The Student Room Group

GUYS: are you disappointed when you see girls without makeup on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by HerMaj
I actually created an account just so I could answer this. I thought it was so interesting.

I personally have worn makeup every day since I was about 12. I won't leave the house without it. Just thinking about it makes me completely panicky.
When I lived in uni halls last year I missed breakfast because I couldn't face the idea of people seeing me without makeup.

I have toned it down a lot in the years and actually feel I look pretty natural. On a daily basis I wear primer, liquid foundation, gel foundation, powder, concealer, blusher, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner (both pencil and liquid) and mascara... on a night out I would also wear eyeshadow, lipstick and more coverage (foundation)
I don't actually feel this is really that much!

Only a handful of people in the last 7 years or so have seen me without makeup... My boyfriend of about 2 1/2 yrs is always trying to encourage me to go out without it. He always says I look so much better without it, and I have got used to not having to wear it just around the house in front of him.
The first time my flat mate saw me without makeup he said i looked like hell and asked if I was feeling okay! Which kinda confirmed my suspicions, lol.

So I guess it's down to personal tastes... like my bf prefers me without but I think I would probably die if I went out in public without makeup. Dunno why exactly, I don't think I'm particularly unattractive, but I guess I've worn it for so long that it's more of a mask / confidence thing.

Sorry for such a long post!

haha don't be sorry! thanks for your input :smile:
Reply 61
I personally wouldn't feel confident to go out without my make up on, but from experience, guys seem to prefer me/girls in general without it. I particularly remember one morning after a house party, I woke up on a sofa next to my ex boyfriend with a roomful of other people, by this point any make up I had on from the night before was obviously pretty much non existent by now. He just looked at me and said 'god, you look beautiful without make up', the other guys in the room heard and they all started having a conversation about how they preferred girls with no make up on.

My current boyfriend tries to tell me not to wear make up too, but I just feel so bare without it!
Reply 62
Original post by Smoosh
I personally wouldn't feel confident to go out without my make up on, but from experience, guys seem to prefer me/girls in general without it. I particularly remember one morning after a house party, I woke up on a sofa next to my ex boyfriend with a roomful of other people, by this point any make up I had on from the night before was obviously pretty much non existent by now. He just looked at me and said 'god, you look beautiful without make up', the other guys in the room heard and they all started having a conversation about how they preferred girls with no make up on.

My current boyfriend tries to tell me not to wear make up too, but I just feel so bare without it!

I think that's the answer most guys (myself very much included) would give. I also think having the confidence to go out without make-up on is a turnon in itself as well. I'm not virulently opposed to make-up or anything either (unless someone is wearing that much of it that you would need a trowel to get it off or they look like an oompa lompa or something).

I remember a (female) mate once memorably told me that women are like houses; without foundation most are potentially unstable. :cool:
Reply 63
Original post by gingerben
personally i tend to think the girl looks better without makeup plastered all over her face
hahah i got negged for this?

'course you did, don't your realise how important makeup is to most girls? Thankfully I don't think men can ever comprehend the fragility of a typical female's self esteem, and the reassurance and protection that facepaint provides for them.

Makeup is a very touchy subject - theres no way to talk about it without making a girl go ape****, best just avoid it.
Reply 64
Original post by HerMaj
I actually created an account just so I could answer this. I thought it was so interesting.

I personally have worn makeup every day since I was about 12. I won't leave the house without it. Just thinking about it makes me completely panicky.
When I lived in uni halls last year I missed breakfast because I couldn't face the idea of people seeing me without makeup.

I have toned it down a lot in the years and actually feel I look pretty natural. On a daily basis I wear primer, liquid foundation, gel foundation, powder, concealer, blusher, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner (both pencil and liquid) and mascara... on a night out I would also wear eyeshadow, lipstick and more coverage (foundation)
I don't actually feel this is really that much!

Hilarious, makeup addicts are like obese people who "hardly eat a thing!"

Only a handful of people in the last 7 years or so have seen me without makeup... My boyfriend of about 2 1/2 yrs is always trying to encourage me to go out without it. He always says I look so much better without it, and I have got used to not having to wear it just around the house in front of him.
The first time my flat mate saw me without makeup he said i looked like hell and asked if I was feeling okay! Which kinda confirmed my suspicions, lol.

So I guess it's down to personal tastes... like my bf prefers me without but I think I would probably die if I went out in public without makeup. Dunno why exactly, I don't think I'm particularly unattractive, but I guess I've worn it for so long that it's more of a mask / confidence thing.

Sorry for such a long post!

Do you ever wish you had never started with it? It's clearly a really powerful addiction and attachment, and starting from such a young age means that you're just so used to it, and everyone else is used to how you look with all that makeup on so you do of course look quite strange without it. Probably perfectly normal to someone who never knew you - or perhaps by now your skin is in such a terrible state from all the abuse that you look pretty bad without, I don't know.

Either way it's really sad. If I had a daughter I'd forbid her to wear makeup, basically. It clearly is a terrible thing.
Reply 65
Original post by frc
Hilarious, makeup addicts are like obese people who "hardly eat a thing!"

Um, no they're not? How is it hilarious?
I don't think of myself as a makeup "addict", like, I don't paint my face orange or anything... If you saw a photo of me you prob wouldn't think I actually wear that much. It's more of a confidence thing.

Original post by frc
Do you ever wish you had never started with it? It's clearly a really powerful addiction and attachment, and starting from such a young age means that you're just so used to it, and everyone else is used to how you look with all that makeup on so you do of course look quite strange without it. Probably perfectly normal to someone who never knew you - or perhaps by now your skin is in such a terrible state from all the abuse that you look pretty bad without, I don't know.

I'm not really one for regrets, so I can't honestly say that I've ever thought about what it'd be like without it. I started wearing makeup at "such a young age" because I had pretty bad skin, and got teased about it at school - from girls who already wore a trowel of makup, I might add. I don't think 12 was that young at all. My skin is now the best it's been in years, i haven't 'abused' it - as long as I take it all off at night, and cleanse my face etc, I don't think it's bad for me. I wear decent brands too so it's all less likely to mess up my face.
When I come home from uni and my mum sees me without makeup she's always, like, surprised to remember what I look like without it... So I guess I do look pretty different! It's actually really interesting when I think about it, I always thought of my makeup as being as mask / confidence boost.. but I wouldn't say I have fragile self-esteem or anything. I don't really know what it stems from.

Original post by frc
Either way it's really sad. If I had a daughter I'd forbid her to wear makeup, basically. It clearly is a terrible thing.

Erm, good luck with that one. Makeup is kinda the norm where I'm from. Think TOWIE! I'm not that bad, my makeup is actually the colour of my (real) skintone!
Reply 66
Original post by HerMaj
Um, no they're not? How is it hilarious?
I don't think of myself as a makeup "addict", like, I don't paint my face orange or anything... If you saw a photo of me you prob wouldn't think I actually wear that much. It's more of a confidence thing.

I'm not really one for regrets, so I can't honestly say that I've ever thought about what it'd be like without it. I started wearing makeup at "such a young age" because I had pretty bad skin, and got teased about it at school - from girls who already wore a trowel of makup, I might add. I don't think 12 was that young at all. My skin is now the best it's been in years, i haven't 'abused' it - as long as I take it all off at night, and cleanse my face etc, I don't think it's bad for me. I wear decent brands too so it's all less likely to mess up my face.
When I come home from uni and my mum sees me without makeup she's always, like, surprised to remember what I look like without it... So I guess I do look pretty different! It's actually really interesting when I think about it, I always thought of my makeup as being as mask / confidence boost.. but I wouldn't say I have fragile self-esteem or anything. I don't really know what it stems from.

Erm, good luck with that one. Makeup is kinda the norm where I'm from. Think TOWIE! I'm not that bad, my makeup is actually the colour of my (real) skintone!

Yea it's strange, everyone thinks they're average or normal or (meaningless) "not that bad"... not how bad?

Even your mother can't remember what your real face looks like, you paint it so thoroughly with all the layers you described earlier. Utterly bizarre, I've never understood it.

What a crippling disability you suffer.
Reply 67
Original post by frc
Yea it's strange, everyone thinks they're average or normal or (meaningless) "not that bad"... not how bad?

Even your mother can't remember what your real face looks like, you paint it so thoroughly with all the layers you described earlier. Utterly bizarre, I've never understood it.

What a crippling disability you suffer.

I don't "paint" my face. You don't even have a clue what I look like so don't be so judgemental. My makeup looks natural, I've never been told (except by my mum) that I looked orange or whatever. And that was years ago and she was completely right, just wasnt wearing the right foundation.
I don't consider myself to have a "crippling disability" either. It takes me 5-10 minutes longer in the mornings to get ready, and 5 minutes longer at night. It's something I do every day when I go out in public just to make myself feel a bit prettier, and I enjoy putting my makeup on. I don't think that I'm ugly or unattractive without it, it's just a habit that I don't see the need to break.
And by "not that bad" I mean I don't look like those clowns from Snog Marry Avoid.
But again it's just a habit of a lifetime for them. I know a girl who wears fake eyelashes every single day, she even used to wear them to school, but i would never say she has a problem or anything! It's just a thing girls do. I personally have never received negative attention (in real life) from wearing makeup...
Original post by py0alb

Original post by py0alb
You're quite correct, my bad. Some girls are lesbians.

Erm. I have a boyfriend so I'm not looking to pick up other men and I know he thinks I look fine without makeup, and yet I still wear it. When I go, for example, to uni without makeup I feel disgusting and have no confidence. I don't want people to look at me when I'm like that! In fact if I'm feeling particularly down I'll go in without makeup on purpose as a sign for people to leave me alone. Wearing it is much more of a confidence thing for myself than for other people, men or women, and I would say most of my friends feel the same way.
Reply 69
Original post by frc
'course you did, don't your realise how important makeup is to most girls? Thankfully I don't think men can ever comprehend the fragility of a typical female's self esteem, and the reassurance and protection that facepaint provides for them.

Makeup is a very touchy subject - theres no way to talk about it without making a girl go ape****, best just avoid it.

good point i just tend to think girls look better without it
its like them girls who go over the top with fake tan and end up looking like they have been tango'd boggles my mind
Reply 70
Original post by gingerben
good point i just tend to think girls look better without it
its like them girls who go over the top with fake tan and end up looking like they have been tango'd boggles my mind

That's the thing you're imagining them for girls wearing make-up an extreme example. When you see girls out and about they're wearing make-up just not really obviously.

Without make-up they look rough.

Everything on TSR is to extremes. All examples are the absolute extremes of everything.
Reply 71
Original post by McHumpy92
That's the thing you're imagining them for girls wearing make-up an extreme example. When you see girls out and about they're wearing make-up just not really obviously.

Without make-up they look rough.

Everything on TSR is to extremes. All examples are the absolute extremes of everything.

i tend not to think of the extreme i just prefer none to any
Reply 72
I'm not a guy, but just thought I'd add my opinion..

I am never disappointed to see my girlfriend without makeup on. Although I'm not dismissing how women look with makeup on, the natural look is so beautiful. And the fact that she is comfortable enough to go without when I'm around is nice. :smile:
Reply 73
I gotta say, this has been an interesting dilemma...
But I can openly admit, even at 17, I have never worn make up (not out of personal choice anyway) and I don't think I'll ever choose to. Unless of course; I suddenly grow a third eye, or something possibly worth hiding.
I mean, what a nuisance to feel obliged to pile this stuff on, there is just no way I could be bothered with all that and then taking it off!
I know I am certainly in the minority, and I can understand why many women choose to use it, and how it gives them confidence, but I could not feel any weirder knowing that my eyelashes are solid and clumpy.
It's just a shame that so many in society feel that they must emulate the looks of celebrities, when really they are just as imperfect as the rest of us!
Natural beauty seems to be hard to come by, but nothing compares to it.
Original post by BraddoCA
But I can openly admit, even at 17, I have never worn make up (not out of personal choice anyway) and I don't think I'll ever choose to. Unless of course; I suddenly grow a third eye, or something possibly worth hiding.
I mean, what a nuisance to feel obliged to pile this stuff on, there is just no way I could be bothered with all that and then taking it off!
I know I am certainly in the minority, and I can understand why many women choose to use it, and how it gives them confidence, but I could not feel any weirder knowing that my eyelashes are solid and clumpy.
It's just a shame that so many in society feel that they must emulate the looks of celebrities, when really they are just as imperfect as the rest of us!

I agree with everything you said lol
Original post by BraddoCA

How different different does your girlfriend look without make up on? Is the change drastic?
no that's just stupid that is just not right. why should you feel like that if you love the person?
Some girls can pull it off, but some girls can't. There are girls who have lots of make up on, but then they look decent without make up, whereas there are girls who have not so much make up on, but they take it off and they don't look good. Personally, I like a natural looking girl, but unfortunately girls don't go outside without make up, so that sucks.
Original post by McHumpy92
Yes...most girls look rough as hell without make-up

I've said it before but it makes me feel guilty because they look rough as hell and they know it so don't want you looking at them. So you have to kind of ignore them or speak to them when I don't want to look at them and they don't want me looking.

Just feels awkward.

What if the reason they look rough is because of the makeup 🤔
Reply 79
Tbh when I go for a guy - I base it on my looks without make up.

That been said I don't think most girls look rough without make up, it's just that you are so use to seeing a girl in make up, perfect skin and the like, that when she takes it off, reality hits.

If every woman walked around with no make up on - you wouldn't consider it 'rough', you would consider it 'normal'.

Quick Reply