The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

DeMontfort University Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
I've already had my interview there, so if I seen your post earlier I could have told you what questions they would ask for Law.

How did your interview go and do you like the uni?

My interview, surprisingly, went a lot more smoother than I expected, mainly because my interviewer was so nice. I could only find positives about the Uni and I love how it's all on one campus; it gives it a great community feel. The new Hugh Aston building is amazing, so much better than the crumbling Uni of Leicester. I've still not checked out Uni of Lincoln, my final choice, and if I don't like there I'll definitely be firming DMU. :smile: .. I still haven't received an offer yet though, I'll be gutted if I don't get an offer.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 341
Original post by saggy8
My interview, surprisingly, went a lot more smoother than I expected, mainly because my interviewer was so nice. I could only find positives about the Uni and I love how it's all on one campus; it gives it a great community feel. The new Hugh Aston building is amazing, so much better than the crumbling Uni of Leicester. I've still not checked out Uni of Lincoln, my final choice, and if I don't like there I'll definitely be firming DMU. :smile: .. I still haven't received an offer yet though, I'll be gutted if I don't get an offer.

Im glad it went well for you. Yeah Ithought DMU was good too. They send offers about a week and a half adter you've had an interview so dont worry too much. Also, they will send you a letter with the offer as well, and this usually comes before the actual UCAS offer comes through.
Good luck!
Reply 342
Anyone got in to do Nursing at DMU :smile:?
Reply 343
i got accepted for contour fashion, anyone have any news for best accommodation for DMU ?
Congrats to all accepted!

I've just accepted De Monfort as my Prime choice, studying Business Management & Economics at Leicester business school. Considering this what's the best accommodation - I'd also prefer en suite bathrooms. Thanks guys!
Just got accepted for Fashion Design! :smile: yayy!
Original post by asmith152
I wasn't accepted for contour fashion so applied for just normal fashion at DMU..what was the interview like?

I had my interview on Tuesday and they are fine! The people doing the interviews are really nice, and it's very informal which makes the whole thing a lot more fun!
Original post by Afua93
Which halls of residence are you guys considering? :biggrin: and why?

I've heard Newarke Point is meant to be the nicest of the halls! Can't be too certain on this, but i know people at the uni and that's their opinion :smile:
I live in Bede, honest to God, I love it!

Newarke is nice, however, why pay so much extra to have a bathroom to yourself? They're tiny anyway!

I share with 9 others girls, and no-one I know who lives in Bede has had a problem sharing.
Bede is also the most leanient on having people stay.

You can only have on person stay over in newarke, no-one in Liberty, which also has the tiniest of bathrooms, I would AVOID Liberty!

Bede is the most sociable of Halls, It is the smallest with 3 stories, everyone knows each other, and Freshers was the best! We have a little courtyard and was such a ball!

The Bedrooms are soooo spacious here, and have the biggest kitchens with the most equipment.

Choose Bede!!! It's the best!!! Plusss one of the cheapest halls!

I booked my room when I got my results aswell, there will be plenty of spaces!

Jo
xx
Original post by ironandwine
Nope, they're the only university to have not got back to me yet... :dontknow:

Have you? :smile:

Good luck with Journalism! I study it here, and aswell as being a challenging course, it is also enjoyable!
Original post by Tchernov
http://www.infoline.ru/g23/5495/sensors.htm

Fiber optic sensors, components and experimental setups for educational
and R&D laboratories.

Investigation of mechanical resonators with the aid of fiber optic
interferometer Fabry-Perot.

heya, I did single honors.

So as you know aswell as getting your degree you will also, if you pass your certificate exams will be accredited by the NTCJ, which is the best in journalism.

First year, which is what I am in, you have to learn shorthand! It is very hard, and to pass with the NTCJ you have to write 100 words per min, to pass the module for first year it is 60 words. Once you pass shorthand you do not have to do in the next 2 years.

You also have to learn Law, which even Law students are warned not to pick media Law as it is immensly precise and picky.

The course is hard, enjoyable at the same time, I hear people say first year doesn't matter, but it really does with Journalism!!!

Hope that helps!!!
x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by swiftyhorn
Word of warning DMU is terrible im currently on computer science, i know some on hnd comuting, year zero computing, computer games programming and a few from criminology, psychology and sociology.. the view is pretty much the same - it is horrendous, the teaching is so terrible i dno how to explain it. the lecturers dont turn up, when they do they are unprepared and the rooms are not adequate for what they teach you, such as no computers or working internet in a computer lecture. Some rooms are small and you sit there squashed in with 200 people, other rooms dont have working speakers so most people will just here a mutter from anywhere over half way (as in anyone at back wont hear). There are alot of lecturers who cannot speak english and u will find these will be your main source of info for coursework or exam prep labs. They seem to take forever in marking coursework and exams - im still waiting for one of mine from week 8, its now week 20, other people have still not got the one from week 5. The lecturers are extremely arrogant and any students who are failing get personally blamed for it, i have seen many people on anti depressants due to the level of neglect and miss treatment when they ask for help or do not do well in a module due to lack of teaching. You will see classes of 200 people drop to less than 80 within a matter of a couple of months and it will not pick back up, by second year it will drop further (i have been on psychology and criminology course where i took ill near last exams and im now on computer science and its no different). People talk in lecturers alot since they do not have a clue whats going on and give up, people just walk out half way too. First year you will get told it doesnt matter if you understand the content only to find out later on you did need to understand it and are now stuck at a crucial point. The student services will pass you on forever and any special learning needs you have will take forever to get diagnosed or get equipment for, my partner has only just been assessed in week 19, ofc she has already failed 2 bits of coursework and although telling them she had reading problems they said so what bring us proof.. sadly she has now failed. I watched most of my mates go from enthusiastic students to alcoholics, druggies and living on tablets to keep them sane, some also developed eating disorders to try and cope (i came from leicester and went college here so i know alot of them - easily over 100 people i know personally others i have met along the way).

If you have other choices i would seriously recomend you put them first, this is not a whinge but i am now stuck here since i used my false start when i took ill and came back, i have no way of leaving or switching Uni's as the content here if rubbish and no other Uni will accept it and put me onto a second year in there course.

Please do not make the mistakes me and my mates have made and try and get out while you can.
I hope you have backup choices and i hope to god you take them or you will struggle immensly psychologically and mentally, you will struggle and no1 will help you, you will find ways to cope and it will only go downwards, eventually you will want to leave and you cannot. All your friends (or most of them) will see its not gona change and leave or switch early on.

My experience with the teaching with my course has been exceptional, my course leader cares greatly, he always asks where I am if I miss one class, he always there if I need to talk to him, and has a great career so is compeltly made for the role!
All of my lecturers turn up on time, even at 9am on a Monday morning!!!

People slate DMU, but it holds on of the best courses for Journalism in the country!!!
Got an offer for Journalism single honours :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EvianFromYourHands
Got an offer for Journalism single honours :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Awesome :smile: hopefully will see you there.
May sound stupid but how do I apply for accommodation
Reply 355
Original post by King James

"Unconditional Firm offer holders will receive their email from the 5th of March 2012 and those holding a Conditional Firm offer will receive their instructions from the 15th May 2012."

we book online aha will get the details via post or email :biggrin:
Reply 356
Original post by Afua93
"Unconditional Firm offer holders will receive their email from the 5th of March 2012 and those holding a Conditional Firm offer will receive their instructions from the 15th May 2012."

we book online aha will get the details via post or email :biggrin:

Thanks for confirming the date :smile:
Only just found this thread, I received an offer in November for Medical Science :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by King James

They should send you an e-mail/text with a link and you go from there!!!
Reply 359
Original post by McKenzie-
Really considering putting De Montfort as my firm. But the grades are reasonably achievable at BCC so I may push myself and put it as my insurance and list Brighton at BBB as my firm.

Does anyone know what Leicester itself is like? Is the nightlife good?

It's alright man, bare fit gyals :wink: and can go to a decent place everyother night, but I miss out cause I do Law :/.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending