The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by siwelmail
Any comments on brunel?

standard mid-table uni, on the rise though, 39th this year in the times... not an ex polly, so doesnt quite have the stigma.. reasonable for eng/buisness courses, but not so good for arts/humanities...

(also no where near the bottom of the london pile)
Reply 41
Original post by ComputerTune
Question up top ^

:frown: I just want a few opinions so I can see if peoples opinions match.

Thanks. I obviously know the worst two is London Met then followed closely by London South Bank University.

LOL. He uses the word:"Obviously" when he refers to London Met as two unis. :rofl:

You ought to think of your **** English before you slag off any uni. Learn to do research too........... There is a search bar on TSR.... USE IT FFS!!

Original post by Liam 09
It wasn't exactly terrible grammar now was is? :rolleyes:

I hope is was intentional and you are trolling. :facepalm:

Original post by I<3LAMP
From the worst to the least bad:

London Metropolitan University
University of Greenwich
London South Bank University
University of East London
University of Greenwich

If you study here I'm not saying it is a complete ****ehole but compared to the likes of UCL,LSE,Imperial, Kings, Royal Holloway and even City University the ones above are quite poor.

I wonder why we say that..... :holmes:

I wonder why she puts UCL first is comparison. :rolleyes:

Biased? :tongue:

Original post by strepsils-warm
I've seen adverts from Russell Group universities on TSR, Liverpool and Manchester spring to mind.

So does one by Cambridge. :smartass:
Original post by Agent Smirnoff

I wonder why we say that..... :holmes:

I wonder why she puts UCL first is comparison. :rolleyes:

Biased? :tongue:
/QUOTE]

Meanie :h:
Reply 43
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
I hope is was intentional and you are trolling. :facepalm:

Nope, unfortunate brain freeze resulting in my point being totally missed by all .. :biggrin:
Original post by fallen_acorns
standard mid-table uni, on the rise though, 39th this year in the times... not an ex polly, so doesnt quite have the stigma.. reasonable for eng/buisness courses, but not so good for arts/humanities...

(also no where near the bottom of the london pile)

Good, cheers :P
Original post by AllisonAdorkable

Original post by AllisonAdorkable
UCL, Imperial, LSE, and King's are generally regarded as the bottom of the barrel London universities.

Places like City, Brunel, QMUL, and even Royal Holloway are better, but they are still very much crap.

Can't believe people assume this isn't a sarcastic post. :facepalm:
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
ah sorry, I correlated your rep with the drop in mine and saw that you studied at UCL and assumed it must've been you.

What do you think of the UCL- Imperial rivalry?

depends on the course

imperial is much better in engineering/maths/comp sci but UCL is better for things like the humanities...
I think you're better off judging the specific subject area, rather than the uni as a whole...I'm at the University of Roehampton - very good reputation for teaching, pretty good for dance, but doesn't score particularly well in non-subject specific league tables.
Reply 48
Original post by I<3LAMP
From the worst to the least bad:

London Metropolitan University
University of Greenwich
London South Bank University
University of East London
University of Greenwich

If you study here I'm not saying it is a complete ****ehole but compared to the likes of UCL,LSE,Imperial, Kings, Royal Holloway and even City University the ones above are quite poor.

**** you
Reply 49
Original post by Rainman88
I know someone who went to Cambridge and then to London Metropolitan...

Actually it's not unheard-of. An acquaintance took a BA in a 'soft' subject at Kingston ex-poly, got a 2:1 and was admitted to Oxford to take an MA. And she has plenty of problems with expressing herself with correct grammar in her native English language.
Reply 50
So out of 54 posts only 5 people could be bothered to give me run down :laugh: wow A level students can't read and yet they complain about my grammar?
Original post by SE9
**** you

They aren't that bad but they aren't comparable to the bigger and better funded Unis in London.

Besides the Unis in my previous list are much newer and getting better funding so who knows in a few years time they'll be much higher in the rankings. :smile:

My sister is considering one of those Unis as the facilities are really good for the course she is applying for.
Original post by siwelmail
Good, cheers :P

I'm going to add because I just started here:

****test location for a Uni ever.

It's not even London.
Did my Masters at London South Bank. It was a good programme with good lecturers, up-to-date curriculum, tough assessment, and fantastic facilities.

Last week I signed a work contract for a coveted job where I will earn more in my first year than most of you will ever earn in any year.

Now tell me again that LSB is bottom 5. Stop looking at the league tables. Go to open days, speak to past and present students and faculty, look at the faculty you're interested in, look at the specific programme you're interested in. In my native country, there are no tuition fees, and every university is as good as the next one. Wouldn't you want to live in a country like that? Stupid threads like this one stand in the way of Britain becoming one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Did my Masters at London South Bank. It was a good programme with good lecturers, up-to-date curriculum, tough assessment, and fantastic facilities.
Last week I signed a work contract for a coveted job where I will earn more in my first year than most of you will ever earn in any year. Now tell me
again that LSB is bottom-5. Stop looking at the league tables. Go to open days, speak to past and present students and faculty, look at the faculty
you're interested in, look at the specific programme you're interested in. In my native country, there are no tuition fees, and every university is as
good as the next one. Wouldn't you want to live in a country like that? Stupid threads like this one stand in the way of Britain becoming one.

You go to one of the lowest ranked university in the UK

get over it!

btw when i spoke to people at LSB they said it was a **** whole and wish they went somewhere else. They also said that their degree is extremely easy, but i suppose when their entry requirements for course are BCC you d kinda of expect it?
(edited 12 years ago)
You go to one of the lowest ranked university in the UK

get over it!

I know this. And I am over it. Because I know that it means nothing. And my success proves it.

btw when i spoke to people at LSB they said it was a **** whole...

You don't know the difference between 'whole' and 'hole', and would be laughed at in LSBU. Get over it!

... and wish they went somewhere else. They also said that their degree is extremely easy,...

Apparently you didn't understand my post at all. I can't speak for their courses, nor do I care. My course was excellent, tough, and a perfect fit for what I required. Stop judging universities as a whole (not: hole).
Reply 56
Thames Valley
LSBU
London metropolitan
UEL
Greenwich

All depends on courses but generally rubbish comapred to UCL, LSE etc
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Last week I signed a work contract for a coveted job where I will earn more in my first year than most of you will ever earn in any year. Now tell me
again that LSB is bottom-5. Stop looking at the league tables. Go to open days, speak to past and present students and faculty, look at the faculty
you're interested in, look at the specific programme you're interested in. In my native country, there are no tuition fees, and every university is as
good as the next one. Wouldn't you want to live in a country like that? Stupid threads like this one stand in the way of Britain becoming one.

whats the job and salary then? I know what you mean, about people looking at league tables too much, but the truth is LSB cannot compete with the likes of Imperial, LSE and UCL. The fact you managed to land such a great job is more testament to your abilities rather than the university you went to.

And to answer your last question: No I wouldn't like to live in a country like that. Competition breeds excellence.
Original post by fudgesundae
whats the job and salary then?

Job is in my signature, and I'd rather not disclose the salary publicly. Trust me when I say though that it is very, very attractive
for someone coming off an alleged 'bottom-5' school. If you must know, I can PM you.

...but the truth is LSB cannot compete with the likes of Imperial, LSE and UCL. .

Define 'cannot compete'. Do you mean the education is not as good? Or are graduates just perceived as less competent?
I know a few people who went to Imperial and King's, doing very similar programmes, and I know for a fact that they didn't
learn more/more important/more relevant stuff. Sure, schools like LSBU don't get world-famous guest lecturers on a weekly
basis, but it doesn't mean that it prepare you for the work world any less well.

The fact you managed to land such a great job is more testament to your abilities rather than the university you went to.

The two are hard to separate, as university builds and develops ones abilities. My case sure proves that having a school like
LSBU on your CV does not deter recruiters (which many people believe is the case).

No I wouldn't like to live in a country like that. Competition breeds excellence.

Look at the economic realities then. Do you think Germany would have become the third largest economy in the world and Europe's
economic powerhouse without an excellent education system? Having 50 universities with the same, high standard is definitely
preferable (from an economic and social viewpoint) to having 5 excellent schools, 70 average ones, and 25 poor ones.
Reply 59
I am pretty sure nobody here has been to all London unis and are therefore able to make a decent decision on what's the worst 5...

Latest

Trending

Trending