Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Aviators Society

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeniev)
    Hiya! Can I join again? Just left a soc
    Sure! Just reapply. =)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay... just did
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welcome fellow airman! :gthumb:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yay! cheers
    It's really weird, until about 3 years ago, I hardly flew, and it was always into the US, but now in the last 3 years I've flown like 30 times or more... mostly to England
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Mush on board.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the welcome!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In other A380 related news:

The EASA and FAA have reviewed footage of the A380 evacuation trial carried out on Sunday and have released the official result. The A380 is certified to carry up to 853 passengers and 20 crew (including flight-deck crew). 873 people were evacuated out of 8 doors (the plane has 16) in 78 seconds - 12 seconds less than the limit.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Coolio! :p:

I think there's a documentary about the A380 tonight on German TV so I'm very likely to watch that...
    I guess it must be really expensive though just to fly economy with that plane... I probs will at some point anyways
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Excellent!

I can't believe the evacuation was executed so rapidly.

My country (Singapore) will be the first to receive the first 10 A380s' pushed out of the final assembly line. It'd be a proud moment for us when the first operational A380 takes off, fully loaded with passengers.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same...

Great! so my first holiday destination next year will be Singapore... so I can finally fly those things :p:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    oops, I meant fly on an A380, though I really want to become a pilot after uni
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeniev)
    oops, I meant fly on an A380, though I really want to become a pilot after uni
    Ah, I considered the option of becoming a professional commercial pilot.. but eventually decided against it. Family simply wasn't supportive of the idea, and the downsides of being a pilot (irregular schedule, early retirement, health effects due to prolonged exposure due to UV radiation, etc) were just too much to bear.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, same with me. Whenever I come up with the idea of me being a pilot, my family just goes: yeah, well, what about your own family?

Have never considered the health effects though... I was thinking to be a pilot only for a few, i.e. 3/4 years and then work at I dunno the Stock Exchange or some similar place...

My maths teacher told me about this guy who was his student a couple of years back and he was now a pilot doing long flights and earning a lot... :p: But apparently if you're in his position, you'll get a long flight once a week and usually free time in between... though I kinda doubt it... he'd probably do short flights in between... oh well....
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welcome joe8232 and flyboy123!

Now can somebody suggest something fun that this society should/can do?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've been wondering why nobody answered this thread for quite a while... :hmmmm2:

Hm... *trying to think of a worthwhile topic*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if everyone has MSFS 2004 or something we could get our favourite aircraft and fly together or something? Silly i know lol
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    Well if everyone has MSFS 2004 or something we could get our favourite aircraft and fly together or something? Silly i know lol
    I don't even have my PPL yet. It costs a bomb here!

Anyone know how much it costs to get a PPL for someone living in London (and what's the closest airfield anyway?)?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't ask me, am still just dreaming of being a pilot...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    I don't even have my PPL yet. It costs a bomb here!

Anyone know how much it costs to get a PPL for someone living in London (and what's the closest airfield anyway?)?

MSFS 2004 = Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004:p:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    New guy on the block - djmarkmclachlan! He was a former engineer with the FAA.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 11, 2014
New on TSR

Which unis have the poshest students?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.