The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University FAQ and Information Thread!

Open University FAQ and Information Thread

Welcome to the Open University Forum! :hi:

Well it seems that you are interested in studying with the OU or seeing what it is all about. :holmes: Hopefully you will find all the answers to your questions on this thread. If your haven't found the answer for it so far then please feel free to post and someone will hopefully answer it for you :h:

There has been a lot of threads in this forum (and I mean a lot that ask certain questions. Some of these questions may have been asked and answered many times before) So hopefully this thread will be of some use to prospective, new and existing Open University students alike. :h:

What is the Open University?

Spoiler

How does Open University study "work"?

Spoiler

How much does it cost to study at the Open University?

Spoiler

Is any Financial Support availible?

Spoiler

Do employers and other places of education recognise/respect an Open University degree?

Spoiler

Who is the Open University for?

Spoiler

What facilities are availible for me?

Spoiler

What courses can I do?

Spoiler

How old do I have to be to study with the Open University?

Spoiler

What about course materials?

Spoiler

Do I have to do a Degree?

Spoiler

Do I actually maintain any contact with anyone?

Spoiler

Are there any Entry Requirements?

Spoiler

How much can I study and How long is it?

Spoiler

What happens if say I want to quit or something or take a break?

Spoiler

I will add more Questions and Answers in the future should anymore pop up. If your question has not been answered or you find that I missed soemthing please do let me know! Post here. I hope this has been of some help to you guys! :h:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Post reserved
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I'd change the 'how much does it cost' section because I'd guess the majority of people still thinking about whether or not to start with the OU may have missed registration dates for Jan/Feb starts and so will have to start on the 2012 loan system, which means no more free degrees for low earners unfortunately.

Good idea to have a thread to collate all the FAQs though! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Yes, good idea Agent Smirnoff! I've said before that we could do with a FAQ sticky about OU topics. I was reading that the OU is already the largest university in the country for 18-25 age group and it's possible that many more in that group may be signing up once the loan system kicks in.
Reply 4
Original post by Kate.
I'd change the 'how much does it cost' section because I'd guess the majority of people still thinking about whether or not to start with the OU may have missed registration dates for Jan/Feb starts and so will have to start on the 2012 loan system, which means no more free degrees for low earners unfortunately.

Good idea to have a thread to collate all the FAQs though! :biggrin:

Oh well that's true! :biggrin: So what happens with us current students now? I am currently doing SK185 and I am applying for B120 now.

It starts in Jan 2012....... will I not get that module for free?

What happens if you just want to study random modules that interest you but don't want a degree? I hope I get B120 for free! :erm:

I think I may go to a Brick uni one day (I hope to eventually study Medicine) but that would be no good if I piss away all of my availible student fund money on OU Modules that aren't going for a degree. :erm:

Original post by Nitebot
Yes, good idea Agent Smirnoff! I've said before that we could do with a FAQ sticky about OU topics. I was reading that the OU is already the largest university in the country for 18-25 age group and it's possible that many more in that group may be signing up once the loan system kicks in.

Thanks! :h:

That's pretty good! It seems a lot of young people on TSR study with the OU. I wonder how much OU study will cost...... still cheaper than a degree from a brick uni? :holmes:

TBH I think Open Uni is like the Cambridge of Distance Learning :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Oh well that's true! :biggrin: So what happens with us current students now? I am currently doing SK185 and I am applying for B120 now.

It starts in Jan 2012....... will I not get that module for free?

What happens if you just want to study random modules that interest you but don't want a degree? I hope I get B120 for free! :erm:

If you are currently registered for a degree and all courses you now sign up for can be linked to that degree then you will qualify for transition arrangements and financial support, regardless of whether you then actually fulfill and/or claim said degree.

If it is just "random modules" that you're interested in but they "fit" into a named degree then link them to that when registering. Otherwise link them into an Open degree instead.

Just beware of the points limits for levels and the total points of 360 for an Honours degree cannot be exceeded under transition fees.
Reply 6
Original post by Hexe72
If you are currently registered for a degree and all courses you now sign up for can be linked to that degree then you will qualify for transition arrangements and financial support, regardless of whether you then actually fulfill and/or claim said degree.

If it is just "random modules" that you're interested in but they "fit" into a named degree then link them to that when registering. Otherwise link them into an Open degree instead.

Just beware of the points limits for levels and the total points of 360 for an Honours degree cannot be exceeded under transition fees.

Well I am in the process of studying for my first OU Course :smile: .......

So if I select a random degree and take all the modules I want then its free for me? :holmes:

Even beyond September 2012 right? What happens if you say do a load of science , engineering , maths and business courses and selected Open Degree but all of a sudden want a Science degree?
Reply 7

So if I select a random degree and take all the modules I want then its free for me? :holmes:

Even beyond September 2012 right? What happens if you say do a load of science , engineering , maths and business courses and selected Open Degree but all of a sudden want a Science degree?

If you qualified for financial support for the duration of studying to your degree then yes you would get it all "for free". However there is a time limit imposed on the financial support provision that you can only take up to twice the time taken for equivalent full-time study.
In simple terms... if a full-time degree in your chosen subject takes 3 years then you would only be able to get financial support for up to 6 years maximum.
This doesn't prevent you from continuing your study to degree level beyond those 6 years but you would no longer qualify for funding.

You will need to inform the OU of your chosen degree shortly (early 2012 is being mentioned) but you would still be able to transfer to any other degree of your choice provided your studied courses meet the requirements for it.
You could study a bit of everything under the sun and link them all to the Open degree, or start with say science and change your mind later then transfer it all to an Open degree as long as your points are in the appropriate levels etc.

Hope that makes sense :rolleyes:
Reply 8

You could still switch to a science degree but you'd have to make sure that you did all the compulsory or compulsory optional modules for it. And you'd need to get them done by 2017.
Hi,

My first OU course doesn't start until January, does anyone know when I will be able to apply for a NUS Extra card? When I tried to apply it said 'start date of course' and the options only went up to 2011, does that mean I won't be able to get a card until September next year?

Also, I've only applied to two courses so far and I've been granted financial support on both of those but from what I've read in this thread I'm wondering whether I will get finance for the courses I apply for next year and the year after to complete my degree?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by HalfBloodPrincess
Hi,

My first OU course doesn't start until January, does anyone know when I will be able to apply for a NUS Extra card? When I tried to apply it said 'start date of course' and the options only went up to 2011, does that mean I won't be able to get a card until September next year?

Also, I've only applied to two courses so far and I've been granted financial support on both of those but from what I've read in this thread I'm wondering whether I will get finance for the courses I apply for next year and the year after to complete my degree?

For financial support, read this page!.

As for the NUS card, I think I always applied a couple of months before my course started I think, as soon as I was registered...but mine have always been the same year (so I applied for my NUS card in August when my next module started Sept/Oct). If you can't select 2012 yet you may not be able to apply. You could try just doing it with 2011 start date and seeing what happens though!
Reply 11
Original post by HalfBloodPrincess
Hi,

Just use the date where you registered for the course/finalised everything/got some sort of confimation as a start date. If you get your course materials before your course (IE: December or November 2011) what is to stop you from working ahead (like I did when SK185 started in September and I got my pack in August) therefore as far as anyone is concerned... your start date is the date where you start working.

So apply for the NUS Card now I suppose. You won't be able to select 2012 for a while.

As for financial support..... If the course starts before September 2012 and everything kicks in...... select the kind of degree or qualification that you want and choose everything etc...... You will get the normal Financial Support package.

Original post by Nitebot
You could still switch to a science degree but you'd have to make sure that you did all the compulsory or compulsory optional modules for it. And you'd need to get them done by 2017.

Original post by Hexe72
If you qualified for financial support for the duration of studying to your degree then yes you would get it all "for free". However there is a time limit imposed on the financial support provision that you can only take up to twice the time taken for equivalent full-time study.
In simple terms... if a full-time degree in your chosen subject takes 3 years then you would only be able to get financial support for up to 6 years maximum.
This doesn't prevent you from continuing your study to degree level beyond those 6 years but you would no longer qualify for funding.

You will need to inform the OU of your chosen degree shortly (early 2012 is being mentioned) but you would still be able to transfer to any other degree of your choice provided your studied courses meet the requirements for it.
You could study a bit of everything under the sun and link them all to the Open degree, or start with say science and change your mind later then transfer it all to an Open degree as long as your points are in the appropriate levels etc.

Hope that makes sense :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help guys! :biggrin:

Think I may just select any course.

I wouldn't mind doing Law modules :awesome:
Reply 12

Thanks for the help guys! :biggrin:

Think I may just select any course.

I wouldn't mind doing Law modules :awesome:

Watch out for Law... due to the higher course fees you won't get fully financed for the whole degree :rolleyes:
Original post by Kate.
For financial support, read this page!.

As for the NUS card, I think I always applied a couple of months before my course started I think, as soon as I was registered...but mine have always been the same year (so I applied for my NUS card in August when my next module started Sept/Oct). If you can't select 2012 yet you may not be able to apply. You could try just doing it with 2011 start date and seeing what happens though!

Agent Smirnoff
Just use the date where you registered for the course/finalised everything/got some sort of confimation as a start date. If you get your course materials before your course (IE: December or November 2011) what is to stop you from working ahead (like I did when SK185 started in September and I got my pack in August) therefore as far as anyone is concerned... your start date is the date where you start working.

So apply for the NUS Card now I suppose. You won't be able to select 2012 for a while.

As for financial support..... If the course starts before September 2012 and everything kicks in...... select the kind of degree or qualification that you want and choose everything etc...... You will get the normal Financial Support package.

Thanks guys! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Absinth
I've received a long e-mail from the Open Uni explaining that my first year would count towards 120 credits of an Open Uni degree, and 60 credits of a named degree. I'm debating which one to take and if it will affect my employment opportunities in the long run. Then again, I want to graduate asap (would be at the end of 2013 with an Open degree). Anyone know what they would do in my situation?

I wouldn't try and rush things. 90 or 120 credits worth of modules a year might seem reasonable but the large amounts of reading plus all the assignments and computer tests can soon bog you down and make you unhappy and perform badly. I'm not even sure you'd be allowed to complete an Open degree by 2013 if you're starting in Feb 2012 but someone else may be able to clarify that. What career are you after?
Reply 15
Original post by Absinth
Sorry, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. I've done a year at university, and I've been told by the OU that this would mean that I am exempt from 120 credits at level 1 of the Open Degree.

120 credits is supposed to be the equivalent of a year's full time study. I have no other commitments, so I don't think it would be unreasonable, but I'm e-mailing them atm asking for their opinion as I've done distance learning before so I'm used to the structure. I don't really know what kind of career I want, although I'd like to do a Masters in something related to English/creative writing.

120 credits is what you would study in a year of full time university, but with the way OU modules run the workload can vary a lot. For example, I wouldn't recommend doing 4 separate 60 point modules that all run October-June, as TMA dates are often quite similar so you may have 4 TMAs due in within a period of a week or two, and your final EMAs/exams will all be due at a similar time. At full time uni you would usually do 60 credits over the first semester and 60 in the second in my experience, whereas you could be studying all 120 simultaneously with the OU. It can be done, of course! You just might need to be a bit more organised. It also depends on if you're planning on working - I work full time and 90 points overlapping has been quite easily manageable for me so far, but how people cope with distance study/work varies massively.

Open Degree vs named degree is up to you though. Perhaps speak to some potential future employers and see what they think?
Reply 16
Original post by Absinth
Sorry, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. I've done a year at university, and I've been told by the OU that this would mean that I am exempt from 120 credits at level 1 of the Open Degree.

120 credits is supposed to be the equivalent of a year's full time study. I have no other commitments, so I don't think it would be unreasonable, but I'm e-mailing them atm asking for their opinion as I've done distance learning before so I'm used to the structure. I don't really know what kind of career I want, although I'd like to do a Masters in something related to English/creative writing.

Hi there. I did understand what you meant but I was a bit concerned that you might be pushing yourself too much. It's as Kate says really. Even my 10 pointer alongside my 60 pointer has been a pain.
Reply 17
Original post by Absinth
Are you working part time? Which subject are you studying?

I work full time in a 9-5 type office job. I'm studying S104 Exploring Science (60 credits) (see my thread on it) and S155 Scientific investigations (10 credits). S104 is quite demanding time wise so this is more than enough. I'm glad S155 ends before Xmas. I was with the OU years before and once tried two 30 point courses together and became a cropper and had to drop a L3 IT course wasting £200. No-one should get themselves into that situation really so it's always worth being cautious about what you think you can study.
Reply 18
CHANGES TO BE MADE TO THE OP:

Changes to be added to the Original Post on Monday 28th November 2011:

1) Change Finance Section with relation to what Kate. said about 2012 Finance

2) Create a new section entitled: "Can I transfer to Open University" and explain credit transfer.

3) Add a special section on the Law Degree (LLB Hons) offered by the Open University.

Anything else I missed? Let me know! :h:
Reply 19
hello,

I am a student outside UK and i have some questions .
What about fees with international students?
Can i get financial support if i am not a UK citizen?

I need to know the exact fees for the 3 years bachelor program BA (Honours) in business studies
Are there any minimum requirements O.U demands from students like a good grade of high school or other diplomas?

Do I have to wait until 27 of March in order to register and see what lessons I should choose?
Where I can take a look of the lessons so I can decide?
If I register on Mach 27 2012 when I have to take my first exams?

Do I have to take any entry level test in order to proceed with my registration?

Do you have any limitation when you choose your students? If so is there any chance that I can be left out even if I pay my fees for registration?

I would really appreciate it if you give me any advice.

My best wishes for a happy new year,

Quick Reply

Latest