The Student Room Group

Reason why Rugby and Cricket are boring compared to football

Scroll to see replies

You won't see an average rugby player 'injure himself' because some prick with too much gel in his hair grazed his shin.
Love all 3 sports but there is nothing like a great 5 day cricket test match. The peaks, troughs and plateaus that make up a true rollercoaster ride in cricket are incredible. Beautiful game.

"What is human life but a game of cricket?" 3rd Duke of Dorchester

^The Duke has got it spot on.
Reply 62
I seem to have lost interest in football to the point where i can now only watch my own team, you can occasionally get a good game here and there but its just so bland now, and have you seen international football? its supposed to be the pinnacle of the game and it is by far the worst format, i would rather have a w**k with rusty aids infected razor blades then watch a euro qualifier against some former soviet union gobs***es. At least they aren't grossly overpaid c**ts who take themselves too seriously.

Give me Ballotelli over any other football personality anyday
Reply 63
Tbh the only reason your saying that is because England, alongside Scotland, are the only countries that play a style of rugby that is mentally and physically tiring to watch.
as a player and supporter of both I can safely say that rugby is better than football,as a contest, sport and exhibition it is waaaaay superior. rugby players are superior athletes too.

That said i find as a weekly/casual spectacle football is the kind of thing i can watch and follow every weekend, a good high profile rugby match is a special occasion.
When I watch football all I see is a bunch of people kicking a ball around (barring the obvious skill of a few people, Messi springs to mind). I’m sure there’s more to the sport, it’s just I don’t know enough about it to tell what’s going on. I think the same applies to rugby, it’s unbelievable if you understand what’s happening, assuming it’s a decent game, but if you don’t know much about it it probably looks like a bunch of large men running in to each other.
That said, I think rugby’s got more of a gladiatorial element to it, so maybe more entertaining than football to someone who doesn’t know anything about either.
rugby is for people with more class too, well rugby union anyways. Rugby league is not really noteworthy outside of NZ and australia
Reply 67
I prefer cricket to the other two.
Original post by py0alb

However a full day of cricket, or even consecutive days of cricket, just saps you of energy. Running around on hard ground in the hot sun for 7 hours is absolutely shattering, far more tiring than fannying round a football pitch and occasionally diving on the floor.

7 hours with lunch, tea breaks?
Reply 69
Original post by scoutzawwar
7 hours with lunch, tea breaks?

Cricketers spend a higher proportion of the total playing hours of Test match on the pitch than footballers do in a single game.

11am-6:30pm = 7.5 hours, with 1 hour break. 13.3% off the pitch

90 minutes with 15 minute break. 14.2% off the pitch
Original post by py0alb
Cricketers spend a higher proportion of the total playing hours of Test match on the pitch than footballers do in a single game.

11am-6:30pm = 7.5 hours, with 1 hour break. 13.3% off the pitch

90 minutes with 15 minute break. 14.2% off the pitch

You ignore the fact that football involves more movement then cricket in a shorter period of time.
Reply 71
Original post by scoutzawwar
You ignore the fact that football involves more movement then cricket in a shorter period of time.

What's that got to do with anything? :confused: Jogging involves more movement than both of them.
Personally i think Hurling and Gaelic football is prefrrable to soccar and cricket. Rugby is ok though
Reply 73
Rugby is quite good to watch but only during world cups really.
Original post by KingMessi
Obviously England. But, in the same vein, if you said 'If there were seven/five games between Manchester United and Leeds, who would you predict to win on paper?', obviously it'd be Man United. But Leeds managed to beat Man U. Both sports are unpredictable in certain contexts.

And it was f***ing electric!
Football is not limited to the upper class snobs.
Reply 76
Rugby and Cricket looks g*y but football doesnt, simple as that.
Cricket is too slow. The only time the country gets remotely excited is when one day cricket comes around. What kind of game can go on for 5 days and cluminate in a draw? It's madness.

Rugby is a little rough and it just doesn't make that nice viewing I guess.

Funny though, football is full of the biggest primadonnas and arses on this planet. I've actually gone quite off the game and only watch the occaional big match. The players' behaviour and lack of class really spoils it. It should be a family sport enjoyed by all, as it used to be. I love playing football though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by silent ninja
Cricket is too slow. The only time the country gets remotely excited is when one day cricket comes around. What kind of game can go on for 5 days and cluminate in a draw? It's madness.

Errr what? Big Test series like the Ashes gets hyped up beyond belief. No-one even notices or cares who is playing the ODIs or T20s.

take last year: I know England beat Australia 3-1, Sri Lanka 1-0, then India 4-0 in the Test series. I can remember the exact details of every game. Me and the guys in my cricket team had all night parties to watch the Ashes and went to some of the games this summer.

I assume england played ODIs against Australia, Sri Lanka and India as well, but I have no idea who won what or anything about it and i bet none of the other guys could either. This is pretty typical of cricket fans.
They're all boring :colonhash:

Quick Reply