The Student Room Group

Interview with an Army Officer Careers Adviser (?!)

I've sent off my AOIF and have had a response saying I need to arrange a meeting with the Army Officer Careers Adviser. I have done so, it's in February. What is going to happen then? What will they ask me and how can I prepare..? :smile:
Reply 1
It's a general talk about you , why you think you want to join the Army and what you think you might like to do.

If the careers advisor thinks you are a reasonable candidate they will arrange the next steps in the selection process depending on your situation and will talk to you about going on regimental visits etc.

Prepare by getting a good general knowledge of the Army and thinking through what you would like to do.

Starting working on general current affairs etc is always a good idea - you can't start too soon.
Reply 2
Original post by georgie94
I've sent off my AOIF and have had a response saying I need to arrange a meeting with the Army Officer Careers Adviser. I have done so, it's in February. What is going to happen then? What will they ask me and how can I prepare..? :smile:

I wouldn't worry about it too much at all. They will ask you basic questions just to see whether you have any intelligence whatsoever and can speak properly lol.

Everyone pretty much gets through that stage. I didn't even go through that stage, just sent my officer interest form application off straight away.

If you send it off online there is a huge delay because of backlog. So i would suggest finding out your area career officer who deals with your areas application forms and send a paper application, you will hear back very quickly compared to online responses.

She/he will then invite you to an Army Officer Insight Day, which will basically involve tasks like what you will be doing at Briefing and Main Board. Such as fitness assessments, interview, debate, leaderless tasks.

After that its pretty much up to you to decide when you want to set a date for your Briefing interview thats if you still want to go through with it. Ive got mine at the end of January :smile:

Good Luck!
Reply 3
Original post by armyboy
It's a general talk about you , why you think you want to join the Army and what you think you might like to do.

If the careers advisor thinks you are a reasonable candidate they will arrange the next steps in the selection process depending on your situation and will talk to you about going on regimental visits etc.

Prepare by getting a good general knowledge of the Army and thinking through what you would like to do.

Starting working on general current affairs etc is always a good idea - you can't start too soon.

Oh god okay so I need to get up to date on current affairs... General knowledge of the Army - does that involve all the equipment they use etc.? Because that would be a total nightmare to learn.

Original post by llb_ant
I wouldn't worry about it too much at all. They will ask you basic questions just to see whether you have any intelligence whatsoever and can speak properly lol.

Everyone pretty much gets through that stage. I didn't even go through that stage, just sent my officer interest form application off straight away.

If you send it off online there is a huge delay because of backlog. So i would suggest finding out your area career officer who deals with your areas application forms and send a paper application, you will hear back very quickly compared to online responses.

She/he will then invite you to an Army Officer Insight Day, which will basically involve tasks like what you will be doing at Briefing and Main Board. Such as fitness assessments, interview, debate, leaderless tasks.

After that its pretty much up to you to decide when you want to set a date for your Briefing interview thats if you still want to go through with it. Ive got mine at the end of January :smile:

Good Luck!

I originally applied online and got a response after about a month, then they made me also do a paper one (bit annoying but whatever)
Do you know if everyone makes it through to the Insight Day stage? Good luck for yours!
Reply 4
Original post by georgie94
Oh god okay so I need to get up to date on current affairs... General knowledge of the Army - does that involve all the equipment they use etc.? Because that would be a total nightmare to learn.

I originally applied online and got a response after about a month, then they made me also do a paper one (bit annoying but whatever)
Do you know if everyone makes it through to the Insight Day stage? Good luck for yours!

Yeh the Insight Day isn't graded and doesnt effect you going through. It just gives you an insight of what the process is going to be like. Funny enough so many people, think around 90% failed the bleed test, because its actually harder than you would think, so i would really work on your running. Ideally you would need to be able to run for 40 minutes at a good speed maybe 13.5, 14 km an hour on the treadmill atleast with 2% incline.

During the debates the questions they ask are quite random and was nothing about what i read in the newspapers, but still read them as they will give you good general knowledge and you never know they might ask you something that happened recent even though if wasnt the case for me.

The asked us questions about whether "we really need a monarchy and whats their importance in a modern society" and "do you think global warming is the major impact on world destruction" quite interesting topics and its great to see everyones views. Just be open to opinions and dont shut them down.

Thanks :smile: any further questions about the insight day feel free to ask, and when you do attend, really take as much advice and information as possible from it!

PS: During your personal interviews, they will ask you questions like: why the army, why would you be ideal, what area are you interested and why, what do you know about the area you are interested in (do research). They will also ask you some maths questions, so practice doing simple maths in your head.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by llb_ant
the bleed test,

This is a typo. He means Bleep Test (I've seen people on here who would be freaking about that).

Original post by llb_ant
Ideally you would need to be able to run for 40 minutes at a good speed maybe 13.5, 14 km an hour on the treadmill atleast with 2% incline.

Ideally you'd be able to run outside and nowhere near a treadmill for that. Running outside is where the military likes to run.
Reply 6
Original post by ProStacker
This is a typo. He means Bleep Test (I've seen people on here who would be freaking about that).

Yeh sorry haha

Ideally you'd be able to run outside and nowhere near a treadmill for that. Running outside is where the military likes to run.

I agree and they tell you that there, although a treadmill is useful to monitor speed and distance a bit easier, so its good to go on that also. I add the incline to 2% as it imitates outdoor conditions a bit more than usual.
Reply 7
Original post by ProStacker

Yeah 'bleed test' does sound a little worrying. Oh it is so not the weather for outdoor running but I guess I'd better get used to it!

Quick Reply

Latest