The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
Original post by GuyUK
What's wrong with collecting trolleys? Are you female or male? If you're female, then I agree, collecting trolleys is unfair, as trolleys can be quite heavy. In my store, it's usually 3 guys that collect trolleys, me being one of them. I only seen one female colleague collecting trolley, even the female manager collects trolleys sometimes.

I collect 10 large or 10 small trolleys at a time. I am not particularly strong, and find it manageable.

I prefer collecting trolleys to checkouts and self scans. I hate self scans and checkouts, because managers are more strict on customer services. The only problem with trolleys, is that when it's raining heavily, your lower body is soaking, but you get to wear a sainsburys jackets, so your jacket and head won't be wet.

The only thing I have to do when collecting trolleys, is make sure there are small trolleys, tidy and pick on rubbish in the trolleys bay and empty the recycling bin.

If I am working at checkout or self scan, I have to smile like I just won the lottery. I rather collect trolleys then faking my smile all the times.

Hey, i didnt mean any offence.

I dont think that its the job for me, I am not bery fond of physical labour and at my store its a job that most people avoid but I should not judge something that I have not yet tried but I feel like I have been given this job because no one else wants to do and I am an easy target to give it to.
Original post by WhiteWash
Hi,

I've been working at Sainsburys since the start of December (2011), but am aiming to head off to uni later this year, and don't really want to quit.

I know going dual-store could be a possibility, but how soon should I discuss this with my manager? - don't want to be too early or too late!

I think I asked my HR manager around may time and had a place confirmed within two weeks. Problem was I didn't get in to my first choice uni, so I had to go back and ask her to email stores near my second choice. No store replied so my store manager rang up for me and got me a position which was really good of him. If you don't get a dual store position, you can always come back as a temp and ask them to email other stores again asking for a dual-store contract.
Original post by fabz765
I don't think HR work over weekend... or don't progress applications? I'm sure you will hear tomorrow morning or tuesday morning!
For me, i applied for the position tuesday afternoon and had an e-mail the next morning saying i was invited to interview. So not long at all :smile:

thanks for the reply...im really hoping i hear something soon!
Reply 1023
As far as i know there is no telephone interview for a CSA...there wasn't for me anyway.
Reply 1024
Never mind I just had my interview and passed. It must be a new thing they're doing :smile:
Original post by RJ100
I have been asked to help with trolleys soon and i really dont want to do it. I dont mind checkouts, doing baskets, or returning shopping or clearing out bin no way do i want to do trolley. One supervisor said to me today he will get me to do it soon, didnt really give me much of a choice, he said you are going to do it anyway :s
I do find it really hard to say no but I am rather new and I am still on probation so dont want to ruffle any feathers, A colleague who sat next to me on checkouts said ive been depromoted to trolleys, he was asked by another supervisor a few weeks ago but said no.

Is there anyway i can get out of trolley work, i dont think i am physically strong and i dont want to be outside either but find it hard to say no and i am on probation :frown:

It's not a demotion of any type. Most people use the phrase "it's not my job" around stores but quite frankly every colleague is employed to serve customers in whatever capacity; tills, shop floor, trolleys.

I know it's hardwork and a pain in the *** but if you don't have designated trolley retrieval colleagues then youll be a small store and the job won't take too long. My advice (I've been a cashier and used for trolleys, and I've been a checkout manager) is to just get on with it without annoying anyone. I'd only get frustrated of it isn't done fairly ie you're always the one sent out. Most of my cashiers hated it but I made sure it was done in turns and everyone was alright with that.

Original post by WhiteWash
Hi,

I've been working at Sainsburys since the start of December (2011), but am aiming to head off to uni later this year, and don't really want to quit.

I know going dual-store could be a possibility, but how soon should I discuss this with my manager? - don't want to be too early or too late!

Quite simply, as soon as possible. HR will need to arrange with the second store whether a place exists for you to fill and plan out schedules. Complete transfer documents etc etc. It isn't a simple quick process :frown:

Original post by Hmary
How does the night shift premium work?
Say you work from 10pm-8am, are all those hours counted or is it just after midnight til 6am?

thanks guys.

The premium is paid for every hour of the shift as long as the shift passes through the hours of 12am-2am so 10-8 would be 9 hours paid (one hour unpaid break) but 4pm-1am would receive no premium

~Jordan
Reply 1026
Loving this current 15% discount! Did my online shopping, came to £52.16 & I managed to save £7.82! :biggrin:
Reply 1027
Original post by RJ100
Is there anyway i can get out of trolley work, i dont think i am physically strong and i dont want to be outside either but find it hard to say no and i am on probation :frown:

Unless you're physically unable to do the job and can provide proof then you don't have much choice since mainline cashier, self-scan cashier, checkout supervisor/captain, customer service desk cashier, kiosk cashier and trolley retrieval all come under the one job title - Customer Service Assistant. So as long as they provide you with the adequate training and equipment then they can ask you to do whichever of those they want.
Reply 1028
Original post by Jordan694

The premium is paid for every hour of the shift as long as the shift passes through the hours of 12am-2am so 10-8 would be 9 hours paid (one hour unpaid break) but 4pm-1am would receive no premium

~Jordan

Thank you, i had been wondering for a while and that makes it clear.

I have been at Sainsburys for 9 months now and would like to change from my current departments to work nightshift-either at my current store OR at the store thats closer to me.
Is that actually possible? and if it is how would i go about it?

Also, on the subject of nightshift-how is it that your timed? in my current store people seem to replenish the shelves in teams so how do they know an individuals preformance?
i applied for position on friday and got a call from hr today for a telephone interview!

i answered all the questions and confirmed my references, and then the lady asked for my uniform sizes 'just incase' and then said i should receive an email by the end of the day with the outcome and if id be invited for an interview.

well...i just checked and i have an interview tomorrow morning :biggrin:..so happy! only temp til mid july but thats ok. ive been looking for a job for agessss so im hoping im successful tomorrow
Reply 1030
Original post by Sparklees
i applied for position on friday and got a call from hr today for a telephone interview!

i answered all the questions and confirmed my references, and then the lady asked for my uniform sizes 'just incase' and then said i should receive an email by the end of the day with the outcome and if id be invited for an interview.

well...i just checked and i have an interview tomorrow morning :biggrin:..so happy! only temp til mid july but thats ok. ive been looking for a job for agessss so im hoping im successful tomorrow

Same here! What store did you apply for?
Reply 1031
Original post by FreeRangeEggs
yay! got the job :biggrin: :biggrin: I'm over the moon!! now onto these induction days, I'm quite nervous :s what happens in these two nine-hour days!?

Did you have to take part in that team assessment during your interview?
Reply 1032
Induction is on Wednesday! Cant wait :smile: Do they get you to start work straight away..? My contract shifts are thursday,friday and saturday. So will i be asked to start this week?
Reply 1033
Well done! What things did they ask?
Original post by Hmary

I have been at Sainsburys for 9 months now and would like to change from my current departments to work nightshift-either at my current store OR at the store thats closer to me.

Also, on the subject of nightshift-how is it that your timed? in my current store people seem to replenish the shelves in teams so how do they know an individuals preformance?

Best bet to moving quickly is phoning or contacting your HR department straight away, there was a huge difference in the transition between one of our night staff who asked the managers and one who went straight to HR when they wanted to move.

Where i work, a lot of people have their own aisles so they will know your case rate from that, for bigger case rates you do sometimes work in pairs but managers watch closer than they think you do.
Original post by fabz765
Induction is on Wednesday! Cant wait :smile: Do they get you to start work straight away..? My contract shifts are thursday,friday and saturday. So will i be asked to start this week?

I believe you start straight away! Our induction was on a Friday/Saturday and the girl working Sunday's went straight to work the next night. :smile:
Reply 1036
Thank you!

They roughly asked:

What do I know about Sainsburys?

Why have you applied to work for Sainsburys ?

What duties do I except to undertake whilst working at Sainsburys?

Name a time when you achieved a set goal and how did you do so?

Explain when you have been faced with a difficult task and you made it simpler to complete it?

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but the last one did catch me off guard a bit but they don't judge you on your nervousness or your ability to communicate fluently. They just base it on how substantial your answers and points are. And they get back to you half an hour after you finish, which is very convenient :smile:
Well, these look pretty much like standard interview questions, so you now acquired a skillset that you'll be able to use in any interview! And good luck for your new job, if you end up working for them!
Reply 1038
Original post by lastingsilence
I believe you start straight away! Our induction was on a Friday/Saturday and the girl working Sunday's went straight to work the next night. :smile:

Gotta prepare myself then for these early starts! Also, will i be able to pick overtime up straight away? I hope it's offered!
Original post by Hmary
Thank you, i had been wondering for a while and that makes it clear.

As lastingsilence mentioned. You want to tell HR as soon as possible. Just discuss it with your HRM cause if they cannot accommodate extra hours on shift they can ask around on the region for stores that are under contacted.

In terms of timing. It varies from store to store and typically if working in teams,
I would certainly just do passing observations on how long you take to replen a few cases. But again, more often that not you have your own section to work and the manager will use the shift hours allocation tool to work out how many hours it should take a competent colleague to work the cases assigned to his section! Simply put!

Latest

Trending

Trending