The Student Room Group

Ask About X Course in Here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lapples
Higher English is like Int2 English, except you have to write 2 essays in the final exam instead of just one :smile: the analysis you learn is a bit more in depth as well.

Reply 81
Original post by TheFOMaster

Ooops, my bad :colondollar:
That's what I get for only listening to half of a conversation my friends are having :tongue:
How's the AH Chem and Biology compared to the Highers? Is Biology the same old memorise stuff? And please tell me theres less plants >.> What about Chemistry, is there less physics (like Unit 3 was) and more Organic chemistry?

And H English and Physics. Is Higher about the same as Int.2 just with maybe a little more work (English) and is Physics pretty easy to pass without understanding "Physics" at all, but being good at Maths? (Did That at S-Grade xD)

If anyone wants any Advice on Higher Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Computing just quote me :smile:

I can give you some information, based on my experience.

I found there is loads of stuff to remember in AH Biology but nothing strikes me as particularly difficult. However, I found that the actual exam layout is very different from Higher. There is a lot more problem solving/data handling questions and quite a few more vague questions that require you to write a lot (for 5 or 6 marks). I did Human Biology in 5th year so I was very disappointed when we had to learn all about plants, soil, grazing etc. as that doesn't really interest me.

As for Chemistry, Unit 3 is all about Organic Chemistry whereas Unit 1 is significantly more Physics-y (:tongue:) than any Chemistry I have ever done. A few people in my class who hadn't done SG Physics struggled with this unit.

I can't comment on the others but I hope this gives you an insight into what the sciences are like.
Also I'm happy to give my opinions on Higher English, Maths, Music, Spanish and Psychology if anybody wants to ask about them.
Next year i plan to do for sure:

H Modern Studies
H English
H Accoutning.

I also want to do Business Management and Admin but as of yet I'm still undecided on what level to do Higher or Int 2.

What would you guys recomend, Ive already done Accounting at Int 2 leval and Computing at higher which i suppose are sort of related.

I'm going into sixth year btw.
Original post by CocaineSquirrel
I can give you some information, based on my experience.

I found there is loads of stuff to remember in AH Biology but nothing strikes me as particularly difficult. However, I found that the actual exam layout is very different from Higher. There is a lot more problem solving/data handling questions and quite a few more vague questions that require you to write a lot (for 5 or 6 marks). I did Human Biology in 5th year so I was very disappointed when we had to learn all about plants, soil, grazing etc. as that doesn't really interest me.

As for Chemistry, Unit 3 is all about Organic Chemistry whereas Unit 1 is significantly more Physics-y (:tongue:) than any Chemistry I have ever done. A few people in my class who hadn't done SG Physics struggled with this unit.

I can't comment on the others but I hope this gives you an insight into what the sciences are like.

Yeah I never got the choice between Human Biology and Biology so I'm used to plants :P they have to be the most uninteresting things ever though (Except for Physics' circuits >.> )

I think I'd hate Unit 1 then :P But Unit 3 sounds like my thing :smile:
Doing AH Maths, Physics and Chemistry next year. Any reviews/opinions of the courses?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah I never got the choice between Human Biology and Biology so I'm used to plants :P they have to be the most uninteresting things ever though (Except for Physics' circuits >.> )

I think I'd hate Unit 1 then :P But Unit 3 sounds like my thing :smile:

Electricity section in Physics is definitely mind-numbingly boring, but the unit 1 of AH Chemistry is actually interesting. It goes through a lot of the stuff in unit 3 Higher physics in more detail, then you have mentions of phenomena giving rise to colour, spectral lines and electronic structure. The fun type of physics. As for not doing SG Physics and struggling with unit 1, I was crashing Higher Physics the same year I did AH Chemistry, and unit 1 was easily my best unit.

Agreed with the sentiment the other poster gave, there is a lot of stuff to remember, and a lot of information to digest in the 'problem solving' type questions. You'll get a good few paragraphs of information and tons of graphs and tables for the one question.

Although the information in AH Biology LOOKS like an overwhelming amount, you can actually summarise it and link it all together in a fashion such that you can express a lot of information in a comparatively short summation that is easy to remember.

I'd also say there's less plants, but more ecology. So you do a lot more about other aspects of environmental science, just not specifically planty stuff. Although there's still plenty of that there.

Original post by Craig Young
Doing AH Maths, Physics and Chemistry next year. Any reviews/opinions of the courses?

Maths - you won't find it too difficult if you keep on top of things. Understand things as you go along, so when it comes to revision time, you'll just have to revise bits of the process you forgot rather than reteach an entire concept :wink:
Plus, if you understand the content, some of the processes become entirely intuitive and there's no need to just 'memorise' them.

Chemistry - you're going to hate unit 3 and feel incredibly cheated after the exam considering how much time you'll spend revising unit 3 and how little they ask on it. :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by ayrshire ace

H Modern Studies
H English
H Accoutning.

I also want to do Business Management and Admin but as of yet I'm still undecided on what level to do Higher or Int 2.

What would you guys recomend, Ive already done Accounting at Int 2 leval and Computing at higher which i suppose are sort of related.

I did Higher Modern Studies this year and I can tell you it was pretty boring and a lot of work has to go into it. The exam is very stressful as the questions are difficult to predict and you have approx 22 minutes per essay (you have to do 4). It's difficult and stressful but it's doable if you have a good grasp of essay writing.

Higher English will be absolute hell if you haven't done Int 2 before as that follows the same structure. Close readings are honestly the most draining thing I have ever done and the essays can be difficult and luck based as well. It was a long, hard year with H English but i managed to get through it. The feeling of an A is worth it at the end :smile:.
Original post by Qxz
I did Higher Modern Studies this year and I can tell you it was pretty boring and a lot of work has to go into it. The exam is very stressful as the questions are difficult to predict and you have approx 22 minutes per essay (you have to do 4). It's difficult and stressful but it's doable if you have a good grasp of essay writing.

