done any research in this field. Also, when submitting something, you can also see how many FTE research active staff a university has in this field. In these cases, it seems there are basically none research active staff in the field of mechanical engineering at both these universities, which would put me off or make me enquire more as to why they still offer a master degree in mechanical engineering - i.e. who are there experts in these fields, what have they achieved, what industrial connections do these universities have, what makes there course stand out compared to others, ....

Personally, I'd investigate those universities that have ranked well in the RAE for my chosen field first.
Reply 10
Here is the link of UoM where they tell us about their RAE standard in Mechanical, Aeronautical, civil engg field.

www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/research/quality/
Reply 11
N here is the list of their strategic partners . Manchester claims that it received 4th highest research grant in the whole UK.

www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/business/collaboration/partners/index.html
Reply 12
Yes it is a good one
Reply 13
Original post by schumi2124
Here is the link of UoM where they tell us about their RAE standard in Mechanical, Aeronautical, civil engg field.

www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/research/quality/

That's their submission for General Engineering. As I said, they didn't submit anything to Mechanical Engineering/Aeronautical Engineering. I would send them an email and question this though, maybe there's a simple explanation for this.
Reply 14
well when i m seeing RAE rankings, manchester lags behind...when i m seeing international rankings ( QS, SHANGHAI, TIMES HIgher edu)...manchester is far ahead of any univs i have mentioned...now this is making me feel nervous whether i m making a good choice by opting for UoM..... ofcourse if i email them, they will always say their univ is the best one ( after all who will not wish to sell their product)..... I am totally confused now....
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by c2uk
In these cases, it seems there are basically none research active staff in the field of mechanical engineering at both these universities, which would put me off or make me enquire more as to why they still offer a master degree in mechanical engineering - i.e. who are there experts in these fields, what have they achieved, what industrial connections do these universities have, what makes there course stand out compared to others.

Original post by c2uk
That's their submission for General Engineering. As I said, they didn't submit anything to Mechanical Engineering/Aeronautical Engineering. I would send them an email and question this though, maybe there's a simple explanation for this.

If you think that neither Manchester or Leeds Universities have any active staff in the field of mechanical engineering or that there even exists a "general engineering" discipline/research area then you are definitely not the best person to be offering "advice".

OP, Manchester and Leeds are some of the best universities in the UK for mechanical engineering. Manchester has one of the best reputations in the world but in the UK there is absolutely nothing between them so I would probably just go for the cheapest.
guys, dont listen to that smack dude, ^^^^, he always thinks he right and your wrong
Original post by James A
guys, dont listen to that smack dude, ^^^^, he always thinks he right and your wrong

To be fair, due to your extremely low intelligence levels I have never seen you make a post that is not utter rubbish, coupled with spelling mistakes that would embarrass your average ten year old.
Reply 18
Original post by Smack
If you think that neither Manchester or Leeds Universities have any active staff in the field of mechanical engineering or that there even exists a "general engineering" discipline/research area then you are definitely not the best person to be offering "advice".

OP, Manchester and Leeds are some of the best universities in the UK for mechanical engineering. Manchester has one of the best reputations in the world but in the UK there is absolutely nothing between them so I would probably just go for the cheapest.

Tell me then why does a General Engineering and a separate Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering units of assessment exist then for the purpose of the RAE? Seriously, I'd like to know this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Smack
To be fair, due to your extremely low intelligence levels I have never seen you make a post that is not utter rubbish, coupled with spelling mistakes that would embarrass your average ten year old.

i did it to get a response out of you muhahaha , you fell into the pitfall trap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending