The Student Room Group

3 or 4 a levels?

Currently I am studying psychology,sociology, history and english lit at as level.
However I am really not enjoying history and will probably get a c at best. I want to study english lit at one of the top 30 universities (excluding oxbridge). Would doing the 3 a levels psychology, sociology and english lit be a disadvantage over someone who did more than 3 a levels e.g 3 a levels and 1 as level, someone who did more traditional, broader subjects? :smile:
If it means you'll get better grades overall, then yes, studying three would be the better option. Also, it would be unwise if you're not enjoying one of your options to carry on with it as it could potentially drag all your grades down, preventing you from getting a place at one of the better universities.

Universities only care about 3 A2s, unless they state otherwise, so dropping one at the end of year 12 and only carrying on with 3 is the best option.

If you drop history you'll end up with 3 A2s and 1 AS (history), just so you know.

Just make sure you get the grades, do lots of related extra curricular stuff, and write an amazing personal statement and you'll be more than good enough to go to where you want to go.
Original post by jodiefoster23
Currently I am studying psychology,sociology, history and english lit at as level.
However I am really not enjoying history and will probably get a c at best. I want to study english lit at one of the top 30 universities (excluding oxbridge). Would doing the 3 a levels psychology, sociology and english lit be a disadvantage over someone who did more than 3 a levels e.g 3 a levels and 1 as level, someone who did more traditional, broader subjects? :smile:

I think you'd be better off just keeping history until the end of this year, and dropping it afterwards. If any of your offers from university are given in points (rather than grades) this could include your 3 A2's as well as your 1 AS.
For example, if someone took an AS level to the end of year 12, and got a C in it, they would get 40 UCAS points from it.
If they had an offer from a university that was, eg 320 points, they would only need to get 280 more points, which is equivalent to grades BBC, rather than needing 320 which is equivalent to ABB.
Even a C at AS is better than no AS at all :smile:
Reply 3
Probably didn't explain myself well. I want to drop it now so I will have 3 a levels altogether :smile:
Reply 4
I think you should try and continue it to the end of the year. If you really don't think you can manage it, drop it. I hated physics but I dropped it when I got to A2. I thought I'd fail but I got a C, and that C has made me feel a lot better because I feel less pressure about getting into the uni I want.
Probably didn't explain myself well. I want to drop it now so I will have 3 a levels altogether :smile:

Read my post at number 4

Alternatively (if you really don't want to do as I previously suggested) you could look into picking up an Extended Project Qualification which is where you write a long essay about a topic of your choice. Or something like critical thinking / general studies, though they aren't usually included in university offers.
Reply 7
The EPQ sounds good but I don't think my sixth form offers it.
I'm really not liking the idea of carrying on History but its probably my only option
Thanks for the help guys
Check out the universities prospectus' and see what the general entrance requirements are :smile: If it's points, work out what you'd need to get and whether that's doable with three a levels. Alternatively, if it's grades and does not specify the need for a fourth subject at AS then your application should be in no way prejudiced. There's no point carrying on something you don't enjoy, you won't put any effort in to it and your time could probably be better spent revising for the three subjects you enjoy :smile:
Reply 9
I can see both points but I don't think if i drop History psychology and sociology will be looked upon as greatly as other more traditional subjects
Reply 10
You only need 3 A2s and 1 AS to get into uni and that's what your offer will be based on, doing more increases your chances of only doing average/bad overall. If the requirements are AAB but you get ABBB, you probably won't get into a popular course.

Plus sociology isn't a good subject to have if you want to get into a decent uni on a decent course like you are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by super_kawaii
If it means you'll get better grades overall, then yes, studying three would be the better option. Also, it would be unwise if you're not enjoying one of your options to carry on with it as it could potentially drag all your grades down, preventing you from getting a place at one of the better universities.

Universities only care about 3 A2s, unless they state otherwise, so dropping one at the end of year 12 and only carrying on with 3 is the best option.

If you drop history you'll end up with 3 A2s and 1 AS (history), just so you know.

Just make sure you get the grades, do lots of related extra curricular stuff, and write an amazing personal statement and you'll be more than good enough to go to where you want to go.

I agree.
Do history until the end of AS, then drop it. At least then you will have an AS in it. And you never know, you could end up getting a better grade than expected.
Reply 12
Haven't really decided yet. Will have to think about it as decision needs to be made tomorrow *panics
just do the four really, it's not that hard. just put a lot of work in and you could get a B i reckon. do the EP as well, it's not that hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending