The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

PGCE English Sussex Interview help

Hi everyone! I really need some tips for an English pgce interview, especially by anyone who has had one at Sussex! As I went to school abroad, I feel that im at a disadvantage cos i have no alevels or gces..we dont do them in Cyprus. so pls pls help me on how to have the best interview possible so i dont lose the place !!
Reply 1
I don't know about the specific interview at Sussex, but I am an Oxford applicant so I can offer some advice I've picked up from articles, etc.

Generally, I expect universities to look for interest outside your syllabus, or wide reading. This will depend on your subject. For something like Politics, catching up with the latest in the field is of course necessary, as well as reading periodicals. For something like English, go beyond the usual Austen or Bronte, with at least one brilliant text outside your syllabus that you can discuss during the interview.

I'm not too sure whether Sussex will look at this, as I assume their intake would generally be large (but also subject dependent). Teachability is good to show during your interview, willingness to listen and develop your ideas from your interviewer/teacher, and showing an aptitude for critical thought.

But the best advice for any interview is to LISTEN, then take a few extra seconds to absorb what the question is really about, then answer clearly and succinctly.

However, Oxford is looking for very specific qualities in applicants, with very specific interview formats, so it might not be in any way similar to a Sussex interview - though it won't range far.

If you need more clarification, I suggest you drop a friendly e-mail to your undergraduate/postgraduate admissions office.

All the best!
(edited 12 years ago)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
^^^^

Original post by natalie_sep
Hi everyone! I really need some tips for an English pgce interview, especially by anyone who has had one at Sussex! As I went to school abroad, I feel that im at a disadvantage cos i have no alevels or gces..we dont do them in Cyprus. so pls pls help me on how to have the best interview possible so i dont lose the place !!
Reply 3
Original post by partickler
I don't know about the specific interview at Sussex, but I am an Oxford applicant so I can offer some advice I've picked up from articles, etc.
All the best!

thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest