The Student Room Group

Ask About X Course in Here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by christielovesyou
I think so, that definitely rings a bell for me. Sorry I can't give you much more help - the water cycle was the one bit I had real issues with myself, and luckily that was one of the optional questions in the exam. Obviously I chose to do the alternative lithosphere question instead :tongue:

It would certainly make sense. We hand in a past paper question on Friday for marking so if it's wrong I'm sure she'll mark it wrong. :smile: Thanks.
Sorry, I misread your question the other day! But yeah, you've pretty much got it.

Original post by JaggySnake95
Water can enter soil through Infiltrating it and move downwards as throughflow. And then percolation can occur and it can move further down through permeable rock to form a groundwater zone, right?

Yep, that's right!

How does it make it's way back into the system? I don't understand this part of the system.

You get that it's a closed system so never really leaves, yeah?

EDIT: I just read some of my notes further and I gathered that it can be through Transpiration and it can also each any area of impermable rock and then move along the top of this rock eventually reaching a lake etc. a bit like resurgence streams in Lithosphere? Is that it?

In the ground, water is stil moving but perhaps much slower and tends to get stored. The water comes from precipitation that infiltrates down from the surface. You can think of the soil as having two layers; unsaturated and saturated, with the saturated one being below the water table (a boundary between the two) and the water in this zone is what you would call ground water. If rocks/soil etc. are permeable and porous enough in the subsurface, water moves more freely through them. There's also aquifers down in these saturated zones, and are water-bearing permeable rocks - these store a resonable quantity of water which can take thousands of years to re-emerge, so often water is extracted by humans.

So, getting back to your main question, where the water goes from here: Once in the ground, some water travels close to the land surface and can emerge very quickly as discharge into streams, but due to gravity, most sinks down. When it meets the water table, it can flow vertically and horizontally. It can also meet more dense, non-porous rock and soil which cause it to flow more horizontal towards streams, oceans, or will eventually go deeper into the ground. Discharge areas also occur where ground water leaves aquifers and flow to the surface, e.g., when the water table intersects with the land surface (bottom of a river valley). This is also where springs are found, the aquifer is too full and allows water to flow back to the surface and ino the rivers/lakes.

Then you of course have other surface in/outputs, transfers etc. ocean storage, evaporation, Evapotranspiration, condensation, ice and snow storage, precipitation, snowmelt and surface runoff, stream flow/fresh water storage.
Wasn't going to post here but thought may aswell, why not.

I'll help with Higher: Admin, Accounts, Business, Modern Studies, Music. Did others but doubt I'd be much help now.
SG: Same as above.

Provided loads of help with business and mods previously on TSR :smile:
Original post by rosie9391

Thanks, I have my og an understanding of that now. Bad news is prelims are for Geography are a week today and we have started Hydrosphere and Biosphere and rushed through the start of the topics to prepare some more questions for the prelims. They are on Drainage Basins/Storm (or flood) Hydrography in Hydrosphere and some questions on Biosphere.

I understand that a drainage basin is basically a network of rivers that connect and eventually form one larger river that ends up at a sea/ocean. However I'm not sure whether I understand Storm/Flood Hydographs, so I have a few questions:

1. Are they basically measuring the discharge (speed of the river) after spells of heavy rain? http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/education/int/geog/rivers/hydrographs/index.shtml That shows a diagram. The top line is the speed of the actual river, throughflow is the speed of water under the ground in the soil and the base flow is the normal speed of the river, right? The Y-Axis shows the exact speeds, while the X-Axis shows at what times after the storm the speed was? The Peak Flow is the highest speed of the river, and the lag time shows the amount of hours or days there was between the heaviest rainfall and the peak flow? Is this all correct?

2. Although I don't understand the relaationship between the X-Axis and the rainfall. Can you explain it please?

3. Am I right in saying that in an exam you are tested on this by being given a graph and you just have to talk about and the features (soil type, rock type, huan activity, precipation etc.) that will have caused this type of graph?

4. How specific is a graph referring to? Does it refer to say the lower, middle and upper courses of the river or does it refer to small stretches of the river, maybe 50 or 100m for example?

As for Biosphere:

1. Are you expected to draw a soil profile and then discuss it with referene to soil formation? And another question could be discuss the factors affecting soil formation etc. ?

Lithosphere:

1. What's the difference between Solution and Carbonation?
1. Are they basically measuring the discharge (speed of the river) after spells of heavy rain?

Discharge isn't river speed, you're thinking velocity. Discharge comes down to volume flow.

2. Although I don't understand the relaationship between the X-Axis and the rainfall. Can you explain it please?

So the x-axis is hours from start of the storm, so it's the time since the rain started so for example, peak flow occured 30 hours from when it started, and indicates that at this time, river discharge was at its maximum.

3. Am I right in saying that in an exam you are tested on this by being given a graph and you just have to talk about and the features (soil type, rock type, huan activity, precipation etc.) that will have caused this type of graph?

