The Student Room Group

McGill, University of Toronto or University of British Columbia?

Ok so i will be applying for pre-med in Canada at these universities. Lets say my a-levels are AAA/AAB in chem, bio and maths. + loads of extra curricular activites including headboy and rowing captain. First of all, will i be able to get into these universities and if i do which one is the best in terms of the education, environment, weather, people etc.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackout94
Ok so i will be applying for pre-med in Canada at these universities. Lets say my a-levels are AAA/AAB in chem, bio and maths. + loads of extra curricular activites including headboy and rowing captain. First of all, will i be able to get into these universities and if i do which one is the best in terms of the education, environment, weather, people etc.

Well, you should visit the campuses and get a feel for what your next 4 years would be like. Everybody here will have a different opinion about these 3 schools and be biased depending on the school they attended. In the end, it's your preferences that count the most. All 3 schools are excellent and all would enable you to go on to a great med school if you do well.
I went to McGill so of course I would recommend it and say it's the best choice. I don't know how it compares to U of T for pre-med in terms of quality of education but I know it's an excellent school and I'd definitely much rather live in Montreal than Toronto...
Also, you might want to consider where you would like to go to med school later on as part of your decision process..
Academics: as a general rule, they are the 3 most well known and respected unis in Canada; you can't really go wrong any of them. (having said that, McGill generally has more notoriety outside Canada than the other two).
Environment: I've only visited Montreal and Toronto, but I've heard BC is beautiful. McGill and Toronto are classic big city downtown campuses, I preferred Montreal as a student city but that's just personal.
Weather: UBC: decent weather. Toronto: Colder. McGill: feking cold.
People: you get stereotypes at each; UBC is all asian, Toronto is a commuter uni lacking in spirit, and McGill has snobby kids and stubborn french locals. How true any of these are is anyone's guess.

I chose McGill because it seemed to have the best mix of academics, social life and it will be cheapest :wink:. Having said all this, I have no real idea which is the best for med... so don't take my word on the academics.
Reply 3
Original post by chad_bro_chill
Well, you should visit the campuses and get a feel for what your next 4 years would be like. Everybody here will have a different opinion about these 3 schools and be biased depending on the school they attended. In the end, it's your preferences that count the most. All 3 schools are excellent and all would enable you to go on to a great med school if you do well.
I went to McGill so of course I would recommend it and say it's the best choice. I don't know how it compares to U of T for pre-med in terms of quality of education but I know it's an excellent school and I'd definitely much rather live in Montreal than Toronto...
Also, you might want to consider where you would like to go to med school later on as part of your decision process..

But the thing is that I am from Pakistan and so I don't have time to go to Canada and visit the campus. I think McGill is the most well known one out of those but UBC and U of T also have very good rankings. Heard that UBC is beautiful place.
But the thing is that I am from Pakistan and so I don't have time to go to Canada and visit the campus. I think McGill is the most well known one out of those but UBC and U of T also have very good rankings. Heard that UBC is beautiful place.

OK... But I'd think twice before embarking to a new country and uni you've never actually seen for yourself. Also, if you plan on doing med school, that's at least a 7-year commitment for time spent in Canada (assuming you'll continue on to med school there).

As Ishamo already pointed out, each school (and city it's in) has its pros and cons, and people, especially coming from foreign countries like you, will have differing opinions about which uni is "the best".
Reply 5
I'm also facing the same dilemma as you although its just a matter of choosing between UBC and McGill for me.

If academic reputation is your priority, choose McGill. Its ranked as the best medical school among all Canadian uni according to McClean.

But if you do consider other factors like uni culture and environment as equally important, then it will be up to you to decide.

Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
As a Canadian student, here's my perspective:

If you're going into life-sciences with an intention to go into med school, I'd definitely NOT recommend UofT. Yes, it's ranked highly, but rankings are NOT everything. It's super competitive, and your GPA will not be as high as it would be if you went to a smaller university (& GPA is the important factor in med school admissions). UofT does not focus on undergrad education at all, and you really would not be getting the education you'd want there.

On the flip side, as an international student, you'll probably fit in really well in Toronto. However, the same can be said for Montreal and Vancouver as well, the two other largest and most multicultural cities in Canada. Being big cities, the social life is about the same as well, and the same could probably be said for weather (although winters in Vancouver are milder than those in Toronto and Montreal). One thing to keep in mind about McGill however, is that if you're looking for a part-time job during the school year, unless you speak French as well, you'll be hard-pressed to find one.

if you're going into med school in Canada (after undergrad), I'd highly suggest you look at other unis as well, because WHERE you get your undergrad degree will NOT matter. Nonetheless, other well-known/top-ranked life sciences/pre-med programmes would be McMaster's Health Sciences (super competitive) or Life Sciences, and Western's Biomedical Sciences.

Hope this helps & remember, rankings are NOT everything, especially for undergrad!
Reply 7
any idea about getting accepted wid ABBC at AS levels ., into Mcgill and British Coloumbia.?
Original post by Hafiz
any idea about getting accepted wid ABBC at AS levels ., into Mcgill and British Coloumbia.?

Depends on the program, for Arts... maybe but you'll need to improve at A2, for Sciences... probably not.

Also, why write "wid"... just why?
Reply 9
For Canada u need loada of extra-curricular. If i do get offers then i think i will end up going to mcgill as it has the highest reputation internationally and that is what matters the most for me.
For Canada u need loada of extra-curricular.

Wrong, it makes little or no difference to Canadian applications... you're thinking of the US.

If i do get offers then i think i will end up going to mcgill as it has the highest reputation internationally and that is what matters the most for me.

Reputation isn't everything, picking a uni solely on that would be foolish beyond belief.
Reply 11
LOL STR8 UP Canadian universities don't require much. I find its much harder getting into a UK university.
I don't see why you'd want to come to Canada for medical you'd be making a big mistake.
They rarely accept international students into med-school, they prefer Canadian students first and also theirs only a 20% success rate into getting into MED SCHOOL, even as a Canadian citizen. You're better off doing it somewhere else, you will get NOWHERE here.
Reply 12
If all those things you said are true then I think you have a fairly decent chance of getting into Uni in Canada.

I'm from Vancouver and I can tell you a few things about UBC:

There's 2 Campus' - Vancouver and Okanagan. I'm assuming you're aiming for the main campus being Vancouver. They're both good but since the Okanagan one is less popular it's slightly easier to get into.

Education - Well from what I've heard it's fairly good. Most of my friends find it hard since high school is ridiculously easy here. Best in BC no doubt. I can't really tell you much about your course but most of my friends are satisfied with the teaching.

Scenery - Yes it is very beautiful. It is a very green city and most of the buildings are very modern. I find people here like to be active which corresponds with that.

Weather - Probably has the most mild weather in Canada. In Vancouver it doesn't get as cold/hot as Toronto or Montreal. The only downfall is that it rains quite a bit.

People - BC has many asians it's true. It has to do with history though. Vancouver is actually a very multicultural city. One of my favourite things about it is that you can find food served from every part of the world.
Reply 13
U of T and McGill are about the same in terms of league tables and international notoriety.
I'm at U of T, and I'd recommend it if you're willing to work. Grad School recognise that anyone who's been churned through U of T, and has done well, is the real deal. We're known for really putting the boot in.

If you're looking for a tough school, where you really learn the material and subject, then U of T is a top choice.
Reply 14
McGill has a better worldwide reputation than the other two.
Reply 15
Am i making a mistake coming to canada for pre-med / medicine?
the main reason for me applying to Canada is because it is highly likely that i will get all rejections from UK universities. I have already applied there and my grades were probably less than mediocre for medicine. I got 3A*s, 4As, 2Bs and 1 C in my GCSEs. In my AS i got AABB and i am predicted AAA/AAB for my A2. Now for the UK these grades are not very good and the competition is intense therefore i am very likely to get all rejections. In Canada i am also applying to McMaster, Alberta and Dalhousie.

I also considered applying to the US but the whole SAT 1 and SAT 2 business + my a-levels really put me off. Can somebody give me some advice then?
Reply 16
Original post by buggity
McGill has a better worldwide reputation than the other two.

For some things, not others. Graduate schools know which are the most intensive programmes, and nobody tops U of T for being difficult.

Perhaps for employers, but I don't know.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
That's never stopped us. :wink:
Reply 18
I wouldn't put much faith in rankings.

Regardless, all three are good universities, and I would say McGill is probably the best. The hardest in terms of acceptance would by far be McGill. Of course, they are all difficult for med as I've heard the government puts restrictions on how many med students a university can take. (I've heard in Alberta it's either 40 for U of A and 40 for U of C, or 40 in all, can't remember. That could just be a rumor, though.)

If you're in to partying, I would suggest looking around at the legal drinking age as it varies from province to province. Alberta is 18, BC is 19 but other than that I cannot tell you off the top of my head.

In terms of weather, UBC will be very mild; however, there is a reason they call Vancouver "Raincouver" :tongue: U of T and McGill are going to be d*** cold during the winter (-25 to -40 degrees celcius) and hot during the summer (25 to 35). U of T will also gets wicked storms, winter and summer, because of the humity from the great lakes.

I'm not a huge fan of Toronto, to be honest. It's big and smoggy. However, I know many people who love it there. Vancouver is fantastic, in my opinion, but I have never been Montreal (though I have heard it is very pretty).

All of Canada is very-multicultural, but Vancouver and Toronto are the most, so fitting in as an international student won't be difficult. That being said, Vancouver is mostly asian and Toronto seems to have more of a mix. Montreal is in Quebec, so it's obviously French; be prepared to learn some - McGill may be an English university, but it is situated in a French city. However, I have heard that there's an "English-side" and a "French-side."

Also, French Canadians have a reputation for being very rude if you cannot speak French well. I have only ever visited the Quebec side of Ottawa so this is not from experience, though.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Tudball
That's never stopped us. :wink:

Trueee :wink: but in terms of going to big clubs, they have ID scanners and it's pretty hard to get in without a realistic, non-counterfeit fake. The government is also increasing these measures soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending