The Student Room Group
man met?
Oh wow this is the first time I've ever heard anyone mention Bangor on the Foreign Langs thread - is that because it's not a very good uni for languages? Or it it cuz it's not got any literature n history?

Before everyone started goin on about the literature etc I thought Bangor seemed perfect (apart from not doing enough Germanic langs)
Reply 3
Hey i was looking at Bangors website and it does do courses in literature and history... i don't know how anybody didn't spot it. I'll paste what it says:

Semester 1:
LXF1008 Constructing French Nationality (KG)
Most of us profess to be of a certain nationality, to belong to a certain country, associating ourselves with its values, its heritage, its personality. But what exactly is nationality? Is it a timeless set of characteristics or a constantly changing construct fashioned in response to images of alterity, images of difference, images of foreigness? Using journalism, film, art, literary theory and fiction from the Francophone world, this course will examine what it means to be French. It will explore the extent to which French national identity creates itself in relation to images of ‘otherness', studying the role that race, gender, geographical and cultural difference play in the construction of "Frenchness".
Semester 2:
LXF1007 Introduction to French Literature (BF)
This module provides an overall introduction to the literature of France since the Renaissance, intended both for students who have not studied it before, and to provide background and context for those who may have studied a selection of texts for A-Level. You will be introduced to landmark authors and movements, and the historical and cultural backgrounds against which they need to be considered. We will look at examples of prose, poetry and theatre from various periods, working with extracts rather than full texts, though you will be encouraged to read independently at greater length. The module also aims to give you a grounding in the study and research skills appropriate to French literature, and to give you a sense of orientation when choosing literary modules for your second and final years. Assessment will be 100% coursework, and will assess your investigative skills as well as your knowledge of the material.

You are also encouraged to consider the 20-credit module LXE1100 Introduction to European Culture, which runs all year.

Thats obvioulsy just for the first year. Although they do concentrate a lot on communication etc..
Reply 4
The best I've seen so far are Oxford and Exeter...

Latest

Trending

Trending