The Student Room Group

Ask About X Course in Here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
By prelim time I had a novel and a play, 2 texts. By exam time I had 3 - the same novel and play, and a poem.

Which is why i am worried, I have only got a pplay and a short story. So say i got back after the prelims, i do a poem, i donlt feel its enough.
I would appreciate some help with Higher Geography and History.

History:

How to achieve better analysis marks in essays? My essays are always good for knowledge but are sitting at a B for analysis and I cant seem to push it further.

Geography:
Is there any good ways to revise all the key points in each topic? Lay it out,or mind maps...? And how to write fast enough in the exams,sorry for the difficult question but when I've done timed past papers recently,I've nearly always panicked about the time and forgotten things in said panic.

Very Grateful :biggrin:
Original post by OddThings
Geography:
Is there any good ways to revise all the key points in each topic? Lay it out,or mind maps...? And how to write fast enough in the exams,sorry for the difficult question but when I've done timed past papers recently,I've nearly always panicked about the time and forgotten things in said panic.

Everyone learns differently, but I tended to revise by writing out a final, full mark answer that I then read/wrote numerous times. Start simple with key words to summarise which should make you remember the rest. For example, stalactites/mites formation would look something like this:
-white scar cave
-floor mites, ceiling tites
-caverns underground rich in lime
-H2O percolates joints in bedding planes
-lime water drips = evaporation = redeposited lime = stalactites
-water drips to floor = mites
-pillar
Also, diagrams/sketches with annotations can be good revision aids.

Timing is a hard one for higher geography, and think the best thing is too actually know your stuff so less time is wasted with trying to think of key things which would otherwise be obvious. I found timing helped me a lot, for example in paper two I'd allow 30 mins to answer each question, and would move onto the next one if I didn't finish within that - this allowed 15 mins at the end to go back over and add anything else or just check through.
(edited 12 years ago)

History:

How to achieve better analysis marks in essays? My essays are always good for knowledge but are sitting at a B for analysis and I cant seem to push it further.

Geography:

Hey, I'm looking for help with Geography as well as I'm also doing it but I think I can help with you:

I basically have been looking through past papers/class notes and picking out the most imporant sections in each topic. For example in Population: Demographic Transition Model, Population Pyramids, Migration, Demogrfast just make sure you learn everything perfectly and then practice writing fast.

Could you help me with this: http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2008/H_Geography_all_2008.pdf

Question c) on Rural Land Resources mentions conservation strategies and I have no idea what they are? What are examples of other ones? I understand why National Parks help conserve beautiful scenery etc. and could comfortably answer it but I'm just wondering what that is?

(assuming your doing Rural Land Resources, which you mightn't be :smile:)
Original post by rosie9391
Everyone learns differently, but I tended to revise by writing out a final, full mark answer that I then read/wrote numerous times. Start simple with key words to summarise which should make you remember the rest. For example, stalactites/mites formation would look something like this:
-white scar cave
-floor mites, ceiling tites
-caverns underground rich in lime
-H20 percolates joints in bedding planes
-lime water drips = evaporation = redeposited lime = stalactites
-water drips to floor = mites
-pillar
Also, diagrams/sketches with annotations can be good revision aids.

Timing is a hard one for higher geography, and think the best thing is too actually know your stuff so less time is wasted with trying to think of key things which would otherwise be obvious. I found timing helped me a lot, for example in paper two I'd allow 30 mins to answer each question, and would move onto the next one if I didn't finish within that - this allowed 15 mins at the end to go back over and add anything else or just check through.

Quoted to see if you can help with my question above. :smile:
Original post by JaggySnake95
Question c) on Rural Land Resources mentions conservation strategies and I have no idea what they are?

They tend to be management plans or measures that have certain standards and guidlines to protect, rehabilitate, enhance or restore habitats/environments/ecosystems/species. With a lot coming down to resource management, for current and future needs.

What are examples of other ones?

The diagram gives examples: SSSIs, ESAs, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. But other ones would be EU fishing quotas, SPAs, SACs, MNRs etc.

I understand why National Parks help conserve beautiful scenery etc. and could comfortably answer it but I'm just wondering what that is?

Not quite getting what you mean here?
They tend to be management plans or measures that have certain standards and guidlines to protect, rehabilitate, enhance or restore habitats/environments/ecosystems/species. With a lot coming down to resource management, for current and future needs.

The diagram gives examples: SSSIs, ESAs, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. But other ones would be EU fishing quotas, SPAs, SACs, MNRs etc.

Not quite getting what you mean here?

Ahh, I get you. What about the question above? Does that require any knowledge our is it just interpreting the diagram?
Ahh, I get you. What about the question above? Does that require any knowledge our is it just interpreting the diagram?

Well, you'll need to explain why said conservation strategy helps protect the landscape which will require some knowledge, and the diagram is no help with this. :p: It's not a bad question, and one of the more out of the box thinking ones.
(edited 12 years ago)
I can do...

AH: French, Music
H: French, Music, English, Geography
Int 2.: Music
SG: Geography

I've completely forgotten most of my SG knowledge for my other subjects and I think I got an A in H Maths by fluke, I can't remember any of it...:tongue:

History:

Geography:

History
Something that really helped me with analysis marks was using historiography.
If you can make a point using historiography then it is much easier to make a counterpoint. When your revising, I suggest that you break your topic down into subtopics and then plot augmentative stances from that point.

For example - Reasons behind the Liberal Reforms
Old Age Pensions

Threat of Labour Party - They had won two by-elections by this point

Genuine concen for the poor - This was the first time that "New Liberals" had real power in the party

Now that you have these two augmentative stances, seek out poof from specific sources for each point. You can then play them off each other and this shows your ability to analyse not only the information about the topic but also the beliefs of historians. This will definitely push you up into the A bracket. I found it easy to find sources to do this with both The Welfare State and The Liberal Reforms. However I found it harder to find specific sources for German Nationalism and The growth of democracy but they are out their and markers will be more impressed when you do it with these harder topics. I suggest looking at your textbooks and understanding the viewpoint of the historian in that context as you can use that as evidence in the final exam.
Reply 30
Brilliant idea and I will almost definitely come back here and ask questions when I need to

I can help with Standard Grades:
English, Maths, French, Spanish and Business Mgt
And Int 2:
Art & Design, RMPS, Chemistry

Currently doing higher English, Maths, Business Mgt, French and Spanish but still trying to get my head around them myself so probably shouldn't opt to be asked about them
I can answer about :
Standard grade french, maths , english, accounting and finance, modern studies and physics
Int 2 business management

And im doing higher english, maths, french, music and business management the now so i could help :smile:
Is there anyone here that can help me with some economics?
Original post by Yorkshire_Don
Is there anyone here that can help me with some economics?

Mr Dangermouse

Gowan, be a charitable fellow. :wink:
Reply 34
I'd be willing to help out with:

Higher French, History and Human Biology and Standard Grade French, Biology, History and Modern Studies.

I've got plenty of other subjects too, but these are the ones I've always done particularly well in so I'd be happy and probably best placed to help in them :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I can help with Advanced Higher Biology or English if you like :smile:
Higher: Music, Biology, English, History (I have also done Chemistry, Maths and doing Physics, but I don't like them so much :P and I'm crashing Physics anyway).
Standard Grades: English, Biology, Music, German, Computing Studies (these are the subjects I can remember most about..) :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by christielovesyou
I can do...

AH: French, Music
H: French, Music, English, Geography
Int 2.: Music
SG: Geography

I've completely forgotten most of my SG knowledge for my other subjects and I think I got an A in H Maths by fluke, I can't remember any of it...:tongue:

Hey, can you gelp with Geography?

We are doing Hydrosphere and I don't understand a part of the Water Cycle. Water can enter soil through Infiltrating it and move downwards as throughflow. And then percolation can occur and it can move further down through permeable rock to form a groundwater zone, right?

Then what happens to the water? How does it make it's way back into the system? I don't understand this part of the system.

EDIT: I just read some of my notes further and I gathered that it can be through Transpiration and it can also each any area of impermable rock and then move along the top of this rock eventually reaching a lake etc. a bit like resurgence streams in Lithosphere? Is that it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hola:smile:

I can do:

Advanced Higher: English, Spanish and History
Higher: English, Spanish, History, French and Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies
Standard Grade: English, Spanish, History, French and Modern Studies
Intermediate 2 / 1: English, Spanish and French

:fluffy:
Well, you'll need to explain why said conservation strategy helps protect the landscape which will require some knowledge, and the diagram is no help with this. :p: It's not a bad question, and one of the more out of the box thinking ones.

Hey, can you gelp with Geography?

We are doing Hydrosphere and I don't understand a part of the Water Cycle. Water can enter soil through Infiltrating it and move downwards as throughflow. And then percolation can occur and it can move further down through permeable rock to form a groundwater zone, right?

Then what happens to the water? How does it make it's way back into the system? I don't understand this part of the system.

EDIT: I just read some of my notes further and I gathered that it can be through Transpiration and it can also each any area of impermable rock and then move along the top of this rock eventually reaching a lake etc. a bit like resurgence streams in Lithosphere? Is that it?

I think so, that definitely rings a bell for me. Sorry I can't give you much more help - the water cycle was the one bit I had real issues with myself, and luckily that was one of the optional questions in the exam. Obviously I chose to do the alternative lithosphere question instead :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending