The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
If an under 18 colleague sells alcohol without authorisation would theyget dismissal?

Someone in my store got caught selling alcohol and an investigation has started because of that. The persons really nice and friendly with me so was asking me if they could get dismissed. What do ŷöù experts say?
Original post by hasm
If an under 18 colleague sells alcohol without authorisation would theyget dismissal?

Someone in my store got caught selling alcohol and an investigation has started because of that. The persons really nice and friendly with me so was asking me if they could get dismissed. What do ŷöù experts say?

I did it once before i was 18 (it was to someone who was obviously over 18 (i.e. an old person)), and i was caught. I just got told off by my supervisor at the time, needless to say i didn't do it again. This was about a week or two into my employment and I survived and am still working!
Reply 1362
Original post by Writer14
Do you not have a checkout newsletter? We have one in a folder on each checkout that's updated every week.

I never knew there was a regular newsletter o_O I've gotten one maybe twice in the last 1 1/2 years.
I started working as a christmas temp in october and got taken on permanently. In september I'm going to university in Salford and I was wondering, does Sainsburys offer transfers to everybody wherever they want to go, or just to stores where they have vacancies? I'd like to get to university and have a part-time job set.

Also, when should I enquire about a transfer? I mentioned it to my team leader when doing my holiday form (he gave me 4 weeks for the summer rather that 3) but I'm not sure if I have to speak to my manager or to the HR department. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1364
payday next friday :smile:
Original post by DDS

Yay!! I enjoy my work anyway (8 months and the novelty still hasnt gone!!) but payday just adds to the fun :biggrin:
Original post by Chris_K_93
I started working as a christmas temp in october and got taken on permanently. In september I'm going to university in Salford and I was wondering, does Sainsburys offer transfers to everybody wherever they want to go, or just to stores where they have vacancies? I'd like to get to university and have a part-time job set.

Also, when should I enquire about a transfer? I mentioned it to my team leader when doing my holiday form (he gave me 4 weeks for the summer rather that 3) but I'm not sure if I have to speak to my manager or to the HR department. Thanks :smile:

I believe that so long as you've done a good job so far they're pretty accommodating with transfers, they try to fit you in at least some hours. Quite a few of ours are preparing to transfer out after finishing Uni and going back to their home towns.

The advice spread around was to go straight to the HR department. Just pop in or give them a call, it usually get things moving faster. I would mention it as soon as possible.

Original post by DDS

Payday keeps coming around far too quickly. :frown:
Original post by Chris_K_93

Sounds like you're in pretty much the exact same situation as me. I spoke to my line manager about it last week and she said they're usually reasonably good at finding somewhere, just put it in writing (a request like) to HR. So I handed my letter in on Saturday and just waiting on a response now as to what happens next.....

Regards
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey,

Roughly how long does an interview last?

Thanks!
Original post by _N_
I never knew there was a regular newsletter o_O I've gotten one maybe twice in the last 1 1/2 years.

There are two - one that we make ourselves and is store specific, and one that's made by head office and is emailed down each week, which your checkout manager is meant to print and distribute. This is the checkout version of a huddle, as it would be impossible to get every checkout colleague off a till to talk to them personally.
Original post by Writer14
There are two - one that we make ourselves and is store specific, and one that's made by head office and is emailed down each week, which your checkout manager is meant to print and distribute. This is the checkout version of a huddle, as it would be impossible to get every checkout colleague off a till to talk to them personally.

We've never had anything like that either. Get the monthly briefing DVD and thats all.

Regards
Reply 1371
We have a weekly checkout newsletter too. Has all the latest information that you need to know. Never read the head office one as it's on a notice board upstairs so you can only catch a glimpse as you walk past.

We have a folder at each checkout full of all the newsletters, and other information you need to know :smile:
Original post by RJ100
I found out that I am paying emergency tax, I have a p45 from the jobcentre do I hand this in to HR or do I fill out a p46. Am kinda confused :s.

I think they both work in the same way. Like if someone has lost their p45 they can just fill in a p46, so they do the same thing really. Use either of them, then if your tax isn't right you'll need to call the tax office (I had to do this the other day because for some reason Sainsbury's told them it was my second job so I got taxed loads!). If in doubt call the HR number or the tax office, they should both know what to do :smile:
Thanks for all the help :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Oops... I called my store up today in a flap because I have an exam tomorrow afternoon and my dissertation is due on Friday, and I'm due to work from 6am-12pm tomorrow. I thought I'd try my luck and explain the situation and hoped they'd understand, but after checking the schedule they said I couldn't have it off. I understand that it's really short notice, but it's a bit annoying because I know fully well they could cope perfectly without me, and that I'll spend a fair amount of my shift doing pretty much nothing. Also it may be awkward because the woman I spoke to on the phone probably thinks I'm a right idiot now for thinking I had any chance of getting it off. Oh well :frown:
Reply 1375
Original post by RJ100
I found out that I am paying emergency tax, I have a p45 from the jobcentre do I hand this in to HR or do I fill out a p46. Am kinda confused :s.

You can do either - it takes Inland Revenue the same time to process both, with a P45 you're waiting on Sainsbury's to process it on your behalf, a P46 at least the control is in your hands.
Original post by matt4504
Just a quick query about pay/promotion. Say I get a job on checkouts, how do I increase my pay/progress? Are there yearly reviews/what is the management structure of checkouts?

Thanks!

If you get a job then you will have a 11 week probation period and you will have regular reviews at 4 and 11 weeks. After that you will have a colleague performance review every 6 months with your team leader or manager. On our region we religiously complete these and the department manager is dealt with if they don't organise these. My team leaders complete these and I review them. For colleagues (bands 2 and 3) there is a salary review yearly.

In terms of promotion, the management of checkouts is made up of band 2 runners, band 3 team leaders and one band 4 customer service manager. The number of runners and team leaders depend on your store, but there's only one manager position. The checkout managers boss is the deputy store manager and then the store manager above them. But obviously there's also convenience.

There are also a number of training schemes available. I'm on the retail graduate scheme and I'm currently on placement as a customer service manager and I'm off to be a convenience store manager next. There's also the trainee manager scheme and other internal routes.

Hope that helps.
Reply 1377
Hey, need some advice!

So there's a convenience opening up around the corner from me, and currently i have to do a 12 mile round trip to my current store every day.

The current store has one of the highest payscales on the region but is it true progression is easier in convenience?

I'm a band 2 colleague trying to take up a band 3 position in convenience but my current store manager is offering me a band 3 position to stay on main estate at their store.

Do I stay or do I go? I know its my decision at the end of the day but is convenience as good as I've heard?
Reply 1378
I would like some honest advice on my situation. Here it goes...

There's a gig next Friday that I have been planning to go to for the last two months. I foolishly brought the non-refundable tickets before getting the day off work. It was two months away and I'd thought they would never refuse something so in advance.

However, they fooled me around I was not about to get my holiday forms in until six weeks until the gig. They refused my day off.

I'm aware of my own stupidity here, but would they do anything if I called in sick on the day of the show? It would be six weeks since I even asked for the day off so they could of forgotten. Not too mention, it's over 3 hours away, so chances of walking into someone at work would be very slim. It's not the mature thing to do, but I have my heart set on this and I am leaving soon anyways.

TL;DR Would they sack me if I called-in sick on a day that they refused me holiday on six weeks ago?
Reply 1379
Original post by MsTwinky
I would like some honest advice on my situation. Here it goes...

There's a gig next Friday that I have been planning to go to for the last two months. I foolishly brought the non-refundable tickets before getting the day off work. It was two months away and I'd thought they would never refuse something so in advance.

However, they fooled me around I was not about to get my holiday forms in until six weeks until the gig. They refused my day off.

I'm aware of my own stupidity here, but would they do anything if I called in sick on the day of the show? It would be six weeks since I even asked for the day off so they could of forgotten. Not too mention, it's over 3 hours away, so chances of walking into someone at work would be very slim. It's not the mature thing to do, but I have my heart set on this and I am leaving soon anyways.

TL;DR Would they sack me if I called-in sick on a day that they refused me holiday on six weeks ago?

discretely find if someone can swap shifts, but yea just call in sick