The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston University Official Representative

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Baz123
Hmm but if you met the A level requirements why would GCSE results be an issue? :/

you need a minimum of C in gcse maths and english. i went to their opening day and they said its a must
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by pakizrulez
you need a minimum of C in gcse maths and english. i went to their opening day and they said its a must

Yes I know that but for some courses they ask for a grade B so would it make a difference if you only had a grade C
Original post by Baz123
Yes I know that but for some courses they ask for a grade B so would it make a difference if you only had a grade C

It might as there will be other people applying for that course and if they've met the GCSE grade requirements, they're more likely to be chosen first.
Original post by Baz123

yeah thats a different case then
Original post by Baz123
would i be rejected if my GCSE grades were below the required grade, but my A level grades met the course requirements?

You need to meet all of the entry requirements, both GCSE and A level, to receive an offer from Aston University. For instance all our courses require at least GCSE grade C in English. If you do not have that, even if your A levels are fine, we will be unable to offer you a place. If you are unsure if you meet the entry requiements, please contact the University directly.
Original post by I<3Gul
] hi :smile:
I have recieved an offer from Aston for optometry at AAA and altho I already hold an A in English literature I am struggling with chemistry :/ I was wondering whether there is much leniencey when it comes to the grades? I am intent on coming to Aston it's my first choice and Im in love with the university.. Please let me know..

Thank you for your post. When A-Level results are released, we first allocate places to those who meet the exact terms of their offer. If places are still available we can then look at allocating them to Firm choice applicants who have come close to meeting the terms. However, this is very uncertain as it all depends on availability of places and optometry at Aston is a highly competitive course. Therefore, the only way to guarantee your place is to meet the exact terms of your conditional offer.
Reply 26
Original post by Aston University
You need to meet all of the entry requirements, both GCSE and A level, to receive an offer from Aston University. For instance all our courses require at least GCSE grade C in English. If you do not have that, even if your A levels are fine, we will be unable to offer you a place. If you are unsure if you meet the entry requiements, please contact the University directly.

Does this mean that there is no possibility of me being accepted onto a course if i do not meet the GCSE requirements?
Original post by Baz123
Does this mean that there is no possibility of me being accepted onto a course if i do not meet the GCSE requirements?

Please contact the University directly for individual advice. It's impossible for me to advise you correctly without knowing your qualification history.
Reply 28
Please contact the University directly for individual advice. It's impossible for me to advise you correctly without knowing your qualification history.

Hi there, I currently hold an offer for Economics & Management, although after doing more research I think I would prefer to do Business & Management instead. Would it be any hassle for me to change to this course if I achieved my offer?

Thanks.
Reply 29
Hey karen

I am currently in my second year of sixth form, and I am currently studying Business and ICT BTEC LEVEL 3, my predicted grades for both subjects are at D-M however I am working on DD and above for both subjects and I am very confident that I am going to achieve better grades than I am predicted. I have also got an A-Level in German which I completed in the first year and received a grade B.

I applied for International business with a year in industry at Aston University which was updated on UCAS Track on the 24th of november 2011. I meet all the GCSE requirements including english and maths at grade C.

I have yet not received a reply from Aston University, and I am really worried about the fact that they are taking so long to reply, can you please let me know why it is taking so long and give me some information on how strong my application is? I really want to go to Aston, Birmingham.

Kind Regards

Simar
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Simar
Hey karen

I am currently in my second year of sixth form, and I am currently studying Business and ICT BTEC LEVEL 3, my predicted grades for both subjects are at D-M however I am working on DD and above for both subjects and I am very confident that I am going to achieve better grades than I am predicted. I have also got an A-Level in German which I completed in the first year and received a grade B.

I applied for International business with a year in industry at Aston University which was updated on UCAS Track on the 24th of november 2011. I meet all the GCSE requirements including english and maths at grade C.

I have yet not received a reply from Aston University, and I am really worried about the fact that they are taking so long to reply, can you please let me know why it is taking so long and give me some information on how strong my application is? I really want to go to Aston, Birmingham.

Kind Regards

Simar

Hi Simar

Thanks for your message.

We do like to take the time to consider all applications very carefully so I am sorry for the delay in making a decision on your application.

Without seeing your application myself I cannot comment on it's strength. I can reassure you though that we will make a decision as soon as possible.

Kind regards

Karen
Reply 31
My only concern are my grades, are my grades strong enough to be given a conditional offer?

Kind Regards

Simar
Original post by Simar
My only concern are my grades, are my grades strong enough to be given a conditional offer?

Kind Regards

Simar

Hi Simar

Your grades are within the range to receive an offer. Please be advised that we take the whole application into consideration, not just predicted grades, when making decisions. I cannot guarantee that you will be made an offer.

Kind regards

Karen
Reply 33
Original post by XO*
Hi there, I currently hold an offer for Economics & Management, although after doing more research I think I would prefer to do Business & Management instead. Would it be any hassle for me to change to this course if I achieved my offer?

Thanks.

As you haven't received a reply yet, I thought I'd add what I know as I'm a current Business School student. You can transfer courses within the Business School at the end of the first year but not to courses such as the LLB Law with Management; Economics and Management to Business and Management at the end of the first year would be fine but it does have to be approved by the exam board. I would imagine however that it would be relatively easy to switch when you get here; if not, first year modules are the same between Economics and Management and Business and Management anyway.
Reply 34
Original post by Kim-x
As you haven't received a reply yet, I thought I'd add what I know as I'm a current Business School student. You can transfer courses within the Business School at the end of the first year but not to courses such as the LLB Law with Management; Economics and Management to Business and Management at the end of the first year would be fine but it does have to be approved by the exam board. I would imagine however that it would be relatively easy to switch when you get here; if not, first year modules are the same between Economics and Management and Business and Management anyway.

Was looking to switch before I start the course to be honest. I don't think there is Econometrics in Business Management...
Reply 35
Econometrics is a second year module anyway. It's in Business and Management if you take the Economics stream.
Reply 36
Hello, my name is Karen and I work at Aston University. As an admissions officer within Aston Business School I can answer questions relating to making an application for our business courses, but I can also help with any questions about studying at Aston, what Birmingham is like, or anything else that you’d like to know. If you would like information about any of the other degrees at Aston please free to ask and I’ll get the answer for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Karen Nisbett
Official University Representative

Hi, not sure if you'll be able to help with this but I have a question about the excellence scholarship which is for students who achieve AAB or above in their A Levels. I wanted to know if you still qualify for the scholarship if one of your A grades is in a subject not accepted by the uni for your course e.g. General studies?
Original post by n_123
Hi, not sure if you'll be able to help with this but I have a question about the excellence scholarship which is for students who achieve AAB or above in their A Levels. I wanted to know if you still qualify for the scholarship if one of your A grades is in a subject not accepted by the uni for your course e.g. General studies?

Hello. The Excellence Scholarship takes no account of subject so, yes, you would still qualify if one of your A grades is in General Studies. Of course, you would need to meet the entry requirements of your course first.

Thanks for your message.
Reply 38
I still havent got a reply from aston for the international business course and aston is the only uni i want to go to, why is it taking so long ?
Hello. The Excellence Scholarship takes no account of subject so, yes, you would still qualify if one of your A grades is in General Studies. Of course, you would need to meet the entry requirements of your course first.

Thanks for your message.

hey aston gave me a offer of BBB for chem engineering, if i end up with ABC or AAC, would they still take me?

Quick Reply

Latest