The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University FAQ and Information Thread!

Scroll to see replies

If I'm doing a Diploma of Higher Education, will I get any UCAS points or anything to help me get into uni?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by riotofthedamned
If I'm doing a Diploma of Higher Education, will I get any UCAS points or anything to help me get into uni?

You won't get any UCAS points, but you should be able to use the DipHE to gain admission to another university. I suggest you contact the universities you're interested in and ask them if they accept OU credits for entry.

There may be financial implications if you plan on starting a new degree course from the first year. If you have taken out a loan for two years of study with the OU and then start a new course at a new university, you will have to pay the first two years of fees yourself.
Hi,

I have a quick question about the flexibility of OU courses. Can I study part time some years and full time others? Owing to work and financial commitments, I want to study 60 credits a year for 2 years and then 120 credits a year for 2 years. This would give me a degree in 4 years (I really don't want to wait 6!) and allow me to get on with my plans for my future learning.

Thanks in advance, what a great resource this is!
Reply 63
Original post by racheypie666
Hi,

I have a quick question about the flexibility of OU courses. Can I study part time some years and full time others? Owing to work and financial commitments, I want to study 60 credits a year for 2 years and then 120 credits a year for 2 years. This would give me a degree in 4 years (I really don't want to wait 6!) and allow me to get on with my plans for my future learning.

Thanks in advance, what a great resource this is!

Yes you can that's the beauty of it! to arrange it all you either call them up or do it on your student profile if i'm not mistaken :smile: what are you studying? i'm starting the ppe degree
Original post by benry
Yes you can that's the beauty of it! to arrange it all you either call them up or do it on your student profile if i'm not mistaken :smile: what are you studying? i'm starting the ppe degree

:biggrin: Oh that's fantastic! Thanks, I'll phone them tomorrow if I can't figure out how to do it on my profile. I'm doing an open degree so I can study German Language and English Literature at 180 credits each. PPE sounds really interesting, good luck!
:biggrin: Oh that's fantastic! Thanks, I'll phone them tomorrow if I can't figure out how to do it on my profile. I'm doing an open degree so I can study German Language and English Literature at 180 credits each. PPE sounds really interesting, good luck!

Why are you doing an Open degree if you want to study German and English Literature? You can do 180 credits in each subject on the BA Humanities degree - wouldn't you prefer to have a named degree rather than "BA Open"?
Original post by Snufkin
Why are you doing an Open degree if you want to study German and English Literature? You can do 180 credits in each subject on the BA Humanities degree - wouldn't you prefer to have a named degree rather than "BA Open"?

Hmmm. That's kind of a good point Snufkin, thank you. I've just looked into the BA (Hons) Humanities and you're right, that one would work just as well for me. I suppose the idea of an open degree appealed to my character more, because I like the idea of choice, although a Humanities degree seems to have a broad range of options, all of which would suit my purposes.

Thank you very much! I feel like I'm rushing into this a little if I'm honest. I only decided to do the degree this month having learned more about OU, and although I'm ready to study, I'm nowhere near having all the components in place yet (especially re. funding and applications).

I applied for the Open Degree this morning, but it says they have duplicate records of me (I have no idea how!) and there may be some delay! Does anybody know if I can change courses at this stage? I would still be doing the same modules after all, just under the 'BA (Hons) Humanities heading!

Thanks once again Snufkin! :biggrin:
Does anybody know if I can change courses at this stage?

You probably could, but I doubt its worth the hassle. It is really easy to switch degrees once you've started at the OU. Once you're doing your first module just phone them and ask to be transferred to the BA Humanities degree.
Original post by Snufkin
You probably could, but I doubt its worth the hassle. It is really easy to switch degrees once you've started at the OU. Once you're doing your first module just phone them and ask to be transferred to the BA Humanities degree.

Thanks, I'll do that then!
Is it possible to study two seperate degrees at once and secure loans for both? Or would you need to pay for one yourself?
Original post by EvilKaynevil
Is it possible to study two seperate degrees at once and secure loans for both? Or would you need to pay for one yourself?

You can only get a loan for one degree. You can pay for another yourself, but it would be a HUGE mistake to try and to two at the same time.
Original post by Snufkin
You can only get a loan for one degree. You can pay for another yourself, but it would be a HUGE mistake to try and to two at the same time.

I thought as much. Was just curious anyway, but thank you!
Original post by EvilKaynevil

Original post by Snufkin

You also can't do 2 degrees at once due to rules about how much you can be charged per year for study (regardless of how it is paid for; student finance or personal money). Think the max value equates to 150 credits of study which you can't even do without special permission to go over the 120 full time limit.

Think this was the thread it was explained in: http://learn1.open.ac.uk/mod/forumng/discuss.php?d=47932#p508247
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm almost 18 and am in the process of applying for a Bachelor degree in Psychology/Social Psychology. I don't want to go too far away from home although the local university (which I'm in love with!) has high entry requirements which would mean I'd have to improve all of my grades by one. Not impossible, but unlikely :/
I was wondering what an Open University degree would be like? Could I do it, is it good for those who are 18 to just study at home and get a part time job, or is it too much?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated - a very stressy student right here xD
Hello, the open university is good if you want to be able to balance commitments. More often than not you find people who will study part time for six years alongside work, raising children etc.
Per module (60 credits) the workload is more than manageable, usually working through a couple of chapters and submitting an assignment roughly every month-depending on what subject you take.
The assignments in themselves aren't anything to worry about. Each one comes with a few points of
Reply 75
Hi i now this post is old, but I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I am 17 and doing an apprenticeship at the moment, however, I hate it! Im thinking of dropping out and doing an OU business degree, can I do one at 17? Please let me know, thanks x
Hello,
I have signed up specifically to ask about the OU. I was wondering, if someone can answer this, do students at the OU ever meet/interact with professors? I know people have personal tutors etc, some of whom are PhD graduates, but I have come across several web pages with pictures and bios of OU professors so I know for certain that they exist :tongue:But what do they do? Do they prepare TMA's and other materials? Do they do research only? If they do research, can you get in touch and propose to help on projects like many undergraduates at other universities do? Has anyone ever done this? Any feedback/shared experiences would be helpful. I don't know if the OU still replies to these threads, it would be great to hear from them too.
Original post by standardintegral
Hello,
I have signed up specifically to ask about the OU. I was wondering, if someone can answer this, do students at the OU ever meet/interact with professors? I know people have personal tutors etc, some of whom are PhD graduates, but I have come across several web pages with pictures and bios of OU professors so I know for certain that they exist :tongue:But what do they do? Do they prepare TMA's and other materials? Do they do research only? If they do research, can you get in touch and propose to help on projects like many undergraduates at other universities do? Has anyone ever done this? Any feedback/shared experiences would be helpful. I don't know if the OU still replies to these threads, it would be great to hear from them too.

Well tutors and 'professors' (which we don't really have in this country) are one in the same sometimes. You only meet them face to face at tutorials, but many you never meet as tutorials are moved online.

You probably can go and help in labs etc, but you'd need to enquire with whoever's lab it is, like for any other lab position. Helping on projects/paid work isn't something the OU really advertise, but there's nothing stopping you applying to a different university for a summer placement.

It'd be better to actually get in touch with people at the OU about this.
Hi,

I have been reading about the fees and funding on the OU website but I have some questions, since the web link I've been looking at mainly talks about Part Time students only. http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-and-funding
Are there many people who do Full Time courses with the OU? Is it recommended? I am aware that most OU students choose to study Part Time so that they can work on the side, however, my reasons for considering the OU are more about being able to stay at home/close to family while I study.
What are the tuition fees for Full Time students, and will this be covered by Student Finance?
If I study Full Time at the OU, will I be eligible for any maintenance grants/loans?
Also, I have been reading about the "Partner Universities" on the OU website. So does this mean that every student will have to attend one of these universities during the course? I've looked at the list of universities (http://www.open.ac.uk/choose/openplus/partner-universities) and none of them are that close to me. Do tutorials/labs take place in the partner universities or are other places arranged based on where you live?

Quick Reply

Latest