The Student Room Group

Reason why Rugby and Cricket are boring compared to football

Theres only a handfull of nations competing in both rugby and cricket.
Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Boring is subjective.

Yeah, I gave the boring answer.

Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
Boring is subjective.

Yeah, I gave the boring answer.

isnt there any discussion on this forum that can't be reduced to ''but its all subjective, man1!!''
Reply 3
That is a very stupid reason. Rugby is better because it's more intense, and has more suspense. Cricket is also a great sport, but it isn't much to watch sometimes.
Reply 4
Original post by defuzion
isnt there any discussion on this forum that can't be reduced to ''but its all subjective, man1!!''

Perhaps you didn't understand my post.
they seem too stoppy-starty for me, cricket especially. football only pauses for throw ins or kicks really.
Reply 6
There are over 90 teams that can compete in international rugby with several forms of competitions.
ranging from the commonly known six nations and tri nations to things like the viking tri competition (can't remember exact name) which is comprised of Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Others which have pakistan, China and Indonesia.
I'll acknowledge that the skill level still has quite a gap between top teams and lower ranked teams, but the gap has closed fairly dramatically over last couple of years makes for some great entertainment even from club level. So trying to say its boring cause of handful of nations is completely flawed!

Cricket is a bit different, it has developed along with old colonial countries (so not all of them). I would not say this makes it boring, hence why the Indian Premier league has become quite lucrative (cheerleaders and the sorts) wouldn't get that kinda money or attention if it was deemed boring, just the argument between twenty20 and test.
Test cricket is the epitome of entertainment. :coma:
Reply 8
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
they seem too stoppy-starty for me, cricket especially. football only pauses for throw ins or kicks really.

Have you watched rugby league? The ball hardly ever goes out of play.
I prefer Union myself though.
Reply 9
Football is more competitive, and fast paced. And full of surprised (England vs Spain) :tongue:

EDIT: Whats with the neg? No one predicted that spain would play that boring
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by scoutzawwar
Football is more competitive, and fast paced. And full of surprised (England vs Spain) :tongue:

What do you mean competitive? Every sport is competitive.
Cricket is boring compared to this, tbh

Original post by bendtner.is.sick
Theres only a handfull of nations competing in both rugby and cricket.
Discuss

That's irrelevant.
It's down to personal opinion. I prefer rugby because it's fast moving most of the time and it's tough. Cricket is ok, a bit slow for me. Football is ok but there's a lot wrong with it.

So I prefer rugby.
The gulf in class between top ranked teams and low ranked teams in cricket i.e. England and Canada and in rugby i.e. New Zealand and Zambia is smaller than the gulf in quality in international football i.e. between Spain and Pacific Samoa. More teams play football but that doesn't make it any more entertaining. I prefer cricket due to the varying formats, this provides entertainment for everyone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Silkysam
Have you watched rugby league? The ball hardly ever goes out of play.
I prefer Union myself though.

actually I've probably only watched about 3 rugby league games in my whole life.
Reply 15
I always liked football as a kid because it was really easy to play as in you didn't need many people, you didn't need proper rules, in fact you could just have fun kicking the ball about playing different games. Whenever I did play cricket, needed more than a couple people, you could be doing not a lot sometimes and the rules were more rigid. Never played rugby, never knew anyone who had a rugby ball and didn't/still don't know the rules.
Reply 16
The U.S is trying to play. Unrelated but what is the quality of this university match?

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Football is the best.

However I also like rugby union.
Original post by Silkysam
What do you mean competitive? Every sport is competitive.

By competitive I mean that each team even though they may be underdogs in a match have the chance to win the match.
You rarely see underdogs winning in cricket.
Reply 19
If you compared Premier League Football to Premiership Rugby, then football might stand a chance.

But international football compared to international rugby? It's a non-contest.

Test Cricket is perhaps a little inaccessible to the uneducated, but what do you expect from the ultimate sporting contest ever invented? You have to put something in to get something out.

Quick Reply