The Student Room Group

University... definitely not the time of your life.

Before going to Uni you get all this talk about how amazing it is and how it's gonna be the best 3 years of your life. I don't get where any of that's coming from.

I like going out and getting pissed a couple times a week but then for the rest of the week I have literally nothing to do. I'm just sat around in my ****ty little room watching TV online and listening to music which is so depressing. I have virtually no lectures and when I do have them they are incredibly boring and badly organised.

Also before uni you're fed the idea that everyone has matured and that it's nothing like school or college. I've found that completely the opposite. Even though most people are civilized and not openly unpleasant they are still just as desperate to show off and be the coolest and there's the same old social ladder which comes from everyone knowing each other. It's way more insular than I expected in that respect.

At the moment I'm having doubts whether to continue with uni as I came for the experience as much as anything and at the moment it's really not living up to expectations. Along with that I don't want to land myself in a load of debt for nothing.

Anyone else in the same boat? Does it get better in the second year once your out of Halls?

Scroll to see replies

Are you in first year? If so, remember that you are not even half way through your first year—it will get better.

I had a similar thought when I started first year. I think the main problem is that people haven't really found good friends yet or necessarily a "group" of people to settle into. Seek out opportunites to meet more people and make an effort to get to know those around you either where you live (i.e. halls) or on your course; I'm sure they want to make friends as much as you do.

I'm now in second year and I am loving my university experience. (AND you can definitely have a good time without getting absolutely f***** every weekend—I hardly ever drink and my friends couldn't care less.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
You have nothing else to do?

So .. you aren't doing as much work as you should be, but apart from that. You aren't in any societies or anything? You can't go to university, do **** all new, and then complain it isn't as good as you thought it would be.

As for being stuck in your room etc. I think i spent more time (outside of going to sleep) in our communal area last year, in halls, than in my room. But this depends how you fit in with the people around you i suppose.

Some people are as immature as before, but the mentality does change and i guess that just depends who you end up with.

If someone is fairly sociable, takes lots of chances and tries new things.. i can't see how university can't be that amazing tbh.
I agree with you that people don't mature at university half as much as you're led the believe, but I think university (as with anything) is what you make it.

Also, can I ask what course you do/at which uni? Surely you must have reading/tutorial work to do?
Reply 4
Original post by Rascacielos
I agree with you that people don't mature at university half as much as you're led the believe, but I think university (as with anything) is what you make it.

Also, can I ask what course you do/at which uni? Surely you must have reading/tutorial work to do?

I'm studying Film. It literally is a complete waste of time and money. And there is NO recommended reading / tutorial work we are expected to do. I could go out of my way to do extra work but I find it boring and it would be unnecessary.
Original post by rememberme
I'm studying Film. It literally is a complete waste of time and money. And there is NO recommended reading / tutorial work we are expected to do. I could go out of my way to do extra work but I find it boring and it would be unnecessary.

Sense makes now.
So if you weren't at uni, what would you be doing instead that would be so much more fun?

It's good to build up a base of knowledge for later years. You might find it boring but no-one promised you that your entire university career would be full of completely fun stuff.
Why on earth are you surprised that you have nothing to do when you've taken a complete non-subject? :lolwut:

To me, that begs the question... why are you at uni? :confused:
Did you go because of a love of the subject, or were you just expecting the "student lifestyle"?

Do you have a passion for Film and just dislike the way it's taught at your uni? If that's the case, you could do extra, relevant work that interests you. Just because you're not given recommended reading etc, doesn't mean you can't. Surely you're old enough to do some independent reading/research etc.

Or is it the actual subject you find boring? :s-smilie:
Reply 10
If film isn't engaging you, swap courses?

Unless, if you are honest with yourself is this coming from having not made as many friends, not going out as much, not having as good a time as you were expecting? Because you're the only person who can make that happen... join some societies or something.

I do have sympathy though mate, I hated first year. Loads of people do, then they adjust.
Reply 11
To be fair mate, it's probably down to your course.

I'm sure you could change courses and actually do something a lot more challenging that'll keep you motivated also.

I'm not bashing FILM in anyway.
Reply 12
Completely agree uni is hyped up when reality is your thrown into a new place, with strangers, completely different style of working and theres huge pressure to act a certain way. Reality is it can be extremely lonely, you can miss home comforts and family and friends, a lot of people are out there to prove they're cool which gets irritating, it takes a while to settle down and work out who really are your friends and to get into routine with work.
I'm getting there but still have days I just think stuff this, I want to go home. Its tiring and emotionally draining, nights out get boring and even by the end of first term while you have friends you don't REALLY know them.

Think your error is work, the lower your lecture hours the more youre likely to need to do in your own time. Even if you don't feel you have anything just make work, do some reading, go to the library to break up the hours... remember youre at uni to get a degree at the end of the day, to go on to get a job doing something your passionate about so really motivate yourself to work and do extra so you have greater chances of getting a first.
Reply 13
Full of grown up children who have to get drunk in order to compensate for the lack of a personality.
it's true
Reply 15
Yeah uni has been **** for me too.
I don't know what course you're doing but if you have hardly any lectures that's telling me you should drop it. Take another one, do something that puts you to work and that is going to be of some value when you graduate.

When you do a subject that really engages you it can be the most rewarding thing ever. Don't waste your time and money doing whatever it is you're doing now. Get an actual education.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
I agree with you that people don't mature at university half as much as you're led the believe

Thats because you're in 1st year, the maturing process goes on in 2nd and 3rd year when people start thinking of the future.

To the OP everyone's experience is different, my uni experience was great although if I remember rightly I did come out of 1st year feeling slightly disappointed that uni hadn't lived up to expectations. I wasn't unhappy in 1st year just after the initial excitement had worn down I felt it was a bit of a damp squib. Also halls was the time when I felt a bit caged and bored at times. Living in shared house in 2nd/3rd year felt more social, even though there were fewer people around, I also got more involved with my course and uni life in general and had a part time job then, so life didn't revolve around hall people any more.
Reply 18
I agree that university likely isn't "the time of your life" for many people, but I think your situation has gone beyond that and you are genuinely unhappy. It seems you are totally disillusioned and aren't even enjoying or engaging with your course which is the primary motivating factor for actually going to university in the first place.

Personally, I would consider looking into dropping out or perhaps looking into course and university transfer options. Being unhappy, disillusioned and generally being pissed off with it all can and will affect your performance and grades, which is never a good thing.
Uni has been a good experience for me in the sense that I've met so many different people, and I'm constantly surrounded by like-minded, sophisticated and cultured people who can hold an intelligent conversation.

However I don't know how some people treat the 1st year as a party year. All I was told by others is that 1st year is going to be crazy fun etc. and I've always been an outgoing person but I just can't find the time! Bombarded with so much work (have to do it, 1st year counts towards degree), and I'm still struggling for time even after skipping some homework and lectures (my way of 'time management')

Ironically my social life has actually gone down compared to my years at high school/sixth form. It's not just me it's virtually everybody on my course who feels this way, really surprised by just how little fun we've been able to have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending