The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University FAQ and Information Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ab12345
Hiya,
Thank you for your reply.
Just quickly wanted to verify something, I'm from a science background (All science a-levels), so im not sure if opening courses would be suitable for me :confused:

Could i do a stand alone course in chemistry/biology in May, and then have those credits carried onto a Natural Science degree?

It can be confusing at times researching OU and I do appreciate your help!
:smile:
x

If you've done science A levels within the last year then you really ought to start with S104 Exploring Science. The course will cover familiar ground but also move you on a level so that you can take any of the Level 2 science modules. But if you're trying to beat the new fees then try any of the L1 science 10 credit short courses. They have an S code rather than a Y code.
(edited 12 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 41
Original post by Nitebot
If you've done science A levels within the last year then you really ought to start with S104 Exploring Science. The course will cover familiar ground but also move you on a level so that you can take any of the Level 2 science modules. But if you're trying to beat the new fees then try any of the L1 science 10 credit short courses. They have an S code rather than a Y code.

Thank you for your help.
Do you know anything about the financial side to OU?
If i was to start a course related to Natural Science in May, would my fee grant then go towards modules in the Bsc that starts in Sep 12/Feb 13?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by ab12345
Thank you for your help.
Do you know anything about the financial side to OU?
If i was to start a course related to Natural Science in May, would my fee grant then go towards modules in the Bsc that starts in Sep 12/Feb 13?

Thank you! :smile:

Forgot about this post in my PM but you'll have to decide whether you start your studies in May and pay the lower transitional fees but it means finding money whilst you study (there is assistance for some). Or take what might be the more straightforward route and get a student loan and start in the Autumn or later. The options are dependent on your personal circumstances. Some OU students, such as those who work full time, are able to pay their own way but many are on low incomes and will need more support. The loan system could work better for some of them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
So you can't study individual modules anymore? You HAVE to do a degree/qualification?
Is it imperative to start on the day set or can you start a week or so later? (I have AS exams when my module starts)
Reply 45
Original post by bloomingblossoms
Is it imperative to start on the day set or can you start a week or so later? (I have AS exams when my module starts)

The study timetables are advisory but you need to give yourself enough time for the TMAs. Some course activities require online collaboration and the tutor will set the timetable for them.
Reply 46
I second what Nitebot said. The exam for my final Level 2 course was a week after both my Level 3 courses started. Not recommended!
Original post by Nitebot
The study timetables are advisory but you need to give yourself enough time for the TMAs. Some course activities require online collaboration and the tutor will set the timetable for them.

Right, thanks!
What if i was only to do a module?
Reply 48
Original post by bloomingblossoms
Right, thanks!
What if i was only to do a module?

What do you mean? You're not committed to completing a degree if you sign up to start in May. Are you doing the school YASS scheme? If not you need permission from your school to do OU modules.
Reply 49
Hi,

I complete my final level three OU module soon. To be precise I submit the EMA on the 1st of june.

I think I will get the module result around August/September.

What I cannot find is any information on how long it takes them to issue the degree after you have got the full 360 credits. The OU website doesnt seem to have that info.

Does anyone know where to find this information????

Thank you!!
Reply 50
Hi everyone,

I have decided to apply for a few intern positions. I need to give the name and contact details for someone from my university (OU) who will be able to provide me with a reference. Can I give my tutor's details? Should it be my current or past tutor? Thanks.
Reply 51
Original post by Anya15
Hi everyone,

I have decided to apply for a few intern positions. I need to give the name and contact details for someone from my university (OU) who will be able to provide me with a reference. Can I give my tutor's details? Should it be my current or past tutor? Thanks.

Can be either. Email the one you've completed a module with and ask if they'll be a referee.
How long does it take for the Open University to contact you once you have submitted registration? Bear in mind, I've been told that there are student details that match mine so they need to check whether I'm already registered. I don't remember registering with them at all.
Reply 53
Original post by Logical-Patience
How long does it take for the Open University to contact you once you have submitted registration? Bear in mind, I've been told that there are student details that match mine so they need to check whether I'm already registered. I don't remember registering with them at all.

That happens quite often the first time someone tries to register - have you given them a call? They can sort it out fairly easily.
Don't worry, it's sorted. Thanks anyways.
Reply 55
Hi, I have just registered for the Ba hons History- classical studies pathway, to start in feb 2013. Once I submitted the form it told me I would hear from them shortly but its been a good few days now and Ive had no reply. Am I registered for the course and how long does it usually take for them to get in touch?
Reply 56
Okay ignore my post Ive just seen someone has asked the same question. Sorry!!
Reply 57
Hiya. Anybody else doing K319, starting February?

Reply 58
Hi guys
I am REALLY interested in starting a Bsc Honours degree in Psychology through OU. However, I want to travel at the same time. Has anybody else done this - studied and travelled at once?
Thanks in advance for any info or replies :smile:
For those that are studying and working, in case you got a transfer from your place of work, how then will you continue with your studies???
I'm really confused

Quick Reply

Latest