The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dirty Dream Number Two
You're definitely in with a chance :smile: I got hired by a Sainsbury's local when I was about to go on a 3 week holiday. I'm not sure whether they've changed the interview process since then, though.

Thanks for the reply! :biggrin: I'm feeling a bit more positive about it now, so hopefully I'll come across well and fingers crossed that my going away doesn't put them off! It's all good experience either way, I suppose.

PS Love the B&S username :tongue:
Original post by DreamKitty
My hours are 5am to 9am. I haven't had my induction yet and I told HR Manager if I could change it, he said No.

I don't like this early morning time at all as it wasn't what I originally applied for. Is it possible for me to change roles within the store maybe after a couple of weeks or months?

You could probably ask after a little while but honestly I'd pass the probation period first [3 months] before you start asking to change hours.

Presumably you knew the hours when you signed the contract?
inksplode, well my sister works at Sainsburys too and she said I need to work 6 months or so untill I change my hours so I think you are probally so I am going to tell them after 3 months and do the hours.

I was too excited when I got the Job & I was worried that I would lose the job if I was picky and so wasn't concentrating on what the lady said on the phone. I thought it was "5PM to 9PM", silly me!:redface:. On the phone could I have had the chance to choose my hours and negotiate with them? because I keep regretting that I didn't do this. Oh well I guess I learnt from my mistake, to listen carefully.

My only problem with 5am is that it is too early, I am not studying at the moment so when my work finishes at 9am, I have the whole day ahead of me and I would rather do work to kill time and earn money. (I also like working lol!)

Also I am planning to go to University this September (if I get an offer) and so when this time comes, I will only be able to work weekends.

My main question is.

1)Do Sainsburys offer internal vacancies to workers? as in do they give the chance for workers to change roles in the same store. I.e from Counter Assistant to say Checkout? I sure would love to get a taste of all the roles that Sainsburys has and see which one I like the best:biggrin:!

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DreamKitty
1)Do Sainsburys offer internal vacancies to workers? as in do they give the chance for workers to change roles in the same store. I.e from Counter Assistant to say Checkout? I sure would love to get a taste of all the roles that Sainsburys has and see which one I like the best:biggrin:!

Thanks

They do. :smile: They normally advertise them on notice boards around where you clock in etc.
Had my interview at a Sainsbury's Local in Manchester today :biggrin: Seemed to go well, though that DVD test was rather cringey at points... I feel sorry for the poor people who had to 'act' in it! Fingers crossed I get the job!
Does anybody know how long you have to have worked at Sainsburys before being entitled to sick pay?
Reply 726
LOL, I just remembered something from a few weeks ago. The girl on the checkout behind he had this Irish customer basically I think he was trying to chat her up. (his name was James btw, he told here lol)

It was SO hard to keep a straight face & not laugh as you could hear him talking, even customers I had were laughing about it! At one point I just burst out laughing and apologiesed to my customer at the time.

James eventually had to leave (and we wasn't to happy to go) as the customer behind him wasn't happy to be held up.

I had a chat to her last week apparently he came back a couple more times lol.

Anyone here had any weird customers like that?
Original post by FutureMillionaire
Does anybody know how long you have to have worked at Sainsburys before being entitled to sick pay?

I'm pretty sure it's two years.

EDIT: two years to get it from the first day of absence. In your first two years you don't get paid for your first three days of sickness, but you do for any days after that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by thatg
LOL, I just remembered something from a few weeks ago. The girl on the checkout behind he had this Irish customer basically I think he was trying to chat her up. (his name was James btw, he told here lol)

It was SO hard to keep a straight face & not laugh as you could hear him talking, even customers I had were laughing about it! At one point I just burst out laughing and apologiesed to my customer at the time.

James eventually had to leave (and we wasn't to happy to go) as the customer behind him wasn't happy to be held up.

I had a chat to her last week apparently he came back a couple more times lol.

Anyone here had any weird customers like that?

I had a customer come in on 6 consecutive Sat nights and never actually bought anything just asked me for my number. Then recently, I had a customer who asked me to throw away his receipt, as he didn't want it because it didn't have my number on it.

Flattering but weird all the same.

One of the girls I work with was walking through our store last week, and a guy walked up to her and gave her a bear hug.
Original post by funkyfish08
I had a customer come in on 6 consecutive Sat nights and never actually bought anything just asked me for my number. Then recently, I had a customer who asked me to throw away his receipt, as he didn't want it because it didn't have my number on it.

Flattering but weird all the same.

One of the girls I work with was walking through our store last week, and a guy walked up to her and gave her a bear hug.

We had a guy who came in literally 5/6 times a day - everyday. He would buy maybe one thing at a time and would approach a checkout with a girl on - the younger the better. He would then proceed to ask for her number, leaning over the checkout to get as close as possible. He tried it with pretty much all of us working on the checkouts, under the age of around 25 lol. It got to the point where a manager would watch out for him and proceed to stand next to the checkout he picked, each and every time. He soon got the message lol.
Original post by helliethepinapple21
Hi,
I'm hoping to leave my job at Sainsbury's soon. But I'd like to stay long enough to get me the annual bonus. That pays out on 18th May, any idea when you have to be working to be eligible for that?

you have to work for that entire year to be entitled to a bonus.

so to get the bonus in 2012, you'd have to start before april 2011.
Original post by manderton
you have to work for that entire year to be entitled to a bonus.

so to get the bonus in 2012, you'd have to start before april 2011.

Are you sure? Last year I got the 2011 bonus, but I hadn't been working for Sainsbury's since before April 2010.
Original post by Liam6993
Are you sure? Last year I got the 2011 bonus, but I hadn't been working for Sainsbury's since before April 2010.

I was told that you had to work the full year. I worked from September 2010 and didn't get the 2011 bonus [or part of it]. It was a bit of a disappointment - at a previous job, we got a % of the bonus, in relation to how long we had worked there. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
I was told that you had to work the full year. I worked from September 2010 and didn't get the 2011 bonus [or part of it]. It was a bit of a disappointment - at a previous job, we got a % of the bonus, in relation to how long we had worked there. :smile:

That's strange. I definitely got a part of the bonus last year (I worked from June 2010) - I remember seeing 'bonus' on one of my pay slips.
Reply 734
Whats Sainsburys like for allowing you to work another part role at another supermarket?
Can I just ask, did everyone who works at Sainsbury's apply for their job on the website or did anyone go through other methods? Asking in-store, sending letter & CV etc.
Reply 736
They are online only....

Bonus, you get a percentage of regardless of your length there, but your store might not have got it. Unless your full time, losing out on like 3% isn't really that much of a big deal.....do many stores even hit the full 3%?
Reply 737
Hi,
I have a interview for a mini bakery assistant evening shift? Anyone know what that exactly is? Do they bake in the evening?
Reply 738
Original post by DRose
They are online only....

Bonus, you get a percentage of regardless of your length there, but your store might not have got it. Unless your full time, losing out on like 3% isn't really that much of a big deal.....do many stores even hit the full 3%?

Yeah, loads do - its more difficult for convenience stores mind you.

As for the bonus, after 26 weeks of continuous service, you are entitled to a percentage. Your bonus 1% MCM, 1% MAC and 1% sales if I remember correctly = 3% for all band 3 and below colleagues [your deputy manager can walk out with up to 10% and your store manager up to 25%]. But before all of this is possible, Sainsbury's as a company needs to make so much profit, for the bonus gateway to open. And my area HR manager told me two weeks ago that the company was NOT quite on target - and as of then, its still very much in the air.

It'll be interesting to see anyway! A bit of bonus would be lovely! :biggrin:
Reply 739
Original post by scott125
Whats Sainsburys like for allowing you to work another part role at another supermarket?

I'd think that you've got more chance of getting Justin King's job. Read through your contract before making any rash decisions, I can't remember what it says about other work.

Latest

Trending

Trending