The Student Room Group

Medicine Offers Discussion Thread 2012 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamal B
Leeds have been poor this year, conflicting news everywhere, but the latest is, if you haven't heard, you've been rejected :frown: Ah well... I didn't bother with the open day, still considering the offer holders day, probably on the 27th as well. I'm pretty sure either day is going to have a pretty high desi density with atleast one heated discussion about politics :P

haha yeah leeds need to fix up.. reckon they're just trying to get fewer applicants next year by shamelessly blankin this years lot.
and dude, if ur still considering, you might be a bit late. didnt they have that whole fuss about how places for the days are limited so book early etc? :P
and dude.. that desi discussion about politics will just be with the lads. us girls will be exchanging tips on how to make the perfect daal and roti meal :wink:
Reply 161
Original post by abhatti1994
haha yeah leeds need to fix up.. reckon they're just trying to get fewer applicants next year by shamelessly blankin this years lot.
and dude, if ur still considering, you might be a bit late. didnt they have that whole fuss about how places for the days are limited so book early etc? :P

Ah well, we'll see...

Original post by abhatti1994
dude.. that desi discussion about politics will just be with the lads. us girls will be exchanging tips on how to make the perfect daal and roti meal :wink:

You've been brought up well.
Original post by Tzarchasm
Laith Hakeem is a very Arabic name.

Know anything about his background?

I don't know really, he doesn't seem to post much about it :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
BARTS MED OFFERRRR!!!!! :biggrin: :woohoo:

SO happy right now! Gotta draw up a pros and cons table now (to make sure as I really love both so much), but looks like I might be firming Barts! :biggrin:
Original post by ViceVersa

SO happy right now! Gotta draw up a pros and cons table now (to make sure as I really love both so much), but looks like I might be firming Barts! :biggrin:

PRSOM :grumble:

Congrats!
Original post by confused dot com
PRSOM :grumble:

Congrats!

It's okay :tongue: :h:

Reply 166
Original post by ViceVersa

heyy, I really want to apply for barts this year and my gcse's are really crap like 5A's 4B's 1C in core science which I'll be resitting (because I did my gcse's late) :\. got 4A's in my AS jan exams though and hoping to get all A's by august =) and im doing work experience for a 6 month period once a week which im thinking will stand out, any tips on getting barts offer could you send me your personal statement too please, any advice will do thannkkksss! =D well done congratssssssssssss!!!!!! :P
Original post by ikhi
heyy, I really want to apply for barts this year and my gcse's are really crap like 5A's 4B's 1C in core science which I'll be resitting (because I did my gcse's late) :\. got 4A's in my AS jan exams though and hoping to get all A's by august =) and im doing work experience for a 6 month period once a week which im thinking will stand out, any tips on getting barts offer could you send me your personal statement too please, any advice will do thannkkksss! =D well done congratssssssssssss!!!!!! :P

There is actually a page on TSR which has many sample personal statements you can take a look at.

About your work experience - it's important to write on your Ps what you have learned from the experience. Personal statments, in my opinion, are qualitative assessment rather than a quantitative assessment. Make sure to put great amount of detail on what you have experienced and how it will help you in your future career.
Durham offer! So happy - I received my Newcastle offer recently, which I'm firming, but it completes the set!

I'm so happy to see lots of my fellow class mates (mature students) receiving offers also. Brings me great hope for the future, as so many will become superb clinicians.
Reply 169
Original post by islanders
Durham offer! So happy - I received my Newcastle offer recently, which I'm firming, but it completes the set!

I'm so happy to see lots of my fellow class mates (mature students) receiving offers also. Brings me great hope for the future, as so many will become superb clinicians.

4 OFFERS! :eek4:
That is amazing, congrats. :biggrin:
Original post by apple17
4 OFFERS! :eek4:
That is amazing, congrats. :biggrin:

Thank you, and the same to you, you've also done incredibly well!
Reply 171
Thank you, and the same to you, you've also done incredibly well!

Thank you, just curious but you can apply to both Newcastle and durham? i thought it was only apply to one. :redface:
Reply 172
Offer from Manchester!!! :biggrin:

Waiting on St.Andrews now - seems Leeds are rejecting me.

My friend holds offers from Manchester and Newcastle. She prefers PBL as an enjoyable way of learning but is worrying she won't be as knowledgeable as a Newcastle student. However, she is very driven anyway and does most of her work in A2 out of lessons - what would you guys advise for her? :smile:
Original post by apple17
Thank you, just curious but you can apply to both Newcastle and durham? i thought it was only apply to one. :redface:

Yep - usually most apply to Newcastle but choose "other" as the campus, and therefore they get randomly allocated to either N (Newcastle) or D (Durham), or indeed choose one specifically. But you can, as I did, choose both - although in essence, you are choosing "Newcastle University" twice (one for each campus)
Reply 174
Yep - usually most apply to Newcastle but choose "other" as the campus, and therefore they get randomly allocated to either N (Newcastle) or D (Durham), or indeed choose one specifically. But you can, as I did, choose both - although in essence, you are choosing "Newcastle University" twice (one for each campus)

Ohh, I see, that is cool. :biggrin:
Good luck! Is it conditional on exams/anything. :smile:
Reply 175
Original post by Mero8
Offer from Manchester!!! :biggrin:

Waiting on St.Andrews now - seems Leeds are rejecting me.

My friend holds offers from Manchester and Newcastle. She prefers PBL as an enjoyable way of learning but is worrying she won't be as knowledgeable as a Newcastle student. However, she is very driven anyway and does most of her work in A2 out of lessons - what would you guys advise for her? :smile:

First of all, congrats. :biggrin:

If she thinks group learning sessions and being able to fill in the gaps and can learn independently, then i would recommend it but remember medicine is prob harder than A2( taking to a few medics and the transition can be difficult), so it may be easy to self-learn now but harder in med school but good luck to you both. :smile:

The only problem may be in the learning style but at the end of the day, all schools are GMC certified so you will graduate with the same amount of knowledge. afaik, PBL vs LBL are still required to teach the compulsory parts of the syllabi by GMC.
(edited 12 years ago)
Is anybody else just waiting for september/october to start? - getting quite excited now :biggrin:
Reply 177
Original post by fallenangel
Is anybody else just waiting for september/october to start? - getting quite excited now :biggrin:

Well, atm, I am more frightened about the IB but I am sure after July 6th( result day), if I get the grade, I will be excited beyond belief. :biggrin:
Original post by apple17
Ohh, I see, that is cool. :biggrin:
Good luck! Is it conditional on exams/anything. :smile:

Unfortunately yes, only 6 distinctions on the access to medicine course I'm doing! Should be OK though.
Reply 179
Unfortunately yes, only 6 distinctions on the access to medicine course I'm doing! Should be OK though.

What mark do you need for a distinction, don't really have access courses here (canadian) but I am sure you will do well. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending