Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice needed!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really fancy buying a DSLR camera, never used one before but fancy getting into digital photography. Don't know much about DSLR cameras or cameras in general and need advice on what to get. Budget i've set is up around £400 mark. Was thinking about getting the Nikon D3100 -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00403MA4M/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_ rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=cent er-2&pf_rd_r=0Y6CJ3RW8CEPDHCT303P&p f_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_ rd_i=468294

Just wondering if that would be a good choice? Thanks for the help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to shoot?

With a DSLR the lenses are a more important consideration than the camera body itself, i.e. you’ll gain better performance and flexibility by investing the bulk of your £400 in lenses rather than the camera itself.

The camera you’ve linked comes with an 18-55mm VR lens which would be suitable for landscapes and general photography. However, it wouldn’t be so useful for sports, wildlife and low light (indoor) work.

Tell us what you intend on shooting and we’ll be able to advise you further.

Additionally, are you willing to purchase used equipment?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccw)
    What do you want to shoot?

With a DSLR the lenses are a more important consideration than the camera body itself, i.e. you’ll gain better performance and flexibility by investing the bulk of your £400 in lenses rather than the camera itself.

The camera you’ve linked comes with an 18-55mm VR lens which would be suitable for landscapes and general photography. However, it wouldn’t be so useful for sports, wildlife and low light (indoor) work.

Tell us what you intend on shooting and we’ll be able to advise you further.

Additionally, are you willing to purchase used equipment?
    Bear in mind that a lot of people just starting with DSLR photography don't really know what they're going to take photos of, so in that sense a kit lens is great - inexpensive, if you find that you're having no problems great, if not you can identify what you want to do that you can't currently.

I identified that I wanted a wide angle because I was trying to take landscapes with an 18-55 and not getting all that I wanted into the frame.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 24, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.