The Student Room Group

Opinions on ethical issues

If you are against animal testing its unlikely you'll be accepted onto the course because part of the requirements are for you to do some animal experiments, this isn't a problem because I agree with animal testing to some extent.

The thing I'm slightly worried about is if I express my opinion on Zoos at interview (at Bristol I hadn't really thought it through and said I supported them but now, having thought about it, I don't think they are ideal in any way) will I be penalised for not agreeing with them? Or will it not be an issue because they don't mind which side I argue for as long as I have opinions and can support them?? I don't want to have to lie just to get a place :mad: !!

Cheers for any thoughts or answers!
Reply 1
I don't think they would mind that you have a problem with zoos, as long as, as you said, you have a well thought out reason behind your opinion. Also it is probably helpful to be able to acknowledge that they play a role in conservation, through breeding programmes and advancing our understanding of behaviour, ecology etc, even if they are not ideal from an animal welfare aspect.

What is your reason for not liking zoos?
Reply 2
They won't mind if you don't agree with them as long as you can back your opinion up with a logical reasoned arguement.
Reply 3
im in my first year at the RVC doing vet med....and i argued with my interviewer (kathy botham for anyone who goes to the rvc :eek: ) about animal testing in my interview....i am very much against it.....i had to accept that if i wanted to do this course i would have to do some etc but still doesnt change my opinions on it...but anyway yeah i argued about how pointless it was for a while...and i didnt even have a very good arguement..just my person views....so it only stopped when she said so would you like it if your drugs had only been tested on a computer....at which point i finally conceeded cause i suddenly realoised what i was doing.....arguing with my interviewer about a topic the college obviously felt very strongly about cause they have their own labs etc....so i was convinced it was a terrible interview and didnt think i stood a chance...so much so that at the next interview at liverpool i pretended to have a more reasoned judgement of animal experimenting etc....and it turned out the interviewer there was against animal testing..so i got all confused and well..i didnt get a place there so.....
Reply 4
Quote: What is your reason for not liking zoos?

Well....
I don't like them because they're not a fair set up, the zoos are out, at the end of the day, to make money and so animals are bred constantly, not to sustain the species with in depth breeding programs (which would be pointless anyway; all the inbreeding would result in lack of genetic variety etc) but instead to keep little cute cuddly animals around to keep the public happy.

They do have an aspect to play in education but this isn't great either; the children that go there aren't taught to respect animals the whole situation doesn't show animals in a light that attracts the respect they deserve (lions caged up all day, doesn't reeeeally portray the 'king of the beasts' title they deserve). The behaviour expressed that is studied isn't natural, its stressful for the animals and they can't act out normal roles; predator/prey, alpha male etc. There caged up most of their life and only let out occasionally so that when they are out they move around (again keeping the public happy)!

They do do their bit for conservation but, come on, what life is a life of confinement compared to one out in the wild which they were entitled to! And also who's to say that humans should act as 'god' and choose which species to save from going extinct, its all survival of the fittest! Having said that its humans that have put them in the sticky situation that some species are in, so I do think we should be acting to conserve them!

Overall zoos aren't all bad, animals born into them wouldn't know any different and they do do their bit towards conservation and education, but better set ups are things like nature reserves and safari parks where animals can experience slightly more freedom and express natural behaviour. If we're going to bother saving them we might as well give them a life thats worth saving, and teach in a realistic approach instead of saying 'oh look tigers are cute and cuddly' they aren't pets kids (and some adults) should be taught to realise that!

....thats why I don't like them :p: preach over lol, anyone disagrees with something i've said please say :biggrin: !
Reply 5
Have you read "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel??

You might find some interesting opinions on zoos in there.
Reply 6
nope, not read that i'll check it out thanx!!
Reply 7
its a really enchanting book! definately a good read, irrespective of the zoo thing.
Reply 8
You know, When I went to uni I had a lot of strong views on animal ethics and am against unnecessary animal testing etc, unsuitable zoo enclosures etc as well as being a staunch anti as far as the foxes are concerned, however when you learn indepth about animal research at vet school, which certainly at liverpool you don't have to do, you learn that actually its not all bad and how it actually benefits animals.

Also, as vets our usual first exposure to semi cruelty caused by domestication isn't as far afield as in zoos-look at keeping pets in homes and horses in stables and how commonly it effects them behaviourally.

Although I don't want this thread to go all political and i don't want you to all backlash and blather on about animal testing or other issues whichever side you're all on,

I think its useful for you to know that you're opinions may change when you see all sides of these sorts of debates, learn where food comes from, how things die, what hurts and what doesn't, what animals think etc, and thats one of the privelages of vet school- that you on the whole get to know the facts. Its certainly helped me to make more informed descisions than 4 years ago. We're so lucky to be able to learn more about animal issues than the general public! So keep an open mind. I haven't compromised what i believe but I can see most sides and why things have to be the way they are sometimes.

As for debating (not arguing!!) in interviews, it stands you in good stead that you can stand your ground eloquently and i think interviewers like it.
Reply 9
You know, When I went to uni I had a lot of strong views on animal ethics and am against unnecessary animal testing etc, unsuitable zoo enclosures etc as well as being a staunch anti as far as the foxes are concerned, however when you learn indepth about animal research at vet school, which certainly at liverpool you don't have to do, you learn that actually its not all bad and how it actually benefits animals.

Also, as vets our usual first exposure to semi cruelty caused by domestication isn't as far afield as in zoos-look at keeping pets in homes and horses in stables and how commonly it effects them behaviourally.

Although I don't want this thread to go all political and i don't want you to all backlash and blather on about animal testing or other issues whichever side you're all on,

I think its useful for you to know that you're opinions may change when you see all sides of these sorts of debates, learn where food comes from, how things die, what hurts and what doesn't, what animals think etc, and thats one of the privelages of vet school- that you on the whole get to know the facts. Its certainly helped me to make more informed descisions than 4 years ago. We're so lucky to be able to learn more about animal issues than the general public! So keep an open mind. I haven't compromised what i believe but I can see most sides and why things have to be the way they are sometimes.

As for debating (not arguing!!) in interviews, it stands you in good stead that you can stand your ground eloquently and i think interviewers like it. :-)
Reply 10
look i think as long as your views are in some way sitting on the fence, or not too extreme it doesnt matter what you say.

For rvc in the interview i thought i has seriously messed up when i had inadvertently turned the conversation to vets being the most suicidle career in britain, how it got there i dont know, but it did and they looked suprised and said that had never ever been mentioned in interview before, however i still got offered a place.

I think you should think of as many ethical issues as possible and then have advantages and disadvantages for both, don't commit yourself to one direct path, because with ethical issues there is always another point of view which you may not have thought of.

Latest

Trending

Trending