The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What is the University of Manchester like?

Basically, as the title suggests, what's it like? Is it big, do you feel lost?

In terms of city, is it cheap? Safe? Easy to get around? good night life? Do you find Salford students in Manchester clubs as well (just curious lol).

Is it easy to get to other major cities, and how about part time work - easy to get? Also, would it be possible to get any significant work experience with any big firms in the city?

Do you integrate with MMU and UoS students much?
Cheers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by srascal8

It's big, but I don't feel lost. Depends on your background I guess.

In terms of city, is it cheap? Safe? Easy to get around? good night life? Do you find Salford students in Manchester clubs as well (just curious lol).
Pretty cheap, depends where you go. I've never felt unsafe. Bus pass makes it so easy to get around. GREAT night life. No idea, I don't go round asking

Is it easy to get to other major cities, and how about part time work - easy to get? Also, would it be possible to get any significant work experience with any big firms in the city?
Trains make things easy. Can get to Leeds for a couple of quid. Not sure about the work questions. The uni has a careers service though.

Not really. There's a lot of piss taking though

Cheers.

There you go
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by fretter778
There you go

Cheers, what's the facilities like?
Cheers, what's the facilities like?

Anything specifically? That's a bit vague.
Reply 4
Original post by fretter778
Anything specifically? That's a bit vague.

Like computers, library and facilities associated with those studying arts subjects
Reply 5
Like computers, library and facilities associated with those studying arts subjects

Library's huge. Apparently the biggest collection of books in England? Something impressive like that. Hundreds of computer/internet stations. Wi-fi. Silent areas. Libraryish :smile:

Original post by _Jazzie
Library's huge. Apparently the biggest collection of books in England? Something impressive like that. Hundreds of computer/internet stations. Wi-fi. Silent areas. Libraryish :smile:

Pretty much this. 3000 computers across all the clusters, loads of laptop stations with a desk and place to plug it in and things. Can't tell you about art subjects because I'm a scientist :tongue:
The place is huge but I don't personally feel lost. I do a lot of exploring around the city centre on my own so I'm pretty confident walking around. If you did ever get lost there are buses going all the time so you could always get back home!

In terms of city, is it cheap?
Yep, pretty normal supermarket prices etc to where I'm from. Hundreds of student deals too!

Safe? Easy to get around?
Very safe. I work my bar job Friday and Saturday night 7pm - 4am and sometimes I am waiting around at the bus stop until 5am. I work in the Printworks behind the Arndale in the city centre and I feel very safe walking about and getting the night bus so late. There's always other students (albeit, some drunk) at that time, but also Stagecoach staff and normal people waiting for the airport bus. Also, you'll always spot a pair of Police Officers on patrol during the daytime and there's lots of Police prescence when there are protests so you're always very safe.

Good night life? Do you find Salford students in Manchester clubs as well (just curious lol).
Yeah, everything you could want! Rnb, indie, cheesey pop and everything else night clubs, bhudda bars, jazz clubs, shisha bars, acoustic nights, gig venues... I don't go out much though as it's not my thing so I wouldn't know about Salford students (I'm sure therr are though!).

Is it easy to get to other major cities, and how about part time work - easy to get?
Super easy if you've got experience, I got my job at Weatherspoons before my Welcome Week had finished!

Also, would it be possible to get any significant work experience with any big firms in the city?
I should think so. UoM has the top careers service int he country (last time I checked) and they've got lots of opportunities for students to get involved in.

Again, I don't really go out. I work with a big mix of MMU, Salford and RNCM students at work though so I've got my links!

Hope that's helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending