The Student Room Group

I need some serious maths help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mickno
But how does 9 times 3 got anything to do with changing the denominator from 2 to 6

because 2x3 = 6
Do you know what the missing numbers are here

92=?20=18?\frac{9}{2} = \frac{?}{20} = \frac{18}{?}
Reply 22
Original post by Tudball
Numerator is on the top; denominator is on the bottom.
If you have 9/2, and multiply the denominator by 3, then you will get 6 (2 * 3 = 6). But you must also multiply the numerator by 3.

*** NOTE: Anything you do to the bottom, you must to do the top.

So, 9 * 3 = 27. The fraction you will get is 27/6. Which is equivalent to 9/2.

Just think about it like this. You have a pizza with 4 slices in total. Half of that pizza is 2 slices, correct? (Or 2/4)

Now you have a pizza with 6 slices. Half of that pizza is 3 slices, correct? (Or 3/6).

So, 2/4 and 3/6 are equivalent, and both equal 1/2.

Hopefully with that cleared, we can focus on addition.

Let's say you have 1/2 + 2/3 + 1/6. All of these have different denominators. In order for them to be added together, you must make the denominators the same, through multiplication.

Obviously, you can see that 6 is the least common denominator, since, 2 * 3 = 6 and 3 * 2 = 6.

Therefore, you must do this:

(1/2) * (3/3) + (2/3) * (2/2) + 1/6. You are multiplying it by (3/3) and (2/2) since what you do to the bottom, you must do to the top. And because (3/3) and (2/2) are equivalent to 1.

So, now you have 3/6 + 4/6 + 1/6.

Add the numerators together (keeping the denominator the same), and you end up with 8/6. Using equivalent fractions, we can reduce this to 4/3.

As for your question, you're basically dealing with fraction multiplication. 9 * (3/4) is basically (9/1) * (3/4). When multiplying fractions, you multiply the numerators and the denominators. So, 9 * 3 = 27, and 1 * 4 = 4. So, your fraction is 27/4. Understand?

Also, I understand that you're frustrated, but these people are here helping voluntarily, so you could attempt to be a bit less abrasive.

I'm sorry for being aggresive I am just REALLY stressed out right now and am just not getting any of this
Reply 23
Original post by TenOfThem
because 2x3 = 6

Yeah but what has 9 got to do with it?
Reply 24
Original post by mickno
I'm sorry for being aggresive I am just REALLY stressed out right now and am just not getting any of this

Did you not understand anything that I wrote?
Reply 25
Okay, start simple. Basically, what you're struggling with is the concept that whatever you do to the bottom, you have to do to the top. Otherwise, you're making a different fraction - by following this rule, the fraction still equals the same thing.

Take 1/2
If you multiply the bottom by 2, then you get 1/4. This isn't the same as a half (obviously) BUT if you do the same to the top, and multiply by 2, then you get 2/4 which is the same as a half.

All you are trying to do in this question is change the fractions into a form that you can use.

The numbers don't have a relationship with 6. You are just applying the rule that WHATEVER YOU DO TO THE BOTTOM, YOU HAVE TO DO TO THE TOP
Reply 26
Original post by mickno
Yeah but what has 9 got to do with it?

You have 9/2

What do you multiply the top and bottom by to get a faction with 6 on the bottom?

Spoiler

Reply 27
I've cracked it, it should have been explained like this all along

9/2 * 3 BECAUSE 2 *3 = 6, not because 9 equal 6 but because THE BOTTOM does, the top doesn't need to have relation to six, again 7/3, 3 times 2 equals six

Finally
Original post by mickno

9/2 * 3 BECAUSE 2 *3 = 6, not because 9 equal 6 but because THE BOTTOM does, the top doesn't need to have relation to six, again 7/3, 3 times 2 equals six

Finally

I think the word you are looking for is "thanks"
... adds new name to ungrateful book ...
Reply 30
Original post by mickno

Finally

:facepalm2:

That's what everyone has been saying, but at least you got it...
Reply 31
Original post by mickno

Finally

How rude.
Reply 32
Oh also why does 64/6 equal 10 2/3?
Reply 33
Original post by mickno
Oh also why does 64/6 equal 10 2/3?

Hahahaha... no. :mad:
Reply 34
I'm sorry guys but I have been really frustrated and thanks for trying to help me even though I was aggressive
Reply 35
Oh its ok anyway I've worked that one out to, I can think more clearly when I'm not angry
Reply 36
Whatever you do to the top, you must do to the bottom. (and vice versa)

/thread
Reply 37
Original post by mickno

Finally

People were trying to explain that to you all along for ****s sake. Ungrateful much?

Quick Reply

Latest