Yeah, they tend to be descibe and explain questions e.g. Describe and explain the changing river levels on the River Thaw (2011), or explain the differences in discharge between the urban and rural hydrographs shown in the diagram following a heavy rain storm (2008). Have a look at the past papers for yourself if you haven't already done so. :smile:

4. How specific is a graph referring to? Does it refer to say the lower, middle and upper courses of the river or does it refer to small stretches of the river, maybe 50 or 100m for example?

It varies, and you don't really know unless it says. The 2011 question states: Flood Hydrograph for the River Thaw at Cowbridge. Or your could be given a diagram so you have an idea of where the guaging stations are, I can remember being given this to do in class.

As for Biosphere:
1. Are you expected to draw a soil profile and then discuss it with referene to soil formation? And another question could be discuss the factors affecting soil formation etc. ?

Oh soils, I have a keen disliking for you! But yep, their main characteristics basicaly.

Lithosphere:1. What's the difference between Solution and Carbonation?

Em, there's a couple definitions over this, but school tended to stick with: Solution is a type of weathering, and occurs if slightly acidic water dissolves rocks, and is very common in limestone regions, where Carbonation is just a process of this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Discharge isn't river speed, you're thinking velocity. Discharge comes down to volume flow.

So the x-axis is hours from start of the storm, so it's the time since the rain started so for example, peak flow occured 30 hours from when it started, and indicates that at this time, river discharge was at its maximum.

Yeah, they tend to be descibe and explain questions e.g. Describe and explain the changing river levels on the River Thaw (2011), or explain the differences in discharge between the urban and rural hydrographs shown in the diagram following a heavy rain storm (2008). Have a look at the past papers for yourself if you haven't already done so. :smile:

It varies, and you don't really know unless it says. The 2011 question states: Flood Hydrograph for the River Thaw at Cowbridge. Or your could be given a diagram so you have an idea of where the guaging stations are, I can remember being given this to do in class.

Oh soils, I have a keen disliking for you! But yep, their main characteristics basicaly.

Em, there's a couple definitions over this, but school tended to stick with: Solution is a type of weathering, and occurs if slightly acidic water dissolves rocks, and is very common in limestone regions, where Carbonation is just a process of this.

So solution is a broader term and carbonation is a subterm for solution?

Carbonation is basically when rainwater (a weak carbonic acid) dissolves the calcium carbonate in the limestone to weather down the limestone, right?

Then the definition goes on to say ''it is carried away by solution in running water.'' Does that mean carbonation is the process of it beign worn away but solution is it being transported? Surely that would nullify the definition that solution is a broader term..
So solution is a broader term and carbonation is a subterm for solution?

Carbonation is basically when rainwater (a weak carbonic acid) dissolves the calcium carbonate in the limestone to weather down the limestone, right?

Then the definition goes on to say ''it is carried away by solution in running water.'' Does that mean carbonation is the process of it beign worn away but solution is it being transported? Surely that would nullify the definition that solution is a broader term..

Ah, okay I thought you were just meaning weathering. Yeah, there's different meanings for solution, and with your definition, it's a type of transport. So with respect to water, it's basically when rock materials get dissolved, adding to the rivers load and transported.
Ah, okay I thought you were just meaning weathering. Yeah, there's different meanings for solution, and with your definition, it's a type of transport. So with respect to water, it's basically when rock materials get dissolved, adding to the rivers load and transported.

Ahh sorry. I was so confused I didn't know whether I was talking about weathering or not, but thanks. :smile:

Whats the difference between 2011 and 2010 Biosphere questions? Can they be asnwered exactly the same?

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2011/H_Geography_all_2011.pdf

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2010/H_Geography_all_2010.pdf

Then there is my issue with Hydrographs. I understand most of the graph and the factors affecting storm/flood hydrograph. But I'm not sure what exactly the X-Axis is showing. Some places say it is hours after the start of the storm and they have the rain at the beginning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/education/int/geog/rivers/hydrographs/index.shtml

And there's ones like the Hydrosphere question in 2011 where the rain is in the middle of the graph, yet the graph still rises before the rain starts. I thought the X-Axis showed the start of the storm, why isn't there rain from the start?: http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2011/H_Geography_all_2011.pdf

Or are Flood and Storm Hydrographs different and we have to know about both?

And finally, the 2011 Hydrosphere question asks describe and explain the changing water levels. Marking Scheme talks about infiltration rates and saturation: http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/instructions/2011/mi_H_Geography_Paper-1_2011.pdf

It would have aceptable to suggest other factors, maybe saying because of the spread out rainfall there was a longer lag time or suggesting the river was on flat land so the water had longer to infiltrate and less runoff water?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
I can help with Standard Grade English, Maths, Music, History, Modern Studies, Biology, French, and Accounting & Finance. :smile:
Reply 50
I can help with Standard Grade Maths, English, French, Drama, Modern Studies, History and Computing (also did chemistry but I sucked at it and fluked a 2 in the final)

This year I'm sitting Higher English, French, Computing and Drama which I'm also happy to help with :smile: but I am horrific at Higher maths ahaha so I wouldn't be much use :smile:

ANYONE WHO HAS PASSED HIGHER MATHS: How do you get everything to sink in? Like I know how to differentiate, integrate, etc but in questions I never know what to do unless it says "differentiate this" etc D:
Original post by IAmCookie
ANYONE WHO HAS PASSED HIGHER MATHS: How do you get everything to sink in? Like I know how to differentiate, integrate, etc but in questions I never know what to do unless it says "differentiate this" etc D:

There's no magic here, it's just experience. Try questions, and ask a teacher or make a thread here for help once you've done as much as you can do.
Original post by IAmCookie

Can you think of any specific examples of things you struggle with?

It really is just practice, I firmly believe that everyone who passed SG Maths has the ability to pass Higher Maths. Everything works on a step-by-step basis, if you know what the end product you want to get is, then you should be able to figure out how to get there just by thinking about what it was.

One of my favourite things at Higher was stationary points and curve sketching questions. I felt like they were a truck-load of marks for something that is very easy and the same every time (same with shaded area under curve stuff). If you gave me a function, and asked me to graph it. I'd think in my head. "Okay, so what're the important things about graphs that I'd have to draw?" and imagine a random graph in my head and tick off stuff and say "Stationary points, shape, roots, y-intercept, limits" those are all the main features in a sketched graph you'd have to get - because those are the important bits.

Once you know what your end-product wants to be, if you just know how you can get each of those things; it's real easy. :tongue:
Reply 53
What's Advanced Higher Maths like?
has it got the same amount of content as Higher or is there lots more?
What sort of skills do you need to have to do well in it?
I'm anticipating taking it next year, and I'm just wondering what exactly to expect :smile:
Original post by rawragee
I'm anticipating taking it next year, and I'm just wondering what exactly to expect :smile:

This is actually a surprisingly difficult question to answer, at least in my opinion. Perhaps because I'm still doing Advanced Higher and don't have the gift of hindsight.

For me, AH Maths has been enjoyable. As you would expect, they take your knowledge of mathematics further - and what I enjoy most - deepens your understanding. I think the most important thing for Maths isn't to just know the content; it's difficult to get away with seeing something, and knowing you follow step x, y and z to get to the answer. It's actually understanding the content. Sure, you can remember all the steps, and sure you might not be able to understand some of the steps - but developing an understanding of the framework of it all is an important aspect, imo.

In terms of content, when compared to H Maths, AH has a lot more. It introduces you to a lot of new concepts, compared to H. Maths where I found the only things that were new to me was the calculus and vectors.

I think everyone has the capacity to do well in maths. The only tools you need in my opinion is logical & rational thought, and memory. You're given a problem, you know what you want the end result to be, you're going to have to logically tackle it to figure out how to get to the end product and have the memory to remember some formulae, rules and identities.
Reply 55
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Can you think of any specific examples of things you struggle with?

It really is just practice, I firmly believe that everyone who passed SG Maths has the ability to pass Higher Maths. Everything works on a step-by-step basis, if you know what the end product you want to get is, then you should be able to figure out how to get there just by thinking about what it was.

One of my favourite things at Higher was stationary points and curve sketching questions. I felt like they were a truck-load of marks for something that is very easy and the same every time (same with shaded area under curve stuff). If you gave me a function, and asked me to graph it. I'd think in my head. "Okay, so what're the important things about graphs that I'd have to draw?" and imagine a random graph in my head and tick off stuff and say "Stationary points, shape, roots, y-intercept, limits" those are all the main features in a sketched graph you'd have to get - because those are the important bits.

Once you know what your end-product wants to be, if you just know how you can get each of those things; it's real easy. :tongue:

It's generally all problem solving type questions D: I can do it when I have the method in front of me but no matter how much I study, I can never work out when to differentiate or sub something in or factorise :/ I can do these things but I just never know when to.

I like your idea of thinking of the end product :smile: after study leave I'll definitely try that! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 56
I can help out with;

Standard Grade
Art, Maths, English, Craft and Design, French, Chemistry, Physics and Modern Studies

Higher
English, Maths, Art, French and Modern Studies. Although I don't think I'd be much help with Mods...

Question about Higher Mods - how do you guys revise for Paper 1 (essays)?
(edited 12 years ago)
I can answer any questions on :
AH Maths, Stats, Physics, H Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics and English :smile:
Original post by rawragee

I would say there is a lot more content at AH than at Higher. There's a lot more to remember, mainly because you don't a formula sheet but there's quadruple the amount of formula/identities/etc. to remember. If your good at maths and don't find higher that hard you'll be okay with most parts of AH maths. You can kinda split AH Maths into Algebra and Calculus. The calculus part is mostly building on stuff you learnt at higher. It can get kinda tricky so it's best if you have a good grounding from higher. Most of the algebra stuff is completely new and will be building on some of the maths you might have come across at Standard Grade and before. The only bit that I can think of that builds on higher is vectors. There's a whole big topic of vectors.

Yeah, there's quite a bit to take in but it's definitely do-able. I'm a bit biased cause I love maths but I've found it very enjoyable at Advanced Higher.
What is Int 2 Buisness Management like in general? How much is the work load? Is it easy to do if you haven't done it as a Standard Grade? What is the exams/prelims like?

Has anyone done higher psychology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending