The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University FAQ and Information Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by profchaos
hello,

I am a student outside UK and i have some questions .
What about fees with international students?
Can i get financial support if i am not a UK citizen?

I need to know the exact fees for the 3 years bachelor program BA (Honours) in business studies
Are there any minimum requirements O.U demands from students like a good grade of high school or other diplomas?

Do I have to wait until 27 of March in order to register and see what lessons I should choose?
Where I can take a look of the lessons so I can decide?
If I register on Mach 27 2012 when I have to take my first exams?

Do I have to take any entry level test in order to proceed with my registration?

Do you have any limitation when you choose your students? If so is there any chance that I can be left out even if I pay my fees for registration?

I would really appreciate it if you give me any advice.

My best wishes for a happy new year,

International fees are discussed on this page and it says "ndergraduate fees for new students resident outside of the UK and starting their studies after 1 September 2012 will be the same as for new students in England: £5,000 for 120 credits, £2,500 (60 credits) and £1,250 (30 credits)." - so the full 360 point degree will be £15,000. There is no financial support available from the OU as far as I know, so unless your employer is able to sponsor you or your country runs any kind of grant system that you may be able to access, you're out of luck unfortunately. If you live in some countries you can get an OUSBA account which allows you to pay in monthly installments but there are only a few countries (look here).

You do not need any qualifications to study with the OU.

Unfortunately the new pages for degrees are very vague, hopefully they'll add some more information soon but until then you can look here to see all of the business modules that the OU do. Not all of these may be choices for your degree path but you can at least have a look around. On some module pages you will see a link to try the materials on Open Learn (underneath the course facts on the right hand side) so you can look at some materials that way.

It does appear that you will need to wait until 27th March before you can register.

As far as I know there is no chance that you would pay your money and not get onto the course.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 21
I cant thank you enough for the information.

Hypothetically if a start with the Diploma in Business studies for 120 credits and i finish it in a year (is it for a year or two?) ,

Is it possible after my Diploma completion to continue with a bachelor in business with honours for 240 remaining credits?

Do i have then to chose an open degree or i go straight for BA (Honours) Business Studies for the remaining 2 years 120/credits each year?

The same question goes if i start with Diploma of higher education or foundation can i transfer my 240 credits to 360 credits total of Bachelor degree?
Unfortunately i have so many questions and the site isnt clear enough.

Thanks again for your support.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by profchaos
I cant thank you enough for the information.

Hypothetically if a start with the Diploma in Business studies for 120 credits and i finish it in a year (is it for a year or two?) ,

Is it possible after my Diploma completion to continue with a bachelor in business with honours for 240 remaining credits?

Do i have then to chose an open degree or i go straight for BA (Honours) Business Studies for the remaining 2 years 120/credits each year?

The same question goes if i start with Diploma of higher education or foundation can i transfer my 240 credits to 360 credits total of Bachelor degree?
Unfortunately i have so many questions and the site isnt clear enough.

Thanks again for your support.

The site should get clearer in time hopefully, it's a bit all over the place at the moment because the registration process is different for current & new students.

The Diploma in Business Studies contains the modules on this page (the 'old' information pages for current students are still available if you change the 'e20' in that URL to the qualification code of whichever qualification you want to look at - Business Studies degree is B70 for example) and 120 points can take you however long you want. It would be 1 year if you studied full time and did all the modules at the same time.

If you did the Diploma first and then chose to 'upgrade' to a BA degree, you'd have to go backwards and do some level 1 modules first, as the Diploma is made up of level 2 and 3 modules. Depending on your current knowledge, starting with level 2 might not be the best idea.

It's probably best to contact the OU themselves with queries about picking up a diploma and a degree, because it's all up in the air a bit right now by the looks of things. Hopefully the 'old' pages I linked you to will help you to see what modules are (were?) involved in each qualification.
Reply 23
Yeah, get the compulsory L1 modules out of the way - B120 is the core L1 module. Sign up as soon as you can though as it's very popular.
Reply 24
HOw are our courses going guys?
Hi guys.

I'm asking for help again. How late, if ever, can you switch from one OU course to another?
I'm about to start a course which I thought was compulsory for my degree but is actually optional and there are so many other different courses I could do in its place that would actually benefit me more. I'm wondering whether I could do a straight-forward transfer or if it's too late.
Does anyone know?
Reply 26
Original post by HalfBloodPrincess
Hi guys.

I'm asking for help again. How late, if ever, can you switch from one OU course to another?
I'm about to start a course which I thought was compulsory for my degree but is actually optional and there are so many other different courses I could do in its place that would actually benefit me more. I'm wondering whether I could do a straight-forward transfer or if it's too late.
Does anyone know?

I think as long as there are places on the other course it's not usually a problem. You have to do a bit of paperwork if you're receiving funding and the courses have different prices though.
Original post by Nitebot
I think as long as there are places on the other course it's not usually a problem. You have to do a bit of paperwork if you're receiving funding and the courses have different prices though.

Ok, thank you.
Reply 28
I'm considering doing a business degree at the Open University. I would actually have preferred to do law but its not available in Northern Ireland. So I'm trying to decide between doing law locally or business through the open uni.
Reply 29
Original post by Daisy2
I'm considering doing a business degree at the Open University. I would actually have preferred to do law but its not available in Northern Ireland. So I'm trying to decide between doing law locally or business through the open uni.

A business degree might be a better bet. In the Law careers subforum, the grads all seem to be moaning about the lack of opportunities/ training contracts at the moment.
Reply 30
Im am just wondering about credit transfer? I'm looking into starting in Oct 2012 and wanting to try transfer credits from my first year of study. The problem is that I'm still in my first year of study and do not finish until June. You need your transcript in order to get credit transfer but I don't know when I could obtain this, therefore my question is could I start modules (level 2) and then once my transcript is received they could transfer it then? Or do I need to wait for my credit transfer to come through before I start any modules?
Reply 31
Original post by chunkychel
Im am just wondering about credit transfer? I'm looking into starting in Oct 2012 and wanting to try transfer credits from my first year of study. The problem is that I'm still in my first year of study and do not finish until June. You need your transcript in order to get credit transfer but I don't know when I could obtain this, therefore my question is could I start modules (level 2) and then once my transcript is received they could transfer it then? Or do I need to wait for my credit transfer to come through before I start any modules?

You won't get your transcript from your current uni until the Board of Examiners has sat for your course (which'll happen sometime in the summer); your marks basically aren't official until then. In general, there should be nothing to stop you starting Level 2 modules before you've applied for credit transfer, but some modules may expect you to have done specific modules at Level 1, so you might need to talk to them if this is the case for whatever you want to do.

(Edit: It's also worth bearing in mind that they may not allow you to transfer all your credits towards your OU course anyway, depending on the degree you have been doing and the one you wnat to do...)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
hi i was wondering if you would be able to help as i am new to the ou. I am in the middle of filling out my registration forms and i was wondering if anybody knew which english qualification would be the equivalent of the irish leaving certificate, thanks
Reply 33
Original post by tia d
hi i was wondering if you would be able to help as i am new to the ou. I am in the middle of filling out my registration forms and i was wondering if anybody knew which english qualification would be the equivalent of the irish leaving certificate, thanks

It doesn't really matter what you put for that, there are no entry requirements so it's just for their stats I would think. If you get it when you finish secondary school at around 16 I guess it'd be the equivalent of GCSEs, or A-Levels/BTEC if it's a qualification you get after finishing college or sixth form at around 18.
Reply 34
Original post by tia d

Hi Tia,

The equivalent to the leaving certificate would be A Levels. :smile:
Reply 35
hi Kate and Daisy2, thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. i have got it all sorted now and i am now registered with the ou.
Reply 36
I see that the new undergraduate qualification pages are up! Looks like a big restyling to make things clearer to people. The pathways are dispalyer much better. No individual module fees up yet though.
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/index.htm
Reply 37
Hiya,
Just wanted to ask if i was to start a opening course this year, and then move on to doing a degree in natural science or mathematics, would i be classed as a existing student thus pay current fees and not 2012/2013 fees?

Thanks guys!
Reply 38
Original post by ab12345
Hiya,
Just wanted to ask if i was to start a opening course this year, and then move on to doing a degree in natural science or mathematics, would i be classed as a existing student thus pay current fees and not 2012/2013 fees?

Thanks guys!

So far as I can tell, yes - provided you ensure you link the module you do this year to the degree you want to study towards, and declare that you want to get transitional funding for that degree within the relevant timescale (by 31st August, and you won't be able to register for a next year module 'til you've done it). Might want to double check with the OU, but I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.
Reply 39
Original post by Persipan
So far as I can tell, yes - provided you ensure you link the module you do this year to the degree you want to study towards, and declare that you want to get transitional funding for that degree within the relevant timescale (by 31st August, and you won't be able to register for a next year module 'til you've done it). Might want to double check with the OU, but I haven't seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Hiya,
Thank you for your reply.
Just quickly wanted to verify something, I'm from a science background (All science a-levels), so im not sure if opening courses would be suitable for me :confused:

Could i do a stand alone course in chemistry/biology in May, and then have those credits carried onto a Natural Science degree?

It can be confusing at times researching OU and I do appreciate your help!
:smile:
x

Quick Reply