The Student Room Group

Higher Business Management Issue.

I am doing this course this year , and i am having some slight issues despite getting striaght ones in SG.

I reccently got the result of my Unit 1 Business enterprise NAB back and , i feel quite dissapointed actually with the result(65%) beacause i revised a lot for it . My teacher and my paper told me that my knowledge of command words were the problem. I know "what" the command words means but i don't think i know "how" to use them in a question, (if that makes any sense)

So can someone tell me what is the difference between Describe,Explian and Justify? And maybe give an example

I am worried because the NABS are meant to be at C level ,and i am only achieving mediocre marks.
Reply 1
Original post by animelover123
I am doing this course this year , and i am having some slight issues despite getting striaght ones in SG.

I reccently got the result of my Unit 1 Business enterprise NAB back and , i feel quite dissapointed actually with the result(65%) beacause i revised a lot for it . My teacher and my paper told me that my knowledge of command words were the problem. I know "what" the command words means but i don't think i know "how" to use them in a question, (if that makes any sense)

So can someone tell me what is the difference between Describe,Explian and Justify? And maybe give an example

I am worried because the NABS are meant to be at C level ,and i am only achieving mediocre marks.

Try looking at this site. It explains what to do for the different words.
http://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/markers_ccc/mark_main.jsp?pContentID=7498&p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&
Reply 2

I was looking for someone to show me how the diffrent command words can affect an answer.

The site you gave me is good, but i can't seem to acccess all the information on it, is is the same for you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I was looking for someone to show me how the diffrent command words can affect an answer.

The site you gave me is good, but i can't seem to acccess all the information on it, is is the same for you?

Yeah, sorry. I can't see the examples on that site either.
You should still be able to see the command words though and those tell you how to answer the question.

For example, the site says that for an explain question you have to say why it happens.
Taking a question from the 2011 Past Paper:
Explain the effects of delayering on an Organisation (worth 4 marks)

For one point you state one effect of delayering and then explain why it happens.
As an example, you could say:
One effect of delayering would be that it would save the organisation money (This is you stating an effect), because delayering means removing certain levels of management so through delayering the organisation would have less managers to pay which saves the organisation money as the cost of salaries will decrease. (That is you explaining why that effect happens)

For another point:
Another effect of delayering is improved communication and being more responsive to the market(Stating the effect). This happens because delayering means fewer levels of management for information to be passed through, so information can travel more quickly around the business allowing the business to react more quickly than if information took longer to circulate.(Explaining why the effect happens).

If you've not actually covered delayering yet then just look at this quickly, its really simple: http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&gbv=2&q=delayering&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=0zrJTr62OMLN8QPXkbxx&ved=0CB0QkQ4&biw=1886&bih=914
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by legion99
Yeah, sorry. I can't see the examples on that site either.
You should still be able to see the command words though and those tell you how to answer the question.

For example, the site says that for an explain question you have to say why it happens.
Taking a question from the 2011 Past Paper:
Explain the effects of delayering on an Organisation (worth 4 marks)

For one point you state one effect of delayering and then explain why it happens.
As an example, you could say:
One effect of delayering would be that it would save the organisation money (This is you stating an effect), because delayering means removing certain levels of management so through delayering the organisation would have less managers to pay which saves the organisation money as the cost of salaries will decrease. (That is you explaining why that effect happens)

For another point:
Another effect of delayering is improved communication and being more responsive to the market(Stating the effect). This happens because delayering means fewer levels of management for information to be passed through, so information can travel more quickly around the business allowing the business to react more quickly than if information took longer to circulate.(Explaining why the effect happens).

If you've not actually covered delayering yet then just look at this quickly, its really simple: http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&gbv=2&q=delayering&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=0zrJTr62OMLN8QPXkbxx&ved=0CB0QkQ4&biw=1886&bih=914

Sorry for nagging , but what would happen if that question changed to Describe or Justify?
Reply 5
Sorry for nagging , but what would happen if that question changed to Describe or Justify?

For describe, you pretty much just say what it is. So for this question you might say that delayering is the process where certain layers of management are removed from the structure of the organisation.
If the question was worth more than one or two marks I would also go on to give a few advantages/disadvantages such as the decrease in costs but increased workload and stress. (You probably wouldn't need to explain these as it's not an explain question).

If it was justify, you would give all the good points about it. Imagine it like you're trying to convince someone to do it. So if you were trying to justify delayering you could say good points such as the improved communication, decrease in cost of salaries and empowerment of staff. (Again you probably wouldn't need to explain these but you might want to check this with your teacher as its been more than 6 months since I've even looked at Business Management).
Reply 6
Original post by legion99
For describe, you pretty much just say what it is. So for this question you might say that delayering is the process where certain layers of management are removed from the structure of the organisation.
If the question was worth more than one or two marks I would also go on to give a few advantages/disadvantages such as the decrease in costs but increased workload and stress. (You probably wouldn't need to explain these as it's not an explain question).

If it was justify, you would give all the good points about it. Imagine it like you're trying to convince someone to do it. So if you were trying to justify delayering you could say good points such as the improved communication, decrease in cost of salaries and empowerment of staff. (Again you probably wouldn't need to explain these but you might want to check this with your teacher as its been more than 6 months since I've even looked at Business Management).

Thank You, but i am still not very sure.Its teh Describe and Explain ones i get mixed up.
Reply 7
Can anyone else help on this.....?
Reply 8
Can anyone else help on this.....?

With describe, you need to provide a thorough description. For example, "Describe the ways in which shareholders influence organisations (3 marks)".. you need to provide a description of 3 ways shareholders influence. It's basically 'Identify..' but with more detail required. For explain, you need to give a detailed response as to how or why something is an advantage/disadvantage. You need to give a definition of whatever is being asked AND an explanation of why that particular thing is an adv/disadv.
Reply 9
Original post by Ecosse_14
With describe, you need to provide a thorough description. For example, "Describe the ways in which shareholders influence organisations (3 marks)".. you need to provide a description of 3 ways shareholders influence. It's basically 'Identify..' but with more detail required. For explain, you need to give a detailed response as to how or why something is an advantage/disadvantage. You need to give a definition of whatever is being asked AND an explanation of why that particular thing is an adv/disadv.

Would it be the same for justification? Justify why a particular thing is an adv/disad?
Would it be the same for justification? Justify why a particular thing is an adv/disad?

Okay, take the example that an advantage of X is it results in decreased expenditure. If you were explaining it, you would have to explain HOW X results in decreased expenditure. If you were justifying it, you would be giving reasons of how decreased expenditure is a good thing. Make sense?
Original post by Ecosse_14
Okay, take the example that an advantage of X is it results in decreased expenditure. If you were explaining it, you would have to explain HOW X results in decreased expenditure. If you were justifying it, you would be giving reasons of how decreased expenditure is a good thing. Make sense?

Yes, I think i get it now. I think its because i did Standrad Grade, and there wasn't a heavy emphasis on Command Words, so i am kind of starting from scratch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending