(Original post by MayaNeal)
For my IB Global class I have to write a paper after watching a movie that pertains (not only in its setting) to WWII. We have to assess its origin, purpose, values and limitations.
I have compiled a list of movies with a short synopsis for each. I don't really know if this is appropriate use of this forum, sorry if it's not... I just hope somebody can make use of these as well.
1. Waterloo Bridge (1940)- On the eve of World War II, a British officer revisits Waterloo Bridge and recalls the young man he was at the beginning of World War I and the young ballerina he met just before he left for the front.
2. The Reader (2008)- Post-WWII Germany: Nearly a decade after his affair with an older woman came to a mysterious end, a law student re-encounters his former lover as she testifies in a war-crimes trial.
3. Cabaret (1972)- A female girlie club entertainer in Weimar Republic era Berlin romances two men while the Nazi Party rises to power around them.
4. The Good German (2006- While in post-war Berlin to cover the Potsdam Conference, an American military journalist is drawn into a murder investigation which involves his former mistress and his driver.
5. The Fallen (2004)- The story of ordinary men during WWII as seen from three different points of View.
6. The Black Book (Zwartboek) (2006)- In the Nazi-occupied Netherlands during World War II, a Jewish singer infiltrates the regional Gestapo headquarters for the Dutch resistance.
7. Valkyrie (2008)- Based on actual events, a plot to assassinate Hitler is unfurled during the height of WWII.
8. Miracle at St. Anna (2008)- Set in 1944 Italy, the story of four black American soldiers who get trapped in a Tuscan village during WWII.
9. Tea with Mussolini (1999)- Semi-autobiographical tale from the early life of director Franco Zeffirelli looks at the illegitimate son of an Italian businessman. The boy's mother has died, and he is raised by an Englishwoman in pre-WWII Fascist Italy.
10. Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)- In 1948, an American court in occupied Germany tries four Nazi judges for war crimes.
11. Hart’s War (2002)- A law student becomes a lieutenant during World War II, is captured and asked to defend a black prisoner of war falsely accused of murder.
12. Enemy at the Gates (2001)- During the WWII battle of Stalingrad, two snipers, a Russian, and a German, are locked in a battle of wills and marksmanship, while the Russian is boosted to the status of hero by a political official.
13. The Great Raid (2005)- Taking place towards the end of WWII, 500 American Soldiers have been entrapped in a camp for 3 years. Beginning to give up hope they will ever be rescued, a group of Rangers goes on a dangerous mission to try and save them.
14. Seven Years in Tibet (1997)- True story of Heinrich Harrer, an Austrian mountain climber who became friends with the Dalai Lama at the time of China's takeover of Tibet.
15. Lust, Caution (2007)- An espionage thriller set in WWII-era Shanghai, in which a young woman, Wang Jiazhi, gets swept up in a dangerous game of emotional intrigue with a powerful political figure, Mr. Yee.