Higher English will be absolute hell if you haven't done Int 2 before as that follows the same structure. Close readings are honestly the most draining thing I have ever done and the essays can be difficult and luck based as well. It was a long, hard year with H English but i managed to get through it. The feeling of an A is worth it at the end :smile:.

I dont think Ive explained this too well.

Last year i done

INT 2 Computing
SG Maths
SG English
SG Modern Studies
SG Chemistry
SG French
SG Accounting and Finance
SG P.E

This Year I done:

Higher Computing
Int 2 English
Int 2 Maths
Int 2 Modern Studies
Int 2 Accouting

What I'm basically asking is would it be possible to crash Business Management and Admin both at Higher even though ive never done them before but i have done Higher computing and Int 2 accounting (going on to do Higher) which both have simalarities more so Business Management and Accounting.
Reply 90
I dont think Ive explained this too well.

Last year i done

INT 2 Computing
SG Maths
SG English
SG Modern Studies
SG Chemistry
SG French
SG Accounting and Finance
SG P.E

This Year I done:

Higher Computing
Int 2 English
Int 2 Maths
Int 2 Modern Studies
Int 2 Accouting

What I'm basically asking is would it be possible to crash Business Management and Admin both at Higher even though ive never done them before but i have done Higher computing and Int 2 accounting (going on to do Higher) which both have simalarities more so Business Management and Accounting.

I'd suggest taking Higher Business. It's not really difficult, more just common sense. Not sure about admin, thinking about crashing it next year aswell as my school don't ****ing do Accounting :frown:
How is Higher - Physics, Chemistry and History? In terms of workload, difficulty and how interesting or boring the course is?

Also is Int2 english to higher a big jump? I normally get like 23's and 21's in my essays and like 23+ out of 30 for the close reading.

Any help would be great!
Original post by SneakyDoug
How is Higher - Physics, Chemistry and History? In terms of workload, difficulty and how interesting or boring the course is?

Also is Int2 english to higher a big jump? I normally get like 23's and 21's in my essays and like 23+ out of 30 for the close reading.

Any help would be great!

Physics and Chemistry are both interesting courses with, for the most part, interesting subject matter. However, I found the investigations in both subjects to be somewhat tedious but apart from that they're definitely enjoyable. I found both relatively simple although there are certain aspects that take some getting used to in both courses but I have found Physics and Chemistry (Physics especially) to be the easiest out of the five Highers I have taken this year. Neither are particularly heavy in terms of workload although I found finishing the investigation write up to be a bit rushed and this incurred a lot of the work being done over a short space of time.

As for English, I have never taken Int 2 but Higher is pretty difficult in my opinion. It is definitely the hardest of my courses but I should hopefully be able to scrape an A. That is best case scenario. Be prepared for a lot of work in this course.

Reply 93

Any help would be great!

Ask friends or people that have taken those subjects! It really all depends on if you are willing to put time on things that you dont understand in class and most of all the teacher that teaches that subject!!!. My problem is that i am struggling with Higher physics because my teacher was really bad. Couldnt explain anything and told us the more in depth bit of physics that we didn't need to learn, just made it even more confusing and just gave us a question book and then told us to sit for the whole hour and answer questions about things that she just taught us. Most of the time the questions that she told us had nothing to do what she was talking about and made us learn half of the last topic at home because we ran out of time doing silly experiments! So it really comes down to having a good teacher and if you are willing to work hard. If thats the case then you dont have to worry, you will be able to do any higher.

Any help would be great!

Higher Chemistry is definitely a jump from Standard Grade or Int. 2. Mainly though as you can't just memorise Information at this point, and you actually have to have some sort of understanding and I suppose - Interest in the subject to do well. Workload is typical of a Higher, Difficulty is medium-hard in my opinion and I find it quite interesting :smile:
Reply 95
I do Higher Maths, English, Physics, RMPS and History, and I'd be happy to answer any questions :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by Craig Young

I've done AH maths and physics this year so I think I have some insight. In maths the big jump is the amount you have to remember (all the trig you get in the front of the higher paper plus a load of formulas but quite a few are really quite obscure so learning them is not that important.) Also its important to keep on top of the work as if you really don't understand a topic and forget about it for a month or 2 you will probably just have to learn it from scratch again.

As for physics it will depend on what version of the course your school is running. The old one is easy if your interested in physics but might be a challenge if not. Also note that the amount of people getting an A in the old version is about 35-40% each year but it still has a fairly normal pass rate. The investigation that counts as 20% of your grade is also very important because if its left till the end of course then it becomes very time consuming. Its not difficult but it will take a while to do it correctly and get a good mark. Another point, the revised AH physics looks much more interesting than the current one but also seems that bit harder too.

From what I've heard of people who did AH chemistry is that its in a similar situation to physics except that doing higher physics the year before is a great advantage for the first unit. The investigation is in exactly the same boat and doing 2 at once makes it way more apparent.
Reply 97

H Modern Studies
H English
H Accoutning.

Honestly, having done both courses, I would recommend that you do Higher. The courses are incredibly similar, with only a couple of different things extra at Higher. The only real difference between the two is the level of writing you do, at Higher it is more in depth and detailed and you have an extra different question.
Also, even if you struggle with Higher, dropping down to Int 2 will be just as easy due to the similarity :smile:
Reply 98
Hey, anyone got any advice for Advanced Higher French or Spanish as I'm starting both in a few weeks. Even better, anyone done both? How was it? What were the best/worst bits? Also anyone who did do 2 did you find the workload ok? Did you get confused between the two often? A huge thanks to anyone who replies :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending