The Student Room Group

Computer Science Interview??

HELP! I have been offered an interview from Sheffield hallam for the computer Science, and Software engineering course I applied to. What should i expect in terms of question, will I need to revise or learn anything beforehand?

Any help is apprecaited as i am a majorly confused! :confused:
Reply 1
I had 2 CS interviews last week, with Leeds and York.

Leeds one turned into an informal chat, actually over ran my time slot too as we were having a proper chat.

York one was more formal, asked me the differences between CS and IT, a bit of a chat regarding consequences of bad code, and a maths question. Again went over my time slot.

Got offers from both.

I think the important thing is that you are comfortable and honest, remember that the person your talking to isn't going to be your boss or even your teacher like at school, this person is almost an equal. Their knowledge is greater than yours but they are there to help you, not to manage you like a boss/school teacher. With this in mind its easier to relax I find.
Reply 2
Original post by mike101
I had 2 CS interviews last week, with Leeds and York.

Leeds one turned into an informal chat, actually over ran my time slot too as we were having a proper chat.

York one was more formal, asked me the differences between CS and IT, a bit of a chat regarding consequences of bad code, and a maths question. Again went over my time slot.

Got offers from both.

I think the important thing is that you are comfortable and honest, remember that the person your talking to isn't going to be your boss or even your teacher like at school, this person is almost an equal. Their knowledge is greater than yours but they are there to help you, not to manage you like a boss/school teacher. With this in mind its easier to relax I find.

Thanks, this is good information! Do you think that I should dress really formally (as in suited/shirt and trousers, or more casually) as I was told it would be a 'smart casual' thing.

Also, do you think improving my skills and revising would be a good idea, it is in quite a few yet? :smile:
Original post by Qas1m
Thanks, this is good information! Do you think that I should dress really formally (as in suited/shirt and trousers, or more casually) as I was told it would be a 'smart casual' thing.

Also, do you think improving my skills and revising would be a good idea, it is in quite a few yet? :smile:

Id certainly dress smart, at least if you wear a suit you can take the jacket off if necessary; I think if it was me id wear a suit.
I dont think you need to revise really, theyll probably ask some generic questions about computer science.
Reply 4
Original post by Qas1m

Best to go for suit to be honest. At least then you have nothing to lose.
Reply 5
Original post by hypercaine.
Id certainly dress smart, at least if you wear a suit you can take the jacket off if necessary; I think if it was me id wear a suit.
I dont think you need to revise really, theyll probably ask some generic questions about computer science.

Thanks, i thought that but I didn't want to seem to formal and not connect with the interviewer, considering they would proabably ending up being a part of the course! :smile:
Reply 6
I wore some dark jeans, casual shirt and some trainers (not reebok classics, nice going out style trainers).

Glad I didn't wear a suit, most people were in jeans/chino's and a shirt. The few in suits looked a bit out of place throughout the day if i'm honest.

Wear what you feel comfortable in, the interview is about you and your passion and ability for CS, they dont care how you dress. As long as you are comfortable you will come across as best you can.
Reply 7
Original post by mike101
I wore some dark jeans, casual shirt and some trainers (not reebok classics, nice going out style trainers).

Glad I didn't wear a suit, most people were in jeans/chino's and a shirt. The few in suits looked a bit out of place throughout the day if i'm honest.

Wear what you feel comfortable in, the interview is about you and your passion and ability for CS, they dont care how you dress. As long as you are comfortable you will come across as best you can.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't want to seem out of place or anything! I think chinos and a shirt will be alright then! Was your interview with hallam??
:biggrin:
Reply 8
No York and Leeds
Original post by mike101
asked me the differences between CS and IT

Reply 10
If I was going I would wear blue jeans and denim espadrilles, an i hack charities. t shirt and orange reflective tint sunglasses (they match with my crazy ginger hair).

One of the most important things is to always smile and keep a positive impression in the interviewer's mind. Keep eye contact. The interviewer's personal impression of you will be complete in about eight seconds, so make sure you come across as a likeable personality right from the start.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending