The Student Room Group

Why the private school hate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uprising23
How am I being prejudiced?!

By saying 'it's no wonder private school people don't want to mix' :tongue:
Reply 41
Original post by ah.meh
This is such a sweeping generalisation, and more of a stereotypical view! How many Public school people do you actually know? very few if any I bet

the uni i went to had a high proportion of rahs. i am speaking from personal experience.
Yeah this is very true, the competition at most private schools is very intense...whilst this is good cos it leads to people working very hard...it does mess with some peoples' minds.

I can do yes, it isn't for everyone though it definitely suited me.
Reply 43
Original post by EffieFlowers
By saying 'it's no wonder private school people don't want to mix' :tongue:

Well its true...people know that if they are going to encounter ill feeling, they aren't going to bother...it's horrible sometimes the way people react
I went to private school my whole life. I'm not particularly bright, or motivated. I've just been lucky to have some of the experiences that I have had. I HATED my day school when I was 13-15 though. Absolutely hated it. Never should have gone there. Boarding school after was banging though.
Original post by Octohedral
I'm well prepared for neg rep because this seems to be a sensitive topic.

However, yesterday I was working in my college bar and two people started a conversation over the counter that baically consisted of;
"Yes, well as soon as I hear someone went to a private school I don't really like them"
"Me neither, I mean look at Sarah"
"I mean I wouldn't not be friends with them if I was already, but it would put me off them a lot, they're all so posh."

Now imagine I have a similar conversation;
"Yes, well as soon as I hear someone went to a state school I don't really like them"
"Me neither, I mean look at Sarah"
"I mean I wouldn't not be friends with them if I was already, but it would put me off them a lot, they're all so chavvy."

I wouldn't last five minutes.

I get asked what my school was all the time, and people really judge you, no matter that the top private schools are as different to the subsidised ones as grammar schools are from inner-city comprehensives. People go for all sorts of reasons (I was there on a scholarship, for example), and yes, this does involve luck, but state school does not necessarily equal 'poor'. I had friends who went on £2000 holidays every year and went to state schools. It's a matter of personal priorities in those many cases.

And even if someone does go on the basis of wealth, how can you possibly judge their personality on something as black and white as that? Assuming everyone at a private school owns a horse and knows nothing about the real world is as random as me assuming every state school pupil is a chav.

In summary;

I genuinely want to find out more about why people are so judgemental about what school you went to.

Disclaimer: I like everyone.

Reverse snobbery and ignorance, I guess :rolleyes:
Well its true...people know that if they are going to encounter ill feeling, they aren't going to bother...it's horrible sometimes the way people react

Probably the most hypocritical statement ever.
Think what you are saying, and tell me does this not apply to the complete opposite?
Reply 47
Original post by PonchoKid
i remember in my a level sociology class we had a girl that had come from a local private school to our comp 6th form.

my sociology teacher really wanted to send me on an exchange to the private school and bring a private girl to ours (not her choice as with the girl who chose our 6th form) id have loved it to happen, but it never did.

i was a very rowdy "bad" pupil at school so would not have fit in well...
would have been interesting though.

i guess alot of it is the class wars, as i am from a very working class background and half the time we couldnt even afford to buy food, so i cant see why people would want to pay for education (those that do) if you go on scholership then thats great, but i know a lad from our year that got a scholership at another local private school and he actually changed his personality, i used to have a laugh with him in school, and then after he went private he wouldnt even say hi in the streets... i could tell you another story of a different person the same...

so i dunno i guess it depends on the person...

Never heard of that happening, it's certainly something they should try, if only to show each side that the other is human. :biggrin:

Shame about the friend who changed his personality, but I've seen that happen in the other direction too. Like you say, it depends on the person.
Reply 48
Probably the most hypocritical statement ever.
Think what you are saying, and tell me does this not apply to the complete opposite?

I don't understand how you cannot understand the point I'm making...

If I know theres a high chance that people will dislike me for the school I went to...why I am going to put myself in that situation over and over again?!
ask jack whitehall

sticks and stones may break my bones
..but it's okay i'm with bupa
Reply 50
Original post by Ham22
the uni i went to had a high proportion of rahs. i am speaking from personal experience.

Just because you have encountered a few rather loud people who happen to have gone to private school and you've labelled them 'rah' doesnt mean you've met them all, I am sure there were plenty of privately educated people at your uni who just fitted in perfectly that you didnt pick up on them having a private education, so your 'experience' of privately educated people is laughable.
Reply 51
Thanks for the replies!

I guess the general consensus is a mixture of class war, snobbery, and everyone being different (I'm probably even generalising by quoting my friends from the college bar and saying everyone thinks like that). It's probably just something we'll have to live with. :smile:
Original post by -Invidious-
Jealousy obviously and rightly so.

My boarding days were some of the best of my life.

I don't see the point in having children if you're just going to send them to boarding school. Especially young children - so many ex-public schoolkids have said how it ****ed them up, being sent away to school as young as seven. It sounds like a form of abuse, and it's certainly something I don't envy.
I don't understand how you cannot understand the point I'm making...

If I know theres a high chance that people will dislike me for the school I went to...why I am going to put myself in that situation over and over again?!

But don't you see, they don't dislike you because of your school, but your instant opinion of them being jealous and disliking you because you're more privileged than them is definitely a key component in this. You are setting yourself up for failure, you are proving your own theory correcting by making it so.

I never take a dislikening for people because of their school, I don't give a damn, but I've most certainly taken a dislikening to you. The reason? Because you are prejudiced and won't even admit to it.
You practically just said that you wouldn't mix with people who don't attend private schools because they won't like you for it.

That is really quite infuriating.
Reply 54
Original post by Pandora_Eyes
I don't see the point in having children if you're just going to send them to boarding school. Especially young children - so many ex-public schoolkids have said how it ****ed them up, being sent away to school as young as seven. It sounds like a form of abuse, and it's certainly something I don't envy.

and some have said it was fantastic and wouldn't have it any other way,
preparing them well for later life, a well rounded education they wouldn't have been able to get without boarding. As the opportunities only were available at these top Schools.
Reply 55
In fact I have never come across anyone who went to public school who didnt enjoy their old school times.
I agree. It's not like private schoolers even chose to go there most of the time.

I recently saw a comment in the comment section on some article about how state pupils from the same income background get slightly better marks at uni, and the comment was from some "employer", and he was saying something like "I'll take a bunch of regular, smart state school kids who can think on their feet over a bunch of silver spoon private school idiots any day."

Only difference between the achievement of good grades at state and private school is that you might have had to read the books yourself at state school rather than being forced like you might at private school, and since "having to read the books yourself" is quite descriptive of uni, this could explain why state kids on average get slightly higher marks at uni: uni weeds the lazy/uninterested private school kids out. Not a big deal.

Timothy Gowers went to Eton and Andrew Wiles went to The Leys School (an independent school), and they're almost certainly cleverer than most guys who got good grades at state school. I'm sure there are loads more examples like this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
But don't you see, they don't dislike you because of your school, but your instant opinion of them being jealous and disliking you because you're more privileged than them is definitely a key component in this. You are setting yourself up for failure, you are proving your own theory correcting by making it so.

I never take a dislikening for people because of their school, I don't give a damn, but I've most certainly taken a dislikening to you. The reason? Because you are prejudiced and won't even admit to it.
You practically just said that you wouldn't mix with people who don't attend private schools because they won't like you for it.

That is really quite infuriating.

Your attempts of appearing superior than this person is laughable. do carry on.
It's not so much that they dislike people because they went to private school. It's disliking the fact that privately educated people often have this delusion that they've achieved something by going there and they act like it.
Reply 59
Original post by ah.meh
In fact I have never come across anyone who went to public school who didnt enjoy their old school times.

I think it's changed a lot, and also depends on the person. My Dad went aged 8, and he was really shy and hated it. He felt his parents abandoned him, and he was always getting beaten and stuff.

Maybe he was just ungrateful, I don't know. Personally I would have loved to have gone to boarding school, and my friends loved it (I was a day pupil at a partial boarding school).

Not really sure where I'm going here...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending