The Student Room Group

M&S Graduate Scheme 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Mine was 15 days ago. As I was told 2 weeks at most I rang up and they said they were dealing with a backlog.

Going off the news above I've now also resigned myself to rejection :P I messed up one of the exercises on the day, so wasn't feeling too confident anyway.
i had mine last week and received an email today saying thank you for your patience, we will notify you next week on the outcome of your assessment centre.

Similarly, I messed up one of the tasks on the day so just keeping my fingers crossed that my application and the rest of my performance on the day was good enough.
Reply 42
Original post by danbubbleman
i had mine last week and received an email today saying thank you for your patience, we will notify you next week on the outcome of your assessment centre.

Similarly, I messed up one of the tasks on the day so just keeping my fingers crossed that my application and the rest of my performance on the day was good enough.

Good luck mate.

If I don't get through and don't get on any other grad scheme in the meantime I fully intend to reapply for M&S next time round. The assessment centre really made me realise how good a company they were.
Cheers mate,

Out of interest what scheme did you apply for? and which part did you mess up? I had my interview after lunch and totally forgot what I intended to say!
Reply 44
Original post by danbubbleman
Cheers mate,

Out of interest what scheme did you apply for? and which part did you mess up? I had my interview after lunch and totally forgot what I intended to say!

Retail management.

And it was the report bit. I basically did most of it on the large sheets of paper - rather than writing it essay style - with diagrams etc. I thought this would help with my presentation (Which went really well) but in hindsight they were going to be looking for a seperate essay style report and presentation? A silly mistake tbh, I don't know what happened to my brain in that hour :biggrin:

Imo the group exercise went well, roleplay went well, interview went ok (though I didnt sense much of a connection with the interviewer tbh) and presentation went well.
Reply 45
So you think if we havnt heard by now were screwed?
Reply 46
Original post by Idrink2muchcoffee
Yup I think it's safe to say that the fact we have not heard back yet means that we have been rejected and we can expect a letter in the post very soon giving the reasons why. Aw well.

yeah :frown: gutted tho as really wanted this one. one of the assessors told us that they will provide 'feedback' if your unsuccessful, but then he said he thinks it's quite 'sanitized' lol!! so we'll all prob get the same stuff with our thanks but no thanks and good luck with your career letters!! lol
Reply 47
oh forgot to post that it really does also depend on how other's perform, as was chatting to one of the other assessors on the day who talked us through the scoring process (in brief) it works something like this (the numbers are just used as an indicator ok)

at the end of the assessment day everyone is scored anonymously on each task and there is a minimum number that needs to be achieved to pass the day, say for example 20 points.

They then collate all the scores at the end of all the assessment days and the top 100 (this year) get offered the post, say the top score is 30 but they only have 80 people then they go down to the 29's, 28's and so on until they reach 100. If ppl then drop off by change of mind etc (it does happen apparently) they continue going down the list again... I also read on here that they have actually told ppl in the past that they have scored enough and passed the assessment day but there is no vacancy for them!!! How mean is that lol!!
Why oh why is it taking so long for them to get back to us? I was fully expecting my rejection letter in the post this morning lol
Reply 49
I dont even think its that much of a formality yet. Have abit of optimism!
Reply 50
I've written this off and put all of my remaining deluded hopes into the Fast Stream.

If I got a very surprising "yes" call for this I'd have to learn how to do cartwheels pretty quickly for the celebration in the back garden...
Original post by insomniac1
oh forgot to post that it really does also depend on how other's perform, as was chatting to one of the other assessors on the day who talked us through the scoring process (in brief) it works something like this (the numbers are just used as an indicator ok)

at the end of the assessment day everyone is scored anonymously on each task and there is a minimum number that needs to be achieved to pass the day, say for example 20 points.

They then collate all the scores at the end of all the assessment days and the top 100 (this year) get offered the post, say the top score is 30 but they only have 80 people then they go down to the 29's, 28's and so on until they reach 100. If ppl then drop off by change of mind etc (it does happen apparently) they continue going down the list again... I also read on here that they have actually told ppl in the past that they have scored enough and passed the assessment day but there is no vacancy for them!!! How mean is that lol!!

I think it's safe to say we were not amongst the top scorers then. They must be currently working their way down the list.
Reply 52
Anyone heard anything yet?

And do they ring if they reject you?

19 days encounting for me!
Reply 53
I had my assessment centre 3 weeks ago and they said we would hear back in 2. I emailed them today and they replied -

"Thank you for your email. We are currently working through the feedback , we will be in touch in the next few weeks to confirm the outcome of your application"

So who knows?!
Reply 54
Original post by becca1990
I had my assessment centre 3 weeks ago and they said we would hear back in 2. I emailed them today and they replied -

"Thank you for your email. We are currently working through the feedback , we will be in touch in the next few weeks to confirm the outcome of your application"

So who knows?!

The fact that no one on this thread has been successful yet may be a cause for optimism.

Or they're all too busy getting drunk in celebration :smile:
Original post by TomDixie
The fact that no one on this thread has been successful yet may be a cause for optimism.

Or they're all too busy getting drunk in celebration :smile:

Does anyone know if anyone has heard they are unsuccessful yet or even successful?
I dont no if anyone has heard but when I checked this morning my application has gone from on hold to under review! Has anyone elses?
Reply 57
Original post by sophiedonalson
I dont no if anyone has heard but when I checked this morning my application has gone from on hold to under review! Has anyone elses?

No mine hasn't changed - I'm still 'on hold'...... :s-smilie:

I think we were at the same assessment centre - was yours at the Metro Centre on 1st Feb???
Reply 58
Original post by sophiedonalson

So has mine

Just lol at how I'm trying to read something into anything.

I'm off for some cake and a bath :biggrin: Yes, at the same time :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by becca1990
No mine hasn't changed - I'm still 'on hold'...... :s-smilie:

I think we were at the same assessment centre - was yours at the Metro Centre on 1st Feb???

Mine was the 2nd Feb

Quick Reply

Latest