The Student Room Group

How do I approach this guy (gay)

Basically there's this guy that I really do think is gay. Not because he's overtly feminine, but just from things I've heard amongst others. I'm not open about my sexuality, but i'm pretty sure everyone knows- i don't do anything with girls etc. and I don't encounter any form of bullying or those kinds of things.

He's in the year below me and I always catch him staring. Not like a hateful stare, though- the kind you just sort of do when you're interested in someone. It's just sort of something I've noticed, like when I'm sitting on a bench and he walks past me, when he turns the corner after the bench he'll sort of just look when he's walking past for a bit. I had to start a conversation on facebook chat because I needed to get details to contact someone else and he kind of just seemed quite overeager to chat hahaha, like lots of smiley faces and little things that seemed a little unusual.

I don't know how to approach the situation where I can get to know him. I mean not in a predating way or anything, just to weave out if i'm right or wrong, and if I'm wrong then just be friends and get over it. One of my good friends hangs out with him a lot. Does anyone have an idea of how I could find ways to get to know him ?
Original post by Anonymous
Basically there's this guy that I really do think is gay. Not because he's overtly feminine, but just from things I've heard amongst others. I'm not open about my sexuality, but i'm pretty sure everyone knows- i don't do anything with girls etc. and I don't encounter any form of bullying or those kinds of things.

He's in the year below me and I always catch him staring. Not like a hateful stare, though- the kind you just sort of do when you're interested in someone. It's just sort of something I've noticed, like when I'm sitting on a bench and he walks past me, when he turns the corner after the bench he'll sort of just look when he's walking past for a bit. I had to start a conversation on facebook chat because I needed to get details to contact someone else and he kind of just seemed quite overeager to chat hahaha, like lots of smiley faces and little things that seemed a little unusual.

I don't know how to approach the situation where I can get to know him. I mean not in a predating way or anything, just to weave out if i'm right or wrong, and if I'm wrong then just be friends and get over it. One of my good friends hangs out with him a lot. Does anyone have an idea of how I could find ways to get to know him ?

Just try and arrange a meeting between you and your friend when the other guy will be there.

Or, speak to him on facebook saying thank you for his help.
Reply 2
:<
Reply 3
Just speak to him on facebook more, if you think he seemed eager to speak to you then I'm sure he'll appreciate the effort on your part and will perhaps open up more to you. And when you see him staring next time, just give a look and a smile back. I wouldn't recommend this in all circumstances but if he seems interested then sometimes it does a world of good to take a bit of a risk and be a bit forward. Good luck and let us know what happens!
Reply 4
Original post by toddy21

Original post by toddy21
Just speak to him on facebook more, if you think he seemed eager to speak to you then I'm sure he'll appreciate the effort on your part and will perhaps open up more to you. And when you see him staring next time, just give a look and a smile back. I wouldn't recommend this in all circumstances but if he seems interested then sometimes it does a world of good to take a bit of a risk and be a bit forward. Good luck and let us know what happens!

I spent a bit of time with him this weekend with my friend, it was really nice. I'm pretty sure now that he's not gay, at the most curious, but I'm just going to assume he's not. But you know what, it's fine, I feel like I might have met someone that could be a good friend later on, so I'm happy! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
But you know what, it's fine, I feel like I might have met someone that could be a good friend later on, so I'm happy! :smile:

That's an awesome way to think about it. Still, never say never - some of the most unlikely candidates turn out to be gay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending