The Student Room Group

PGCE Mature students

I am a 'mature' student (35) attempting to do a PGCE Biology as a career change from being a research scientist. I had an interview yesterday and was asked why I had chosen PGCE - I guess as opposed to SCITT or GTP. I tried to explain, and then she made some comments about older students finding the classroom portion of the course difficult or frustrating. She didn't really allow me to interject so I don't know if she was trying to warn me....or what. It did make me think about whether or not I was training via the right route and also about going to a Uni that had that attitude towards older students. Perphas they just have a very young student profile. Has anyone else had any similar experience? Any other mature prospective students out there?
Original post by lemonjaffacake

I am a 'mature' student (35) attempting to do a PGCE Biology as a career change from being a research scientist. I had an interview yesterday and was asked why I had chosen PGCE - I guess as opposed to SCITT or GTP. I tried to explain, and then she made some comments about older students finding the classroom portion of the course difficult or frustrating. She didn't really allow me to interject so I don't know if she was trying to warn me....or what. It did make me think about whether or not I was training via the right route and also about going to a Uni that had that attitude towards older students. Perphas they just have a very young student profile. Has anyone else had any similar experience? Any other mature prospective students out there?

That's really really odd that they've said that to you - I'm not sure why! She seems like she wasn't exactly helpful or encouraging!

I did a primary PGCE last year and the majority of the people on my course were late 20s to late 30s, with a substantial number being older. I'd say around 40% of people on it were career changers who had had a successful other career prior to entering teaching then there was another sizeable group who had graduated from university 2-6 years ago and were now wanting to do something "proper". The people who were straight out of uni and 21/22 were definitely in the minority.

On my PGCE I found that the people who did their degrees years ago and were now returning to education struggled with the academic content of the course because they'd been away from studying for so long and also because things have changed so much since they were at uni in terms of the use of technology. However, the uni were really good at having focus session and extra information classes for people who felt they needed more support in this area and these people got on fine in the end and passed, they were just more worried about it than the people who had recently finished their degree. Obviously the people who had returned to education later in life to do their first degree then moved straight to the PGCE didn't have a problem here and I imagine if you've been a research scientist you're still on top of the academic game so this wouldn't really be a problem to you either.

I'll be 30 next year. I don't think you should worry about your age. Your life experience should stand you in good stead, and you won't always be in the university.
Reply 3
I am 39 and applying for a PGCE Maths. I graduated in Manufacturing Engineering 15 years ago. Since then I ahve worked in industry and for the last 5 years have worked abroad as adiving instructor.
The universities I have spoken to thought PGCE was the best route for me because it gets me straight into acamdemic work. I guess it is university dependant??
I guess they may suggest GTP as you can earn and study at the same time. I prefer to be focussed on training rather than be doing a paid job at the same time.
Good luck and please let us know the outocme of your interview.
Reply 4
Are you sure they weren't just playing devil's advocate to make sure you really want to do it?
Reply 5
Thanks everyone. Yeah, she could have been playing devils advocate but she spent what seemed like a long time talking about it. I did try to put across my reasons for choosing a PGCE so hopefully that was clear. I had an email saying they're not in a position to offer places until they know their TDA place allocation, which could be Jan 2012. So I'm still waiting :angry: grrrr!
Thanks everyone. Yeah, she could have been playing devils advocate but she spent what seemed like a long time talking about it. I did try to put across my reasons for choosing a PGCE so hopefully that was clear. I had an email saying they're not in a position to offer places until they know their TDA place allocation, which could be Jan 2012. So I'm still waiting :angry: grrrr!

I'm not sure but that sounds positive....surely if they thought you were rubbish you'd have got a "no" already. Sounds like they want you but can't say so til they know how many spaces you've got.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending