The Student Room Group

Still not over ex after four months?

Well I broke up with my ex girlfriend four months ago after going out with her for four years since the age of fourteen.

I found messages on her Facebook saying she didn't love me and wanted some "fun". Since then she's told me she always knew we would break up (nice huh!). She says she's completely over me and doesn't have feelings for me what so ever. Which I'm fine with respecting even if I don't agree.

I still find myself wanting to text her, see her and call her. It seems as though every little thing reminds me of her. I haven't hidden in a little hole since breaking up, I've got with new girls, gone to reading festival and just started university. But none of this has helped me stop wanting her company back?

Any help would be appreciated?!
hmm well keeping busy doesn't mean that you've erased the feelings - it's just that you've put them on the back burner....

it might be an idea to actually sit down one day and just think about why it ended - i'm sure there's things about her that make her less than perfect.....yes it sounds a bit touchy feely but it seems like keeping busy isn't helping so try combining it with another approach? The very fact that she's saying things like that, which are pretty hurtful, just shows you what kind of person she is - i mean, aren't you glad that you aren't with someone as spiteful?

WAIT - you broke up with her???.....
Reply 2
Original post by Star_struck
hmm well keeping busy doesn't mean that you've erased the feelings - it's just that you've put them on the back burner....

it might be an idea to actually sit down one day and just think about why it ended - i'm sure there's things about her that make her less than perfect.....yes it sounds a bit touchy feely but it seems like keeping busy isn't helping so try combining it with another approach? The very fact that she's saying things like that, which are pretty hurtful, just shows you what kind of person she is - i mean, aren't you glad that you aren't with someone as spiteful?

WAIT - you broke up with her???.....

Well it's quite hard, we only really argued about one thing. That was her going to the pub all the time with her new best friend who I had never met, seeing loads of guys from her work at the pub too. I didn't mind it once or twice but she use to go every single Friday night and sometimes on weekdays too. And she used to work during the weekends so I didn't see her much then.

Yes, I broke with her. I confronted her about the messages and she said they were all true and she wanted to end it. That was it, no more. When I text her now she shows no emotion to wanting me back not even liking me. We never cheated on each other.

Her reason was "we have both changed, your more confident now a days and I'm friends with different people who you won't like".
Reply 3
To be honest, 4 months isn't that long and to say you'd been together for 4 years! Someone once told me that it takes half the length of the relationship to get over someone, but that definitely wasn't true for me. I dated someone for 4 years and was over him in less than a month, but another guy I was with for 2 months and it took me over a year to get over him. Just keep yourself busy and it'll happen when it happens :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Well it's quite hard, we only really argued about one thing. That was her going to the pub all the time with her new best friend who I had never met, seeing loads of guys from her work at the pub too. I didn't mind it once or twice but she use to go every single Friday night and sometimes on weekdays too. And she used to work during the weekends so I didn't see her much then.

Yes, I broke with her. I confronted her about the messages and she said they were all true and she wanted to end it. That was it, no more. When I text her now she shows no emotion to wanting me back not even liking me. We never cheated on each other.

Her reason was "we have both changed, your more confident now a days and I'm friends with different people who you won't like".

ah i had a feeling...

hmm...it's going to take a while. 4 years is a huge chunk of your life so you can't expect it all to erase so quickly. Keep trying as hard as you are, eventually things will get better :smile:

i guess from what you've said that you are upset about the way she has thrown everything back in your face....i'd say maybe this was her way of dealing with it. she may be over you, but she may not and is just putting up a front....focus on yourself instead of her, as you have been.

time and more time :smile:.......(possibly the most annoying word ever in terms of break-ups)
Reply 5
Original post by Star_struck
ah i had a feeling...

hmm...it's going to take a while. 4 years is a huge chunk of your life so you can't expect it all to erase so quickly. Keep trying as hard as you are, eventually things will get better :smile:

i guess from what you've said that you are upset about the way she has thrown everything back in your face....i'd say maybe this was her way of dealing with it. she may be over you, but she may not and is just putting up a front....focus on yourself instead of her, as you have been.

time and more time :smile:.......(possibly the most annoying word ever in terms of break-ups)

She said to me last night, "We both want different things, leading totally different things and I could never go back there now" Which makes me think she use to want to!?

It's so hard everyday all I do is spend most of my time thinking about her.
She said to me last night, "We both want different things, leading totally different things and I could never go back there now" Which makes me think she use to want to!?

It's so hard everyday all I do is spend most of my time thinking about her.

hmm you know what you have to do - you just have to stop analysing things. So what if she thought that in the past you guys "could" have still been together - live for today, not the past :smile:. When you analyse things, it just gets too difficult. I now refuse to analyse things and deliberately divert my attention to something else so that I don't upset myself!

You know yourself better than anyone else does, so whatever people say may not be what works for you. Being single is a great thing - now you can figure out what your own goals are, what you want in a relationship, what you don't want in a relationship etc. Focus on the positive, not the negative. Eventually you will be able to cope with it. :smile:

Things will look up eventually :biggrin:
Just takes time
Reply 8
Original post by britishgoose01
Just takes time

But I'm afraid because I'm at uni first year, getting over a long term girlfriend will hinder my chance of getting another girlfriend.

I pulled this amazingly fit girl in a club on Friday, but I didn't follow through with it as I wasn't ready.

I think about her all the bloody time. Every little thing remind me of her so all I ever seem to do is be like "oh when I was with my ex we did this, she did that etc".

It's so bad but it's all I can talk about?!

It's been four months, I'm in despair!
But I'm afraid because I'm at uni first year, getting over a long term girlfriend will hinder my chance of getting another girlfriend.

I pulled this amazingly fit girl in a club on Friday, but I didn't follow through with it as I wasn't ready.

I think about her all the bloody time. Every little thing remind me of her so all I ever seem to do is be like "oh when I was with my ex we did this, she did that etc".

It's so bad but it's all I can talk about?!

It's been four months, I'm in despair!

Let your ex go do what makes her happy! You've been with her for four years so i presume you really loved her. I f you did and still do then let her be happy, thats the only way youll get past this! Wanting her back will only increase your anguish, let her go! Let her be happy, br happy for her and get on with your own life! Yeah she was a mjor part of you life, look back and cherush thoses moments and think yeah: shes happy now. If you really loved someone then you would accept their happiness over anything , even if its without you! Its okay to lovve her still and not be over her but let her be happy, let her enjoy life!

At the end of the day, lifes too short, youll find somone whos meant for you and then this gril might turn around and regret letting you go! #dont wait for her to do thatm you accpet her happineess now and carry on!
Reply 10
i know what you mean i had that troble as well but now i found a new girlfriend ive been with her for nearly 1 year and 10 months, just try and be friends with her and i no you will have problem with this but you will have to fight throught them if you just want to stay friend with her
Original post by Lefse
To be honest, 4 months isn't that long and to say you'd been together for 4 years! Someone once told me that it takes half the length of the relationship to get over someone, but that definitely wasn't true for me. I dated someone for 4 years and was over him in less than a month, but another guy I was with for 2 months and it took me over a year to get over him. Just keep yourself busy and it'll happen when it happens :smile:

Yeah I agree with this. I was with someone for 5 months and it took me well over a year to get over it. He got over our breakup within the next HOUR :mad: but that's because he never properly cared anyway...

No contact is seriously the best policy. The feeling will gradually wane off. 4 years is a long, long time so it's soo understandable you feel this way. You have much more right to feel this way than I did! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending