The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Westminster Architecture

Hi! I am an applicant from Malaysia. I understand that Wesminster has successfully produce a lot of President Medal Winners. This is why I have applied to this school. But the school ranking is not as high.
Can anyone elaborate on this further? What are they lacking of? :rolleyes:
And I notice that the entry requirement of this school is now higher which is AAB for architecture.
Most importantly, I need more information about the portfolio? Only up to 10 images? Printed or Electronic/digital form?

Thank you!!! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there im a first year student studying Architecture at Westminster. The reason it is ranked low on the ranking table is due to the university not being a "Campus" based uni. This make the uni get ranked low as it is not like other architecture univeristys where most people would be staying on a campus rather than just attending lectures etc. the course so far is great the tutors are very good aswell most have taught at the AA or Bartlett.

With the portfolio i would go with mainly art drawings paintings etc and models. As they are not keen on digital images from when i applied. Also you send it via email and upload the images to a website and email them the link. My portfolio just included images showing different drawing techniques such as sketches life drawings, technical drawings etc. The Main point is they dont have to be Architectural drawings they can be of anything.

hope that helps slightly. Good luck
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by archi-Ell
Hi there im a first year student studying Architecture at Westminster. The reason it is ranked low on the ranking table is due to the university not being a "Campus" based uni. This make the uni get ranked low as it is not like other architecture univeristys where most people would be staying on a campus rather than just attending lectures etc. the course so far is great the tutors are very good aswell most have taught at the AA or Bartlett.

With the portfolio i would go with mainly art drawings paintings etc and models. As they are not keen on digital images from when i applied. Also you send it via email and upload the images to a website and email them the link. My portfolio just included images showing different drawing techniques such as sketches life drawings, technical drawings etc. The Main point is they dont have to be Architectural drawings they can be of anything.

hope that helps slightly. Good luck

I am glad to understand that the teaching quality is satisfying. Well, my first choice is UCL. You can really see that I love to be in London. How about the facility prepared by the school? Sufficient? Do you get a place in the studio?

And I have sent my application last 2 weeks and got my application confirmed by the university last week. However, I have not received any email from Westminster telling me to prepare the online portfolio. I have a friend that applied last year did not receive any email from Westminster until she gest into another university. Heard of this situation? Thank you so much for your kind help!
Reply 3
Original post by GotMyBootsOn
No. The reason it is low ranked is the average score of first year students on entry in terms of UCAS points. The average for Westminster is only 320, which is ABB. That is VERY high for any course at Westminster, but ludicrously low for architecture, one of the toughest disciplines there is (Cambridge students start with and average UCAS 520). But at Wasteminster 320 is the average. There will be students let in with BBB and maybe even with CBB.

It means that the students on architecture courses at Wasteminster are some of the worst qualified in the country, and they evidently stay that way because 50 percent are still unemployed six month after graduating. Westminster would be even lower down the league table except for the fact that it has a high teacher:student ratio - essential because there are such a lot of students who do not have English as their first language.

It works because if you return to a third world country with any sort of degree from London, then you have got it made. But then again have you noticed how many buildings tend to collapse when there's an earth tremor in a place Pakistan?
:frown:

Here are the facts. They speak for themselves:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-architecture

I referred to this table when I researched and chose the university. But architect does not take the full responsibility on the structural safety. It is very much on the structural and civil engineers. And if this university is that bad, how can they produce so many President Award winners? I am wondering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending