The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering is not for girls. REALLY? -___- *goes hysterical*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i know a LOT of boys doing mecheng and from what i've heard it's a sausage fest, but there are some girls on the course, and tbh if you feel that it's the degree which best suits you i wouldn't let something as petty as that stop you :smile:
Original post by Jakeh
No. Lol the guys i know love going out, are a great laugh and a gym heads. Dont know where you go or what nerd area you live in but you can do engineer/math and be an extremely attractive and social person. zzz

Oh, I am, but the majority of those doing Elec Eng were not like that and were nerds/socially inept. They would go out to the pub, but talk to a girl? Ha, not a chance.

Original post by buchanan700
Just butting in here. I'm doing Primary Ed with QTS, which is seen as a very "girly" subject, but I have 4 guys in my group (about average between 5 groups). They're just normal guys honestly. Honestly they're kind of meat heads.

OP: Don't listen to stereotypes. They should hold you back :smile:

Fair enough, but what you said to OP is wrong. Stereotypes are always based on some truth, and when it comes to engineering, it is right - just look at the statistic and look at why girls get paid to do those subjects.

Original post by 4 I Murder Carrots Fun
History & English Joint Honours. Not that it's relevant.

According to an OECD study in 2004, 23% of mechanical engineering graduates in the UK are female. Women can do engineering and computer science if they want, and more should. It's awful that female students are being pushed into applying for certain subjects because they are seen as more 'feminine' and likewise that men are put off careers like nursing for fear of being perceieved as not being 'masculine'. Saying that this is because 'men and women are different' simply picks up on the Victorian bull**** argument that men are made for business, breadwinning and independence and women are delicate creatures whose brains might 'overheat' if exerted and their charms are best expended on ordering the house, looking pretty and rearing the children. Medicine was once considered utterly "not for girls", but today over half of doctors in this country are female.

:facepalm:
Or, brace yourself, men and women are different. We do have different brains after all.
The gap in these subjects have happened naturally as some new subjects only came about after women had total free rights, ergo no excuse not to do it. Take comp science as an example. I know a few guys who are into programming and have it as a hobby, yet no girls who have any interest in it. It will most likely have to do with men being more logical.
So instead of waving your feminist banner, go read some studies and something of substance before making a comment.

Oh, and OP: A friend who did mech Eng at Newcastle a few years back was the only girl in the year.
Reply 42
Original post by Jimbo1234
Over 95% of engineering students are guys.
Also, mechanical is now very limited in job prospects as more fields are going towards electronics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So what degree choice are you doing/going to do along with your friends? :rolleyes: Sorry, but men and women are different and have different academic choices. How many guys do nursing and psychology , and how many girls do engineering and comp science?

You buy stuff because of the electronics in it... But it's still a physical object that has to work in the physical world so there's mech involved in making sure ferinstance that your ipod doesn't get vibrated to pieces and your phone doesn't bust if you sit on it or the heat from your laptop cpu doesn't hang around inside the box making trouble. It's not the case that one thing is replacing the other, more of a seamless coming togethers really.
Nanotech is made of mech and any sort of manufactured product has mech involved in working out how to assemble it efficiently.
One of my old electronic engineering lecturers said we should bow down to mechs... Though of course none of us ever actually would. :tongue:
Original post by Joinedup
You buy stuff because of the electronics in it... But it's still a physical object that has to work in the physical world so there's mech involved in making sure ferinstance that your ipod doesn't get vibrated to pieces and your phone doesn't bust if you sit on it or the heat from your laptop cpu doesn't hang around inside the box making trouble. It's not the case that one thing is replacing the other, more of a seamless coming togethers really.
Nanotech is made of mech and any sort of manufactured product has mech involved in working out how to assemble it efficiently.
One of my old electronic engineering lecturers said we should bow down to mechs... Though of course none of us ever actually would. :tongue:

Any engineer can work out the resonant frequency of an ipod, and it is not exactly vital because you are not designing for hard usage. Also, that could be a materials engineers to to find suitable material. However, the vast majority of an ipod is down to elec engineers and some chemists.
Thermal distribution can be done by numerous engineers or physicists and is normally tackled at early stages in production of the components.
Nanotech has nothing to do with mechanics as it is all quantum mechanics. It is 99% theoretical physics. I don't know why you would think otherwise :s-smilie:
As for mass production, that is a mixture of elec and mechanical, both with huge mounds of control theory.

But essentially, as mechanical parts are being phased out for more electronics, and with the growth of more specific engineering disciplines, mechanical engineers are fading out.
Reply 44
Fair enough, but what you said to OP is wrong. Stereotypes are always based on some truth, and when it comes to engineering, it is right - just look at the statistic and look at why girls get paid to do those subjects.

So you're trying to say that because she's a girl she shouldn't go for it? Just because a stereotype says not to? Sorry, but I don't see why stereotypes should hold people back. When I was thinking about applying a few years ago it was something that crossed my mind, would people not take me seriously cause I'm a girl or whatever. But really, screw what other people think and go for it OP. There's no way that gender is gonna determine whether you'll be a good engineer or not. If you've got the mind for it, and work hard at it then you can do whatever you want without giving a crap about stupid stereotypes, cause they're bull****.

And this goes for guys wanting to do nursing/artsy stuff too. I'm not just saying this cause I'm a girl or whatever.
Please do Mechanical Engineering! It is true that your course will be male dominated but this only works in your favour for admissions and some unis will even pay you to do it

The only thing that should dictate whether you do a subject is whether you enjoy it, i.e. physics and maths.

PS. Come to Imperial College!
Do what you want. Who cares? I sure don't.
Reply 47
Original post by s.asg
So I've been having a hard time deciding a university course. I've always been good at Math. And I wanted to something in Actuarial sciences or have a Math degree from a university like Imperial. But most of the good universities require Further Math whereas my A level subjects are: Physics. Chemistry. Math. Biology.

I finally decided to go for Mechanical Engineering because, well, it's the broadest of all the engineering disciplines (and it's less annoying than electronics) BUT. I'm hearing quite a lot of people saying Mechanical Engineering is not for girls. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT.

(I really need to get done with my personal statement by the end of November and ALL I can do is worry about what course should I opt for. My friends are getting offers from places like UCL and Warwick. WhatamIdoingWhatamIdoing) D:

Who cares what other people say? If you don't do well dealing with guys on a day-to-day basis then it's probably not for you, but otherwise go for it.
Original post by Ronda
So you're trying to say that because she's a girl she shouldn't go for it? Just because a stereotype says not to? Sorry, but I don't see why stereotypes should hold people back. When I was thinking about applying a few years ago it was something that crossed my mind, would people not take me seriously cause I'm a girl or whatever. But really, screw what other people think and go for it OP. There's no way that gender is gonna determine whether you'll be a good engineer or not. If you've got the mind for it, and work hard at it then you can do whatever you want without giving a crap about stupid stereotypes, cause they're bull****.

And this goes for guys wanting to do nursing/artsy stuff too. I'm not just saying this cause I'm a girl or whatever.

What?
Stop reading into things :facepalm2:
I'm saying she should be aware of the high chance of being the only girl. If she is fine with that, then go for it.
Oh, and as for female engineers, one of my professors did always say that they were useless as they only memorised the subject rather then learn and understand it, but hey, what does a 70 year old veteran of the field know?
What?
I'm saying she should be aware of the high chance of being the only girl. If she is fine with that, then go for it.
Oh, and as for female engineers, one of my professors did always say that they were useless as they only memorised the subject rather then learn and understand it, but hey, what does a 70 year old veteran of the field know?

That is exactly the type of sexist dogma which should not be listened to by anyone considering being an engineer or in any aspect of life. I hope you don't consider your "70 year old veteran" professor's view on this as respectable.
Original post by graham11238
That is exactly the type of sexist dogma which should not be listened to by anyone considering being an engineer or in any aspect of life. I hope you don't consider your "70 year old veteran" professor's view on this as respectable.

Well seeing that he has more experience in the field then you have been alive for, who are you to say he is wrong? Saying someone is wrong because you don't like their life experience is complete denial.
Reply 51
What?

I would imagine that his opinion is somewhat dated, especially if he's been an academic rather than in industry in recent history... Either way that's a massive generalisation.
Well seeing that he has more experience in the field then you have been alive for, who are you to say he is wrong? Saying someone is wrong because you don't like their life experience is complete denial.

