The Student Room Group

2012 Consulting Interviews / Rejections / Offers

Scroll to see replies

Got an invite to 75min McK assessment center. Any ideas how to prepare best (I've done the Kosher test already)??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 381
rejected from skp after tests. 2013 entry it is then
Reply 382
I had a SKP telephone interview last week, anybody know how long they take to get back to you?
Reply 383
Original post by miiiiil

Original post by miiiiil
I had a SKP telephone interview last week, anybody know how long they take to get back to you?

Had the interview from SKP this morning, the interviewer said they will get back to me by the end of this week.

Good luck!
Reply 384
Original post by yoyoyomo
rejected from skp after tests. 2013 entry it is then

Unlucky. What are your plans now - just reapply in 2013 or go down another path?
has anyone who had OW final round on the 27th received any feedback yet? How long do they normally take?
Reply 386
Original post by GunnerMT
Unlucky. What are your plans now - just reapply in 2013 or go down another path?

yeah looks like it. going to send off deloitte and ey applications in july hopefully, and a few others as well. dont know what to do over the summer now though. too late for internships..

i know deloitte recruit all year round but do they just have the one start date in september 2013?
Reply 387
Original post by downle
Had the interview from SKP this morning, the interviewer said they will get back to me by the end of this week.

Good luck!

Ah cool, perhaps they will decide once everyone has had their phone interviews. The thing I'm wondering about though is that i got an email reminding me of my phone interview... which was last week lol. Obviously sent in error, but Im wondering if a different email was meant to have been sent. I emailed them about it but no reply...

ALSO has anyone had a first interview with Mars? I had one on friday and was wondering how long they normally take to get back?
Hi miiiiil and downle. My friend applied for a senior role at SKP and she's going to have an interview within two weeks time. What kind of questions can she expect? Can you tell me more about the interview? Cheers!
Reply 389
BOOM rejection from SKP.

@goldsilvy - i assume her interview will not be like an entry level interview, but i was just asked general why consulting bla bla, and a talk about a case study i mentioned in my covering letter. This was all explained in the invite email to the phone interview, nothing else was discussed.
Original post by miiiiil
BOOM rejection from SKP.

@goldsilvy - i assume her interview will not be like an entry level interview, but i was just asked general why consulting bla bla, and a talk about a case study i mentioned in my covering letter. This was all explained in the invite email to the phone interview, nothing else was discussed.

Thanks lot! Much appreciated.
Reply 391
Just out of interest did any1 hear back from the OW internship final rounds, either way?
Original post by ebam_uk
Just out of interest did any1 hear back from the OW internship final rounds, either way?

I think if they want you, they get back to you straight away because my friend got an offer the day after but they strung me along and three days later... *ding*

Good luck! Hope it goes well
Reply 393
Original post by Flippyfish
I think if they want you, they get back to you straight away because my friend got an offer the day after but they strung me along and three days later... *ding*

Good luck! Hope it goes well

This has turned out to be exactly the case :redface:
Reply 394
Has anyone heard from BCG for SI?
Reply 395
Anyone know whats going on with Citi / Deutschebank?
I'm stressing out now:
I'm a 1st year, applied to a few spring weeks and SA positions at BBs, all rejections. Managed to apply to McK, Deloitte and BCG summer internships, have heard back from McK only, surprisingly, as mentioned above, an invite to PST. I will of course do my best to land an offer at McK, but let's face it, the odds are against me. I'm highly skeptical about BCG as well. The only chance I hold might be at Deloitte, but after all IB rejections, even that seems to be a reach for me. I do realize it was supersilly to procrastinate with looking for summer internships until January, but I didn't really expect it to be this tough. Next year I'm gonna be more prepared, yet I still don't want to give up this year and spend my summer doing something useful instead of washing dishes at a local cafe.
I'm a nat science major not knowing a local language, so I don't really think the small firms will find me useful. Throughout March I'm attending several networking events, but I'm afraid it might be too late to get a summer internship at larger firms this year. Maybe there are still some large firms recruiting?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 397
Original post by miiiiil
So I have a simon kucher phone interview this week. Has anybody got any insight into what they could ask? Do they often give u little brainteasers or cases?

Also I have an interview with mars consulting, no idea what it will entail. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers :biggrin:

Hey, hope your SKP interview went well. Would you be able to share any insights on the phone interview? what type of case were you given etc.?
Thanks!
Reply 398
Bain: Offer :biggrin:
OC&C: Offer
BCG: Final round in a few weeks
Booz: Final round next week
McK: 1st round next week

Not applying anywhere else since I have good offers already. This is for a non-UK Europe office though, so I'm not sure how helpful my experiences will be for all of you... So far, the only things I have done were case interviews, usually three in the first round, three in the second. They all followed the same format - first about 20 min were spent talking about my experiences and CV, then another 30 min casestudy and finally some room for questions. The cases went mostly like this:

1). Introduction of the case, structuring (I don't use frameworks, can't be bothered to learn them by heart, I just write down an issue tree that seems logical and conclusive to me)
2). Some market sizing or other simple calculation to work out a part of the issue tree + draw conclusion from the calculation
3). Testing business sense/creativity (usually a question like... what risks do you see, what potential upsides are there, the market sizing turned out to be way off - what could be a cause)
4). Closing the case using an elevator pitch or something like it

My advice would be
- Ask questions. Loads and loads of questions. If you don't understand something - ask. It's better to ask then to assume something that turns out to be wrong. I suspect that sometimes they don't give you crucial information just to check if you will ask for it. (I'm a science grad so I didn't know most of the terminology, I had to ask to solve the case)
- Make assumptions and say out loud that you are making them. And also check if it's okay to make this assumption.
- Draw conclusions all the time. If you think something, calculate something, get some piece of information, always ask yourself "So what?" (I usually said this out loud, to let the interviewer know that I was trying to draw a conclusion).
- It's okay to be honest. It's okay to say you don't know the answer to a question if you don't know - it's better to say you don't know than to start babbling. In my view it's also okay to be honest about your weaknesses, your motiviation, etc... I have no specific preference for any of the different companies and I told them so, and also why. They seemed to really appreciate my honesty. Same with strenghts and weaknesses - it's okay to be bad at some things. The point is to show them that you know you're bad at them, and willing to work on it.

As far as preparation goes, I didn't read any books (I started to, but the whole framework thing got me extremely nervous so I quit) but I did practice back of the envelope math and I did a lot of mock interviews with people in the industry. If you have the opportunity, mock interviews (especially with consultants) are the best practice I think... I didn't practice myself with other candidates, but I helped other candidates with their interviews and I found this very helpful as well. Playing the role of the interviewer gave me a lot of insight in how important communication is in the case interview, perhaps even more so than getting the right solution.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest