The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Had my induction today.

I didn't know there will be modules and tests. We all got nervous and tired at the end because so of the modules required us to get 100%

It was easy though.

Tea is only 20p, that's nice.

It was a nice experience overall.
Hi guys, I've got another Sainsbury's question.
Does anyone know if you have to be a baker/have bakery experience for the role of 'mini bakery assistant'?
It's probably just packing and shelving baked goods but it might be a proper baker role, in which case there would be no point in me applying.
Reply 882
There's a 60 year old guy that's went through my checkout twice now in the past few months - I remember him because he was pretty aggressive towards me, and was so the second time a few days ago. Some people have bad days, yeah, but he's been so rude to me and shouted at me both times for insignificant reasons. My friend said if I get him a third time I should refuse to serve him and get a supervisor over, because you never know, he could be like this to other colleagues. Do you think that would be too extreme?

He plays up that he's "just an old pensioner" if you point out his aggressiveness and rudeness, but (just from looking at him) he isn't physically disabled in any way. Certainly not by the way he was throwing his shopping at the checkout at full force after he yelled at me for not knowing him pointing at his trolley meant that he expected me to unload his trolley -_- He also uses a walking stick as a "prop" in his act.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 883
Original post by tif49
Had my induction today.

I didn't know there will be modules and tests. We all got nervous and tired at the end because so of the modules required us to get 100%

It was easy though.

Tea is only 20p, that's nice.

It was a nice experience overall.

When I had my induction (It was just me :frown: ) she actually gave me some of the answers to MAKE me get 100% on the tests!!
Reply 884
Original post by HalfBloodPrincess
Hi guys, I've got another Sainsbury's question.
Does anyone know if you have to be a baker/have bakery experience for the role of 'mini bakery assistant'?
It's probably just packing and shelving baked goods but it might be a proper baker role, in which case there would be no point in me applying.

As far as I know mini bakery assistants work in stores that just do 'bake off', that's shoving frozen bread/cakes in the oven then packing them up after. (I could be wrong though.) I'm sure that if they want someone with previous bakery experience it'd be a question during the application process though. :smile:
Reply 885
Original post by RJ100
What does the job mainly entail? Is it full time and how much money do you get?

Mostly doing the general commercial tasks that the assistants do. They're also the Department Manager's right-hand, so they supervise and coach colleagues to deliver the day-to-day activities, help keep training up-to-date, make sure colleagues' customer service is observes, keep a track of who goes to the monthly briefings, they may be involved in scheduling and holiday planning too.

The hours depend on the store, most Team Leaders are full-time or near enough though. Team Leader in training position is a band 3 role (something like £6.90/h when first assigned then £7.26/h after 6 months), once training is complete there's an extra 32p per hour. (Groceries online team leaders that drive and bakery team leaders that are skilled bakers get a premium on top of the basic Team Leader wage.)
Reply 886
Original post by _N_
There's a 60 year old guy that's went through my checkout twice now in the past few months - I remember him because he was pretty aggressive towards me, and was so the second time a few days ago. Some people have bad days, yeah, but he's been so rude to me and shouted at me both times for insignificant reasons. My friend said if I get him a third time I should refuse to serve him and get a supervisor over, because you never know, he could be like this to other colleagues. Do you think that would be too extreme?

He plays up that he's "just an old pensioner" if you point out his aggressiveness and rudeness, but (just from looking at him) he isn't physically disabled in any way. Certainly not by the way he was throwing his shopping at the checkout at full force after he yelled at me for not knowing him pointing at his trolley meant that he expected me to unload his trolley -_- He also uses a walking stick as a "prop" in his act.

If you feel he's being aggressive towards you or not treating you appropriately, you should discuss it with one of your Team Leaders or your Department Manager (perhaps you get on well with one of them) to express your concerns. They may have some advice on how best to deal with him if they're a known running "problem customer" or should offer you some sort of support. That way if it happens again and you call someone over they'll understand it's a running issue.

If this doesn't solve the issue then raise it to your Department Manager if you've spoken with a Team Leader, or to the Personnel/HR Manager. It's Sainsbury's policy that all colleagues should be treated with respect and shouldn't be abused by our customers.
Original post by jjgoth
As far as I know mini bakery assistants work in stores that just do 'bake off', that's shoving frozen bread/cakes in the oven then packing them up after. (I could be wrong though.) I'm sure that if they want someone with previous bakery experience it'd be a question during the application process though. :smile:

Thanks for answering :smile:
Reply 888
Hey guys,

Do Sainsbury's do the uniform in cotton? I need it in cotton due to a skin condition.

