Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mech BEng at Liverpool or Foundation Mech at Manchester

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is there to consider ?

4 of my choices were foundation years in Mechanical (Manc, Sheff, Lough, Nottingham) and 1 was a BEng at Liverpool.

I've just heard back from Liverpool for BEng Mechanical being my first reply and I've got an Unconditional.

Had my heart set on Manchester because of the city and stuff though.

Any thoughts ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had my heart set on Manchester, didn't make it first year so took a year out and resat. All worth it in the end
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd just go for Liverpool if they're offering you a place straight into first year. Get the degree done and over with quicker and start earning quicker.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the unconditional offer! May I ask what your predicted grades are and as results?

I'd go for the Manchester foundation if that's what your heart is set on, it's only an extra year and I think it would be worth it as it's the place you WANT to be.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boozah)

4 of my choices were foundation years in Mechanical (Manc, Sheff, Lough, Nottingham) and 1 was a BEng at Liverpool.

I've just heard back from Liverpool for BEng Mechanical being my first reply and I've got an Unconditional.

Any thoughts ?
    Can i ask, What are your subjects + grades?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    I had my heart set on Manchester, didn't make it first year so took a year out and resat. All worth it in the end
    Yeah i actually went onto the BEng in Manchester in 2010 but had a car accident in the crimbo holidays that ruined my Jan exams so i decided to get really depressed and drop out, with the aim of reapplying.

That didnt exactly go to plan as they upped the grade requirements to AAB from BBB when i went (Bad Times).

Brilliant University and city though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i actually went onto the BEng in Manchester in 2010 but had a car accident in the crimbo holidays that ruined my Jan exams so i decided to get really depressed and drop out, with the aim of reapplying.

That didnt exactly go to plan as they upped the grade requirements to AAB from BBB when i went (Bad Times).

Brilliant University and city though
    Have you not contacted them and told them of your situation? Will they not be lenient with you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maloneyt)
    Congrats on the unconditional offer! May I ask what your predicted grades are and as results?

I'd go for the Manchester foundation if that's what your heart is set on, it's only an extra year and I think it would be worth it as it's the place you WANT to be.
    (Original post by IamSerious)
    Can i ask, What are your subjects + grades?
    Sorry I made my original post a bit misleading.

I've already got BBB in Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

I'm resitting a module in Maths as I was 3 marks off an A too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    Have you not contacted them and told them of your situation? Will they not be lenient with you?
    Yeah they said they cant consider me for the BEng but can for the foundation year.

I filed mitigating circumstances whilst I was there and they were passed, but it meant I had to resit like 9 exams and redo courseworks in the summer and I just didnt find it possible. Especially not with engineering.

I think because they accepting mit circs its probably why they wont allow me to start fresh again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Any thoughts ?
    Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but you created a thread on the 25th of April 2011 bashing Manchester University after doing year 1 of a Mech Eng degree.

You are now here, on the 23rd of November 2011 reapplying to Manchester again? But this time for a foundation year (level 0) although you have done year 1 :confused:

confused.com ...

Your post about Manchester back in April was:

Well ask me for info, I'm just polishing off my first year.

However....

I've had probably one of the ****test years of my life at Manchester because of the course, and as a result have finally decided to drop out.

If your like me and you looked up on UNISTATS before making your University choices of Firms and Insurances, you'll see that Manchester student satisfaction is about 55%.

You then think how can this be so? Its so low ? Surely it can't be right... And then you Firm Manchester anyway, because the University as a whole has a great International Reputation and its a Red Brick university.

Engineering is an intense degree, but at Manchester you just don't get any help what so ever.

The lecture theatres have alot of people in them, because youll share a few with the Aerospace guys,
    All the lecturers bar a few are foreign, and don't have much patience....
    Way too much coursework, however quite a lot of people complained and they've insisted on its reduction

The University has left me racist towards Koreans, because of one dick called Edward Chan, whos so up his own arse he can taste bile...

And yeah this threads getting rather long, but ask me for further details....

As for me, I'm re-applying and hopefully going to be going to Cardiff to finish it off...
    Care to shed some light?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 12, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.