The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Dundee Applicants 2012!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Applied for maths G100. Glad I seen this post, never gave any consideration to the accommodation. Anyone applied for Queens Belfast? :smile:
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Original post by JakeE10
Ah right cool! Do you know if any of the accomm has a bar/pool table and stuff?

And did you apply for first year entry? (like myself)
Thank you :biggrin:

EDIT: I think i like the look of Heathfield accommodation the most! Do you know anything about it? :biggrin:

none of the accomodation has a pool table or bar, but the union does and it's a two minute walk

i'm in first year at the mo! :smile:

Healthfield is nice, three floors (i think) and it's just round the back from belmont, next to the gym :smile:
Reply 102
Original post by bescientific69
none of the accomodation has a pool table or bar, but the union does and it's a two minute walk

i'm in first year at the mo! :smile:

Healthfield is nice, three floors (i think) and it's just round the back from belmont, next to the gym :smile:

Ah right ok, that's cool. Are there a lot of english students there? :smile:
Reply 103
where's everyone applying to Dundee from? I'm from Manchester, so it's about 5 hours from here! quite a long way!! Anybody else applying from 4/5 hours away or more?!
Reply 104
I'm applying from Finland to study English. :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by JakeE10
where's everyone applying to Dundee from? I'm from Manchester, so it's about 5 hours from here! quite a long way!! Anybody else applying from 4/5 hours away or more?!

I'm further :P
I live about 40 minutes west of Oxford. So driving Google Maps says 7.5-8.5 hours!
Original post by Elisax
I'm applying from Finland to study English. :smile:

Hey, nice!
I am applying from Germany for English and Creative Writing.
Reply 107
Original post by Alice.
I'm further :P
I live about 40 minutes west of Oxford. So driving Google Maps says 7.5-8.5 hours!

wow, that's far. You make me feel close being 5 hours! Is dundee your 1st/2nd/3rd choice or what? :smile:
Reply 108
I'm from Bulgaria, applying for Law and on paper i'm supposed to get in. But, of course, it's never that easy ...

So, that would be approximately 1600 Miles or

2600 kilometres
Reply 109
Original post by ~Wonderwall~
Hey, nice!
I am applying from Germany for English and Creative Writing.

Really nice! I didn't dare to take Creative Writing, too, but probably end up doing those CW courses if I get in :wink:
Reply 110
Original post by JakeE10
wow, that's far. You make me feel close being 5 hours! Is dundee your 1st/2nd/3rd choice or what? :smile:

No idea atm! Probably not my first (Southampton), but I've only seen Soton and Keele and was waiting to see if I get offers from the other 3 before visiting :smile: I'm a reapplicant (applied last year for vetmed, didn't get the grades) and now resitting some modules in Jan. Will see what my results are in March as to where I firm :smile:
Reply 111
Haha! applying all the way from Exeter! Yeah it's no finland or bulgaria but its still quite a trek! :L
Reply 112
is anybody definitely putting Dundee as their firm/insurance if they get an offer? :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by JakeE10
is anybody definitely putting Dundee as their firm/insurance if they get an offer? :smile:

I am, an insurance, although I think that I might be left with no choice. I aim quite high compared with my grades.
Reply 114
Original post by 3PL
I am, an insurance, although I think that I might be left with no choice. I aim quite high compared with my grades.

why so? & I'm definitely putting Dundee as my insurance too if i get an offer :smile:
I've applied for History and Politics. Hoping to get a conditional when they start making decisions :biggrin:
Reply 116
Original post by JakeE10
why so? & I'm definitely putting Dundee as my insurance too if i get an offer :smile:

Well, my other choices are: Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Hull.

Around here if I'm to say that I'm applying to Edinburgh the response would something like "wishful thinking, huh ?!", "well, you know how it is with Edinburgh, right". Just being admitted in Edinburgh is almost unheard of.

Aberdeen is quite picky too. Two-three years ago they were fine, then all of the sudden they've raised their requirments for Bulgarians to 100% for Law. (grades)

So these are my wild cards, quite risky. So I'm left with Hull and Strathclyde and they're plausible but, yeah, still risky :biggrin:.

And here's Dundee - I should be fine with it, but admission process isn't an exact science and while I'm supposed to get in (my grades are high enough) no one knows what's gonna happen.

And I like Dundee anyway and it would be a very wise decision to put it as my insurance, because my choices can be put in 3 categories.

1. Edinburgh and Aberdeen
2. Hull and Strathclyde
3. Dundee

But I'll wait to see how this is going to work out, I'm hoping for some gifts for Christmas, although I've sent my application today : ). I'd like to follow each others progress in the thread.
Reply 117
Original post by 3PL
Well, my other choices are: Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Hull.

Around here if I'm to say that I'm applying to Edinburgh the response would something like "wishful thinking, huh ?!", "well, you know how it is with Edinburgh, right". Just being admitted in Edinburgh is almost unheard of.

Aberdeen is quite picky too. Two-three years ago they were fine, then all of the sudden they've raised their requirments for Bulgarians to 100% for Law. (grades)

So these are my wild cards, quite risky. So I'm left with Hull and Strathclyde and they're plausible but, yeah, still risky :biggrin:.

And here's Dundee - I should be fine with it, but admission process isn't an exact science and while I'm supposed to get in (my grades are high enough) no one knows what's gonna happen.

And I like Dundee anyway and it would be a very wise decision to put it as my insurance, because my choices can be put in 3 categories.

1. Edinburgh and Aberdeen
2. Hull and Strathclyde
3. Dundee

But I'll wait to see how this is going to work out, I'm hoping for some gifts for Christmas, although I've sent my application today : ). I'd like to follow each others progress in the thread.

Ah right ok, but you'll be surprised! I can guarantee you'll get more offers than you think! I was the exact same. My choices also go into 3 categories:

Leeds and Aston
Hull
Dundee and Chester

I applied to Leeds and Aston thinking I had no chance, which is why I had Hull, as a back up for a firm if I was to get rejected at my top 2. However, I received offers from both. :rolleyes:

Up to now I've had 4/5 offers. Everyone but Dundee - but I've heard they're not giving out offers until January. If everything goes to plan then I'll have Leeds as my firm (which is ok as I have an offer) and Dundee as my insurance!!!

Good Luck!:biggrin:
Reply 118
Original post by JakeE10

Yes! I don't know if it will be my firm or insurance, it would probably be my insurance if I get an offer from Strathclyde (Which is extremely unlikely).
Reply 119
10x, I hope you're right about that ; ) !
And I'd love to get an offer from one/both of my risk choices. But even if they give me I'll be unable to meet the requirments (crappy teachers, support and understanding equals zero).

And about Dundee, yeah, it's some kind of official rumour about the offers, so it's true. But I expect that there would be a wave of offers till twentieth december because Christmas is close and after that it's January and they'd have a lot of work to do and there already is enough suitable candidates.

PS: Inform us if you hear from Dundee ; )

Quick Reply

Latest