At the moment, they gave me 100% polyester which is quite bad for my skin - I'll get a rash.
Reply 889
Original post by jjgoth
Mostly doing the general commercial tasks that the assistants do. They're also the Department Manager's right-hand, so they supervise and coach colleagues to deliver the day-to-day activities, help keep training up-to-date, make sure colleagues' customer service is observes, keep a track of who goes to the monthly briefings, they may be involved in scheduling and holiday planning too.

The hours depend on the store, most Team Leaders are full-time or near enough though. Team Leader in training position is a band 3 role (something like £6.90/h when first assigned then £7.26/h after 6 months), once training is complete there's an extra 32p per hour. (Groceries online team leaders that drive and bakery team leaders that are skilled bakers get a premium on top of the basic Team Leader wage.)

All team leaders get a premium, regardless of their department - known as a "skills payment".

To the person that's feeling somewhat intimidated by the 60 year old customer, please do express your concerns to your line manager [team leader] - this is what they are here for! :smile:
Reply 890
Original post by tif49
Hey guys,

Do Sainsbury's do the uniform in cotton? I need it in cotton due to a skin condition.

At the moment, they gave me 100% polyester which is quite bad for my skin - I'll get a rash.

The formal shirts and blouses are 35% cotton, 65% polyester. If that's no good maybe you could wear a t-shirt under the uniform or discuss it with your Department Manager to see if there's some sort of compromise due to your circumstances.
Reply 891
I don't have a skin condition, but I hate the material of the uniform. I find the trousers and shirt so scratchy and uncomfortable on my skin. When I was working there 5 days a week, my arms started going flaky. Disgusting. They became better again when I started wearing my own t-shirts underneath the uniform, but that gets annoying in summer.

Original post by jjgoth
x

Thanks for the advice, that seems a better thing to do.
Did my second day at Sainsbury's Local today (I'm doing 5 days a week, eep!)... It's all been good so far - everyone seems really nice and I haven't found any of the work particularly difficult, but then I've mainly been guarding the self service checkouts, which seems to be super easy! The voices on the machines are driving me a little mad though... :biggrin:
Reply 893
Its good to work @ Sainsbury's...

(Reuters) - J Sainsbury Plc (SBRY.L), Britain's third-biggest supermarket group, beat forecasts for fourth quarter sales growth as it won market share, including from ailing industry leader Tesco Plc (TSCO.L).

Shares in Sainsbury's, which lags Wal-Mart Stores Inc's (WMT.N) Asda and Tesco by annual revenue, rose 3 percent on Wednesday after it said sales at stores open more than a year increased 2.6 percent, excluding fuel, in the 10 weeks to March 17.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/03/21/uk-sainsbury-idUKBRE82K0BH20120321

Even though Tesco is valued at around £30billion - nearly six times more than Sainsbury's - the current performance of each speaks for itself.
Reply 894
Original post by bubelah
Its good to work @ Sainsbury's...

It would be if I saw any evidence of that success in my bank account.
Reply 895
Original post by mimimimi
Did my second day at Sainsbury's Local today (I'm doing 5 days a week, eep!)... It's all been good so far - everyone seems really nice and I haven't found any of the work particularly difficult, but then I've mainly been guarding the self service checkouts, which seems to be super easy! The voices on the machines are driving me a little mad though... :biggrin:

Do you have a nectar card? Did you use any of your own bags? :P
Reply 896
went in to do some shopping today, and see we now have signs on the self scan saying;

to see your revised total after discounts press 'finish & pay' then 'go back'

bet we will still get customers saying the discount hasn't come off!
Reply 897
Original post by FXX
It would be if I saw any evidence of that success in my bank account.

:biggrin:
Reply 898
Original post by bubelah

Even though Tesco is valued at around £30billion - nearly six times more than Sainsbury's - the current performance of each speaks for itself.

Tesco is valued at 26.6billion, sainsbury's 5.9billion, so really only 4.5 times more.

sainbsbury's, asda, lidl and aldi have been chipping away at tesco's market share for a while even if it is little by little.
Reply 899
Original post by mug51
little by little.

I hope that pun was intentional :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending