The Student Room Group

So what happens if I drop out? What's next?

A bit of background, I have dropped out before, but I had the full intention of going back to uni. I was at uni last year, for one semester, then left, and started again this September.

I'm thinking university isn't for me, but I feel lost about what I can do if I drop out. I didn't mind last time, because I knew I was going to reapply, but I don't want to reapply this time, I just want to leave uni and stop being a student because it's really not for me.

From being away from uni Jan-Sept this year, I know how hard finding a job is, so this doesn't excite me. My college really did drill university in, so I'm really clueless about what the alternatives are if I don't want to stay.

It's getting me really down, which obviously is impacting on my studies more.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If University isn't for you then do what you think is best. However personally I'd recommend you stay in University.

We cannot really give you a 'right' answer as we don't know how you feel, what you go through, how hard it will be for you if you stayed and how hard it will be for you if you drop out.
What's making you want to drop out, try and fix that problem and then you might not want to drop out?
Reply 3
Do what you think is best for you.

:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by lazy smurf
What's making you want to drop out, try and fix that problem and then you might not want to drop out?

Well basically it's more a question of what's keeping me here, because nothing is. I'm constantly down here, and I feel at the end of the day, I'm going to be dragging myself through three years of misery, for a degree that doesn't even lead me directly to anything (politics).

I'd much rather be earning and in a job. However, I'd want it to be a job where there is room for me to work my way up. I'm very scared of dropping out and landing a job where it's just a dead end. Obviously I'll take any job, but I'd like to know I could change jobs and end up having a good career still. I'm not stupid, I did quite well in my A-Levels with AAB, so I don't want to waste my potential.

I really do think dropping out is the best thing for me, as I just don't feel right here. I'm just wondering what my options are if I don't go to university...
Original post by impossible!
Well basically it's more a question of what's keeping me here, because nothing is. I'm constantly down here, and I feel at the end of the day, I'm going to be dragging myself through three years of misery, for a degree that doesn't even lead me directly to anything (politics).

I'd much rather be earning and in a job. However, I'd want it to be a job where there is room for me to work my way up. I'm very scared of dropping out and landing a job where it's just a dead end. Obviously I'll take any job, but I'd like to know I could change jobs and end up having a good career still. I'm not stupid, I did quite well in my A-Levels with AAB, so I don't want to waste my potential.

I really do think dropping out is the best thing for me, as I just don't feel right here. I'm just wondering what my options are if I don't go to university...

Well I'll tell you this, for at least a couple of years you will be at the bottom of any organisation you join, probably feeling undervalued. And dropping out of 2 degree's may not look that good on your CV.

So maybe complete 1st year, and transfer to a more practical degree that will open doors and be of some use to you?
ok you drop out....what exactly would you like to do for a living and gotta ask but how old are you? effects answer
Reply 7
Well I'll tell you this, for at least a couple of years you will be at the bottom of any organisation you join, probably feeling undervalued. And dropping out of 2 degree's may not look that good on your CV.

So maybe complete 1st year, and transfer to a more practical degree that will open doors and be of some use to you?

Yeah I know that, I don't expect to run in to a good job. Would it be necessary to mention that I've dropped out fo two degrees on my CV?

I don't know if I WILL complete first year, the way things are going. I tend to be so down I can't focus on my work, I don't know if I would pass Jan exams.

Original post by britishgoose01
ok you drop out....what exactly would you like to do for a living and gotta ask but how old are you? effects answer

I'm 19.
ah u see there you go, i say this every time, you need to come out of education and work,travel,have fun,basically get it out of your system, it does then, ul have a clearer mind what you want to do,
Yeah I know that, I don't expect to run in to a good job. Would it be necessary to mention that I've dropped out fo two degrees on my CV?

I don't know if I WILL complete first year, the way things are going. I tend to be so down I can't focus on my work, I don't know if I would pass Jan exams.

How would you explain 2 years of nothing on your CV?
Reply 10
Suck it up. Stop complaining and finish the goddamn degree that you chose.
Reply 11
How would you explain 2 years of nothing on your CV?

Good point. Aww man :frown:
Good point. Aww man :frown:

Don't worry tho, you have options.

Try and sort out whatever it is that's making you feel down, solutions are better than quitting, either complete your degree or transfer to another one.

Or get any job you can, explaining that you've been helping out the family, or travelling, or something you can convincingly cover your tracks with.
you can restart uni in your 20's you are classed as a mature student, they ask about gaps and all you gotta say is you were travelling world, but your keen and wanna get an education....all i did
Reply 14
Don't worry tho, you have options.

Try and sort out whatever it is that's making you feel down, solutions are better than quitting, either complete your degree or transfer to another one.

Or get any job you can, explaining that you've been helping out the family, or travelling, or something you can convincingly cover your tracks with.

I have considered starting again next year, at a uni closer to me so somewhere I may feel better.

There are a couple of things stopping me from doing this. Main one is the fee increase. If it wasn't for that, I would probably be straight in there on UCAS now, applying again.

Another big reason is...and I know I shouldn't care, but what my family would think. They were quite angry at me for wasting a year and money last time, let alone a third time. They would kill me. I don't think I'd tell them tbh.
I think britishgoose01 is right. I only say this as I took a break and I am now applying with a much clearer picture of what I need to be fulfilled and more importantly, happy.

I realise that politics doesn't directly lead you into anything but the skills developed are quite useful and you don't have to do anything related to your degree. You can go through the graduate training route, teaching etc.

Also may I ask why you choose this course/uni in the first place?
Reply 16
Original post by Productoflabour
I think britishgoose01 is right. I only say this as I took a break and I am now applying with a much clearer picture of what I need to be fulfilled and more importantly, happy.

I realise that politics doesn't directly lead you into anything but the skills developed are quite useful and you don't have to do anything related to your degree. You can go through the graduate training route, teaching etc.

Also may I ask why you choose this course/uni in the first place?

I couldn't tell you now, why I applied for Politics. I can't remember, and I don't know! I was doing Economics last year, and I feel in retrospect, I was much more passionate about that in the first place, than Politics. As for my uni, simple. I loved it on the open day, felt right at home, and very optimistic.

I don't know how I could take a break. What do you do in a break? Just work? I'm happy it worked out for you, I could see how it does.
Hmm, well that is a little bit interesting. Have you thought about a broad based social sciences degree? It had elements of the courses you have done so far. Conversely you expressed that politics isn't vocational so a SocSi perhaps wouldn't help you.

During my break I volunteered and worked for a charity. I am applying for social policy so this tied in really well and has given me insights as to what I would like to do after my degree.

I also travelled a little bit and basically got to know myself a little better. The good and the bad. Believe me there's a lot of bad!

I think it's quite hard for some people the whole school>college>university demands no wavering of self nor does it enable you to change your mind easily.

Work hard I believe the worst thing you could do right now would be to neglect your studies even though you find them demoralising. You may need you lectures etc for refs if you do leave. Give it till after Christmas the break might do you well. Is there anyone at your university you can talk to about all of this. If so go and ask them, your not the only person in your position.

I might have gone on a little but I really hope this helps. I'd also like to say that university isn't everything. You can do a lot without a degree.
(edited 12 years ago)
this is what to do, get a job, work for about a yr,save all of it up,then just go travelling, ppl gunna say this is a bad idea....there wrong
you travel,you meet ppl,you see the world, you then realise what there is out there to see and do, it then gets you thinking what you wanna do and how you can get there
yr later or sooner you get back, have made a decision and start uni, you get your degree and do what you wanna do,go where you wanna go...
Reply 19
May I bump the thread with another question, instead of starting another a thread?

Anyway, I think I've decided what I want to do, and that is drop out before my tuition is taken, and go to uni AGAIN next year. That will mean it's my third time going, which sounds pretty bad, right? Third time lucky :colondollar: It's the only option I can see right now though.

So, my parents will FLIP when I tell them what I want to do. They were bad enough last time. I can see a pretty big argument happening. Question is, should I care what my parents think? Because right now, they are literally the only thing stopping me from doing this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending