The Student Room Group

5 Muslim countries have had a woman president, but the USA still hasn't, why is US...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Muslims are anti women. they hold back women's rights and rape and abuse women. A lot of women aren't even allowed to walk by themselves or drive a car. Education is not encouraged.

Islam is such a backwards religion.
Reply 41
Original post by x_muneeb_x
Benazir Bhutto and Sheikh Hasina were both daughters of the most popular politicians so it was quite easy for them really.

Any ways muslim countries are not considered anti-women for this reason. A women in the US can wear whatever she wants , whenever she wants and **** who ever she wants. Now imagine a drunk girl in a mini skirt walking the streets of a muslim country . Chances are she's going to jail isn't she ?

You abuse the culture, belief and traditions of the majority of the country and you will be punished, no matter if you're male, female, white, brown, black, red, jewish, christian, muslim.
Reply 42
Now imagine a drunk girl in a mini skirt walking the streets of a muslim country . Chances are she's going to jail isn't she ?

Chances are that a man would too.
Original post by ResearchCalTch
Btw,

Stop stoning women.
Stop lashing women.
Stop killing rape victims.
Stop forcing women to wear the chador.
Stop forcing young girls to marry 50 year old men.
Stop mutilating their genitals.
Stop banning women from doing NORMAL HUMAN BEHAVIOUR like driving and leaving the house without a male relative.
Stop putting women in the "care" of abusive fathers, brothers and husbands.

That's just the cultural BS. Don't get us started on the ACTUAL religion. Anyhow stop doing all that **** and maybe then we'll stop dissing you for mistreating women. :rolleyes:

Stop stoning women.-never happens
Stop lashing women.- never happens
Stop killing rape victims.- rapist would be killed by her family
Stop forcing women to wear the chador.- i dont know what this is but noone wore a burkha just a dress and saari
Stop forcing young girls to marry 50 year old men.- doesnt happen ( i have read of a case in tribal afghanistan
Stop mutilating their genitals. - I beleive this is a cultural thing in Egypt
Stop banning women from doing NORMAL HUMAN BEHAVIOUR like driving and leaving the house without a male relative. - lol, this only happens in Saudi
Stop putting women in the "care" of abusive fathers, brothers and husbands - personally I believe this is a bit of a problem

btw these experiences are from a village in pakistan (punjab)
they came pretty close in 2008 when hiliary clinton was running, if it weren't for obama-mania i'm sure she would've got the democrat's nomination and gone on to win the election against the republicans
Reply 45
Benazir Bhutto and Sheikh Hasina were both daughters of the most popular politicians so it was quite easy for them really.

Any ways muslim countries are not considered anti-women for this reason. A women in the US can wear whatever she wants , whenever she wants and **** who ever she wants. Now imagine a drunk girl in a mini skirt walking the streets of a muslim country . Chances are she's going to jail isn't she ?

There will have been plenty of people who disliked the fathers of Bhutto And Sheikh Hasina. And if it was so easy for Benazir Bhutto to become Prime Minister, why did she not become Prime Minister until 12 years after her fathers execution? Yes, you can use the excuse of General Zia-Ul-Haq's oppressive regime, but the hurt of losing such a charismatic prime minister (Zulfikar Ali Bhutto) was still in the hearts of a lot of the Pakistani's who supported him. They could have gotten her into power a lot earlier if they had wanted to. When she did win the elections, she did so on her own merits, not because of her father. That's like saying the only reason George Bush was elected was because of his father, which is complete bs.

And why should the norm in Eastern countries be the same as the West?
Original post by IamBeowulf
Stop stoning women.-never happens
Stop lashing women.- never happens
Stop killing rape victims.- rapist would be killed by her family
Stop forcing women to wear the chador.- i dont know what this is but noone wore a burkha just a dress and saari
Stop forcing young girls to marry 50 year old men.- doesnt happen ( i have read of a case in tribal afghanistan
Stop mutilating their genitals. - I beleive this is a cultural thing in Egypt
Stop banning women from doing NORMAL HUMAN BEHAVIOUR like driving and leaving the house without a male relative. - lol, this only happens in Saudi
Stop putting women in the "care" of abusive fathers, brothers and husbands - personally I believe this is a bit of a problem

btw these experiences are from a village in pakistan (punjab)

Are you ****ing kidding me? Never happens? So people just accuse Islam for the fun of it? :facepalm:

Maybe your village is peaceful and Islamic but I can name ten such events for every charge I've made. TEN.
Original post by sarah124
..so anti-woman?

The five Muslim majority countries that had female presidents are:

Indonesia, the most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Megawati Sukarnoputri as president.

Pakistan, the second most populous Muslim-majority country, twice (non-consecutively) elected Benazir Bhutto as prime minister.

Bangladesh, the third most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Khaleda Zia and Sheikh Hasina as prime ministers.

Turkey, the fifth most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Tansu Çiller as prime minister.

In the Muslim majority region of Kosovo, President Atifete Jahjaga was unanimously elected by the Assembly of Kosovo on April 7, 2011

Furthermore, nearly one-third of the Parliament of Egypt- the fifth most populous Muslim majority nation- also consists of women

And not only that, women still hold leadership positions in the Muslim world. They can range from companies, corporations, government, town management, village leaders, etc.

I think its pretty hypocrtical for some Americans to simply diss our religion and people for "oppressing" women, considering that they never actually had a woman leader and discrimination against women is well hidden in US politics.

BTW, if a woman gets elected as president in America that's great. But NOT for the reason of her being a woman but for her achievements and competence.But I'm just pointing it out....

But in Saudi arabia it's illegal for women drive cars, I dont see that in america
Reply 48
Original post by Sharri5
Muslims are anti women. they hold back women's rights and rape and abuse women. A lot of women aren't even allowed to walk by themselves or drive a car. Education is not encouraged.

Islam is such a backwards religion.

lol my mum was raised and bought up in the north of Pakistan and I can say that none of that rubbish happened to her. She used to ride a bike to work and she has a degree. She definitely wasn't tortured, and neither was she forced to take a headscarf. She was respected by everyone she worked with, and in her local community too. My dad has tried to get my mum to learn how to drive, but because of an accident she had whilst she was learning, she was put off the idea completely.

Stop making stupid sweeping statements.
Reply 49
Because there hasn't been any good candidates?
Last time I checked, people voted for the person with the best policies, not the person who would tick another historical box?
America has plenty of women who are successful in other areas.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
If Hermes Birkin handbags, Chanel glasses, Gucci shoes count for representing the common woman in Pakistan, then you need to have a reality check.
Original post by Aj12
What's your point? No good women candidates have run, it is a democracy after all.

Perhaps there's an issue with America that good female candidates cannot get a nomination? Either that or you are suggesting that there are no American women who would make good candidates....
Haha this is golden, just watch all the anti-muslim people squirm :biggrin: As someone pointed out, if America finally got it's first women president and the muslim countries never had one, suddenly it would become another point against Islam and how misogynist it apparently is, but when the tables are turned all you guys can say is that there haven't been any good female candidates EVER? Sounds pretty misogynist to me.
People seem to be unable to read. The OP is not saying that America is sexist, it is saying that it's hypocritical for America to be accusing countries where women have a far greater role in Government than them of being sexist.

I don't fully agree with that statement (as has been pointed out, many people in those countries (by no means all) are sexist but in other forms), but if you're going to moan about it, at least actually read what you're moaning about!
Original post by i am god ovbz
But in Saudi arabia it's illegal for women drive cars, I dont see that in america

Saudi Arabia is also a brutal dictatorship - I don't think anyone has been holding them up as an example of how the US should be...
So what have we learnt? That being a women in an Islamic country is great if you're a part of the political elite. It's crap for everyone else. Excellent!
Reply 56
Original post by Captain Crash
Perhaps there's an issue with America that good female candidates cannot get a nomination? Either that or you are suggesting that there are no American women who would make good candidates....

Well clearly no good female candidates do run. Provided there is nothing institutionally holding them back, which clearly there is not or Clinton would not have been able to run so well, then this is not an issue
Reply 57
Original post by TheDubs
Clearly the superpower, richest country in the world, biggest economy of all time has been doing things wrong

Ahh man I love what you just said, it deserves more than just a post on tsr.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Med_Geek
lol my mum was raised and bought up in the north of Pakistan and I can say that none of that rubbish happened to her. She used to ride a bike to work and she has a degree. She definitely wasn't tortured, and neither was she forced to take a headscarf. She was respected by everyone she worked with, and in her local community too. My dad has tried to get my mum to learn how to drive, but because of an accident she had whilst she was learning, she was put off the idea completely.

Stop making stupid sweeping statements.

Stop attacking people. What I said was the truth. If you have a problem with that, take it up with muslims.

Your opinion has no value to me. Just thought I'd let you know :colonhash:
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Apparently, a lot more than the US.
The US congress- 13% are women
Pakistani Parliament- nearly 25% are women

How do they manage to get seats? Aren't elections are regular thing when Pakistan is under a democracy?

She was elected nonetheless. Doesn't matter if her father was elected 2/3 decades before she was. She still got elected.

The Iraqi parliament is also 25% female. In fact, it's a constitutionally-mandated quota.

The cabinet, on the other hand, is a different story.

But credit to Pakistan for accepting a female leader, even if she was corrupt. The Islamofascists would never allow that were it down to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending