The Student Room Group

Should I do the IB or a levels

ok so I am in year 11 I am predicted an a* in physics, history and english. A's in english lang chemistry and biology. B's in geography and french and a c in Maths
I have no clue on what a levels to take

Scroll to see replies

Your asking other people, what you want to do.
Hey lizzie, i like skyrim, but i also like starcraft.
Which game should i play?

But seriously, do some reasearch into the two as they are very different paths. Choose the one that you like the most.
I did IB and it's a waste of time - trust me, A Levels are easier and whilst universities fail to accept IB for the rigorous task that it is, you might as well take A Levels and have a good social life too! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by SirLauberlot
I did IB and it's a waste of time - trust me, A Levels are easier and whilst universities fail to accept IB for the rigorous task that it is, you might as well take A Levels and have a good social life too! :biggrin:

Don't listen to this bullcrap.

My advice? Talk to a careers adviser in your school about which they think will suit you. Also visit different sixth forms, as well as reading about both. Then decide which you like most, and which suits you.
Original post by mevidek
Don't listen to this bullcrap.

My advice? Talk to a careers adviser in your school about which they think will suit you. Also visit different sixth forms, as well as reading about both. Then decide which you like most, and which suits you.

Did you take IB?
Reply 5
Ok so it is a lot more work then A levels but is it worth it
A levels if you're applying to universities in England or if you are absolutely unsure as to what you want to do at university.

IB has been promoted as the greatest thing since sliced bread... 'oh universities will love you!' 'You're a much more diverse student'... in the UK that isn't true (right now anyway) A levels are still the way to go unless you want to apply abroad.

Which ever you take good luck
Original post by lizzie96

I've answered in the post above
Original post by lizzie96

It depends what you mean by "worth it". If you think it will set you up for an easier route into university, then no. It is certainly a lot harder to get 38 points than it is to get 3 As at A Level. However, if you want some sort of academic enlightenment and reeeeally wish to study a language, english, maths, a humanity, a science, etc, and have no possible way of doing this at A Level, then it's your only choice.

My advice would be to take A Levels; tailor them around what you're really interested in and what you want to do at university, and spend the extra time on the subjects you enjoy rather than the subjects you dislike.

Also, due to the modular system of A Levels rather than the explosion of pressure that is the IB exams (with their 2 years worth of 6 subjects exam period crammed into 3 weeks), the exams will be a lot less stressful and a lot easier to revise for; due to the additional time you will have per subject, and the less you will have to revise for.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
A levels if you're applying to universities in England or if you are absolutely unsure as to what you want to do at university.

IB has been promoted as the greatest thing since sliced bread... 'oh universities will love you!' 'You're a much more diverse student'... in the UK that isn't true (right now anyway) A levels are still the way to go unless you want to apply abroad.

Which ever you take good luck

Was typing whilst this was being posted but agreed about the false hype that UK schools do to promote their IB courses. However, even if you want to go to uni in places like the US, you'll still have to sit SATs, etc, the same as if you hadn't taken IB - it just counts as extra credit when you actually start the course at the uni.
Do not do ib if you are applying for uk universities. There is no correlation between a 40 poin offer, which is what I was offered from one university compared to equivalent a level grades.
(did ib and did well about 3 years ago)
Argh I typed out a long response and my internet shut down

In short:
Predictions vary so wildly from actual grades
Marking of IB is quite frankly, haphazard and a massive lottery
The amount of work you do compared to what you get out of it is ridiculous
If you have any weakness it will destroy you
Too many people I know doing it got burnt out and stressed for me to think it was just teenage stress
I'm just going to repeat how haphazard and varying this marking is. And trying to get a remark is like getting blood out of a stone.
Reply 12
Original post by SirLauberlot
Did you take IB?

No, I'm going to do them though. IB isn't a waste of time, universities like it, and it's possible to have a decent social life. Only those that can't do it will not be able to have any social life for 2 years.
Original post by mevidek
No, I'm going to do them though. IB isn't a waste of time, universities like it, and it's possible to have a decent social life. Only those that can't do it will not be able to have any social life for 2 years.

Universities may like it but right now they don't like it as much as schools make it out to seem. I think that's what schools should avoid doing really, it's unfair to the pupil
Reply 14
Universities may like it but right now they don't like it as much as schools make it out to seem. I think that's what schools should avoid doing really, it's unfair to the pupil

If you think so :tongue:
IB is very difficult (regardless of what some people seem to think!) and in the UK, universities don't fully appreciate it, which is why some IB offers in comparison to A level offers are ridiculous. You can have a social life if you balance your time well.
Research more into both options- another point I'll make is that it does make a difference if you go to a school/college which is experienced in doing the IB- Mine had experience and therefore the teacher's knowledge (apart from a couple who'd only recently started teaching it) of how IB exams and how it dffers from A levels is better. I've read some stories online from people who went to schools which had recently started offering the IB and their experiences weren't as good. May be worth speaking to students at the schools you're interested in.
Original post by mevidek
If you think so :tongue:

well they better like it loads... if they don't i'll cry
Reply 17
well they better like it loads... if they don't i'll cry

Why would they lie? I think it was the head of the Russell Group who said that an A grade at A-level today is worth a C about 20 years ago. IB prepares people more and creates more well-rounded students. Why are more and more schools offering IB? Because it's now seen as better than A-levels.
Original post by mevidek
Why would they lie? I think it was the head of the Russell Group who said that an A grade at A-level today is worth a C about 20 years ago. IB prepares people more and creates more well-rounded students. Why are more and more schools offering IB? Because it's now seen as better than A-levels.

i understand what you mean but i think they over exaggerate how 'amazing' the IB is. I think it's a great programme but it matters what universities think too. I'm not sure how they come up with offers though. For example, the standard offer for trinity college cambridge is 42 points whereas it's A*AA at A level. I'm not sure whether that's unfair or fair but it looks unfair to me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mevidek

Quite a lot of assumptions there mate.
Universities say they like it but the offers they give out are far harder to attain than A levels. Don't be fooled by IB propoganda your school foists on you.
As for social life, depends on how long your school have been doing it. I was in the second year of doing it and we would get huge amounts of work dumped on us.
If you're still in your GCSE year, I cannot emphasise how much of a step up work is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending