The Student Room Group

My ex wants to be friends

Long story short...

My ex broke up with me after 2 years of being in a relationship. His reason being, he was scared of commitment...

I tried to talk him out of it, but he'd already made up his mind.

He said he wants to be friends, and I said ok.

But is this a good idea? Considering I'm still well and truly in love with him and I want to try and get him back.

It has been about a month since we split.
Reply 1
Errm...me and my ex tried to stay friends but have basically ended up in a complicated situation which is more stress than it's worth.

My advice: if you wanna get him back, try and get him back. Otherwise, cut him out until you get over him.
Reply 2
yeah you can never be friends with your ex. to many emotions in the air
Reply 3
Just to add... He said he is scared of commitment now... But maybe some day in the future we will get back together... That's making me cling on to a tiny bit of hope!!
Reply 4
thats true there are to many feelings between you guys already ive never seen it work before. i guess its ok to stay friends as in hey long time no see but no in a lets chill this friday type of thing
just be friends especially if u guys live near each other or it becomes weird
Reply 6
It won't work; you'll just end up shagging each other like monkeys.
Original post by Anonymous
Just to add... He said he is scared of commitment now... But maybe some day in the future we will get back together... That's making me cling on to a tiny bit of hope!!

Sounds like he wants to play the field, but still considers you as an option once he gets it out of his system, or if he doesn't find something better. I imagine that probably does not sit to well with you. If you think it's worth holding out for the possibility of a reconciliation then go ahead and be his safety net. I would definitely recommend you get on with your own personal life in the meantime though. Otherwise, even if you do get back together, you may always resent the fact the he got to have all the fun on your little break.
Hmm I'll have to disagree with all the things said upper. As weird as it could sound my ex gf is now one of my very best friends. But you really need to give it some time after the break up. We waited about 2 months before talking to eachother again. If you still have strong feelings, then it won't be possible for you.
Reply 9
Yeah it's unlikely you'll be friends with an ex which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But initially you have to really cut contact and not talk to them for a few months until you've cleared the air/got past the break-up.
If YOU want to be friends with him in the future, be friends. But don't do it just because he wants you to - do it for yourself too.
dont be friends, my ex promised we would be best friends and i was still in love with him, so when he moved on and got a new girlfriend because i was 'his friend' he came to me for advice about her and he told me how much loved her etc and i was still in love with him :frown: and trust me it made me feel dreadful the strain got so bad that we had to cut contact with each other, his new gf also banned him from talking to me as she believed i was a threat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending