Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you smile at strangers?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I've been out on public transport a lot recently and like others I spend a lot of time staring at people. Do you ever smile at the person you sit opposite to on the tube for example? How about walking down the road?

Sometimes when I'm in big cities (especially on the metro) I get a bit down: everyone seems cold, anonymous and unfriendly. It gets to me quite a bit. I kind of wish people could sit down and just talk to people or at least acknowledge one another. It's funny because literally any time I have engaged with anyone (e.g. asking for directions or help) they've always been accommodating and helpful.

So do you smile at strangers? Would you find it creepy if someone engaged in a conversation with you?

People in big cities need to be more friendly imo.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't smile at strangers, randomly when we arent talking or anything...that'd be strange.

And nah it's not creepy if a stranger talked to me, dont bother me. I encourage it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If I have to interact with them, like holding the door open, I will smile. Otherwise, I'll go about my business as they go about theirs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I smile at whoever I make eye contact with; life is too short to be miserable
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I try to find the people giving me a dirty look and give them one back, Usually instigating a argument.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hell no.

Smile at me and I'll shank you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I give people a smile every time we make eye contact. It's fine in Britain, very few people don't smile back, but if you ever go to Russia, don't do it. People think you are laughing at them or if you smile at men they think you are flirting. In Russia smiles are reserved for friends and family.

I also say hi to strangers sometimes, especially in quiet parks, on hiking trails and anyone my dog tries to engage with.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Only if they are old
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotteeee<3)
    Same, they often smile back. I'm just a man sharing the love and peace!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    + rep
    I believe this too ^^
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    All the time
    • 110 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if they smile a me first.

And then turn away and think in my head "what a weirdo".
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    I usually give people a little smile if they look my way.

I hate it when people start talking to me though, especially on metro. I'm really not a fan of small talk in situations like that, where you can't get away without being rude, and you have to pretend you're interested and nod every so often. If I'm on my way to or home from work, there's nothing I want to do except sit there and zone out.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I smile, but only a little one. Most people return a small smile, although some moody gits don't.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only if both of us make eye contact with each other...

if theyre male its usually maybe follow up with a nod if theyre in my halls haha
    if theyre female its usually :cool:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I smile at everyone. Most people in London seem shocked but always smile back

I do not do this when I am in the estates where I live (or other estates), there I screwface people for my own protection, true story :smug:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is me too. Completely agree.

Although when I smile at people in London, I get a surprised face before a smile back.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i always smile at people, and i get really angry when you smile at someone and they don't smile back! miserable bastards! i wont strike up conversation first, but i dont mind a bit of small talk
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Only when it's an awkward moment. Like when you and a stanger are walking in each others direction down a road and you go to walk on a side then you end up going on the same side then you eventually pass them and its obvious that they knew you messed up so you smile just to hide your embarassment. They usually don't smile back...well I live in a rough area so it's to be expected I guess :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I smile at people passing in the street, I have to admit it, I do love to smile at old people.
    The problem is, most people just keep their head down when they pass me. I mean I'd struggle to smile at one of the hoody wearing, tattoo loving, weed smoking chavs that surround me, but I'd still try. Plus the fact, I look nothing like the people who kind of scare me on the street. It's kind of sad really.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 15, 2011
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.