I have no doubt that his engineering experience far surpasses mine and that leaves him in a more informed position when it comes to engineering problems.

What he said about female engineers is pure sexism and is the type of archaic thinking which is tolerated in academic institutions but gets you nowhere in real life. By all means he can carry on working under those assumptions whilst the rest of us move forward and assess people on an individual basis.

Please feel free to do the same as your professor but it is far more enjoyable and not to mention successful to work in a diverse multi faceted group of engineers.
i'm studying mech eng and there is two girls in the entire course but they're in different class groups so they only see each other in lectures and the one in my class group always moans (to us) that we are "acting like boys" i have no problem with her and she's good at the actual work but all she does is complain that we're too immature because we all have a laugh (Which for the record you must have if you don't want to kill everyone by the end of the week) this has led to her being not ostracised but viewed as sort of stuck up. She is still included in everything and there is no animosity but the general opinion is that when she signed up for the course she knew that it was predominately male and she knew what guys laugh about so she shouldn't moan about them acting the way that they act.

In short if you want to study this course then either join in with the guys or at least don't moan about them acting like guys or risk not being particularly well liked because a uni course isn't just about career opportunities it's about friends and a bit of fun

Edit just remembered something you will constantly here guys talking about hot girls and you may hear them passing comment on girls in corridors or in the street- anywhere really so if you're not okay with that or if you think that such comments may make you feel quite insecure then also might be an idea to avoid it.

I realise that I may be sounding quite biased but I want to give you a fair impression of the course so that you know what to expect if you go for it which -if it's what you want to do- I fully support. However you must know that every guy in the class will have a "swatch" at you cleavage and your arse and there may be at some point a discussion about them because that's what we're like no matter how much we know that we shouldn't be
(edited 12 years ago)
What?

I can't imagine that he has come across many female engineers. My grandfather is a 69 year old engineer and he has never discouraged me from doing it. I certainly don't just memorise the subject . The labs are the best bit of the course.
I don't get to talk to many girls during the day but the boys treat me as an equal. Most of them are great fun and not prejudiced.
Original post by Ronda
I'm a girl doing Mechanical Engineering. Breaking the boundaries and that...

You broke anything else in the labs yet?
Original post by graham11238
I have no doubt that his engineering experience far surpasses mine and that leaves him in a more informed position when it comes to engineering problems.

What he said about female engineers is pure sexism and is the type of archaic thinking which is tolerated in academic institutions but gets you nowhere in real life. By all means he can carry on working under those assumptions whilst the rest of us move forward and assess people on an individual basis.

Please feel free to do the same as your professor but it is far more enjoyable and not to mention successful to work in a diverse multi faceted group of engineers.

Wrong.
What he said was his experience. If his experience shows that women are worse, then they are. It would be sexist if he had no grounds on what to base his view on.

Original post by Got the tshirt
I can't imagine that he has come across many female engineers. My grandfather is a 69 year old engineer and he has never discouraged me from doing it. I certainly don't just memorise the subject . The labs are the best bit of the course.
I don't get to talk to many girls during the day but the boys treat me as an equal. Most of them are great fun and not prejudiced.

He didn't come across many as few women study that field, and those who had were bad. What he said is not prejudice as it was based on experience making it a fact.

Original post by Lib
I would imagine that his opinion is somewhat dated, especially if he's been an academic rather than in industry in recent history... Either way that's a massive generalisation.

Actually, he is still active in industry, and you have no idea if it is a generalisation or not as he worked in very different place to you.
Reply 57
You'll generally have come through physics A level which implies surviving a male majority of even greater immaturity.

Some real life females actually like male majority working environments.
Reply 58
Actually, he is still active in industry, and you have no idea if it is a generalisation or not as he worked in very different place to you.

Actually, you have no idea where I've worked. And unless he's worked with every single female engineer out there, then it's a generalisation. Especially as there are so many different engineering disciplines.

It's perfectly correct to say that in his experience all the female engineers that he has worked with lack understanding, but it doesn't make it fact that it applies to all female engineers everywhere. It's certainly not the case at my current employer.
Reply 59
Original post by Joinedup
You'll generally have come through physics A level which implies surviving a male majority of even greater immaturity.

Some real life females actually like male majority working environments.

Yup, we do. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest